Old 01-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #21
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Thermocouples use special extension wire and special connectors, and there are various types, and they are polarized. Type T and type K are the most likely for this temp range.

Although it is bad form to take one thermocouple and drive more than one device, it manytimes works. And sometimes, it causes noise to develop as a given display might generate a "thermocouple current pulse test" to test for an open connection.

If you use "thermistors" or Pt type sensors, different wiring rules apply.
It sounds (and looks) like the OP's sensors were NOT thermocouples. They appear instead to be one of the many that use a proprietary "one-wire" serial data connection.

Thermocouples are different, and would require a different input on any gauge/controller.

boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Some SONOFF modules have the option to connect temperature sensor probes and then you can write scripts on the SONOFF module to do whatever you want. They are WIFI enabled and could be put anywhere on the boat and consolidated with a small app on a tablet that would let you capture history, or drill down on previous data / running averages, etc.

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
In the past year, I saw a post on someone who had also made a monitoring system, that used 1 digital gauge, and a rotary switch that had multiple inputs, 9 if I remember correctly. Part #s were included. Did a search, but canít find. It may have been elsewhere, but thought it was here. Anybody recall such a post?
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Yarradeen
Vessel Model: Harriscraft 48
I am in middle of building monitor and logging system for temps now.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ect-36667.html

Unlimited number of sensors on bus system. With data logging. I have being running a prototype now and it interesting to review temps over time.

With exchaust mixer if your sensor is on the metal you will see a spike in temp at engine shut down as the water stops and the heat soaks into mixer from hot exhaust. While running mine sits on 37c but rises to 60c at shutdown.
yarradeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: long beach, ca
Vessel Name: JuliBel
Vessel Model: DeFever 41'
Don, where did you mount the temp sensor for the prop shaft? The stuffing box, I assume, but just want to confirm (in case I get a wild hair and replicate your setup).
ddare0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Obsession
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddare0351 View Post
Don, where did you mount the temp sensor for the prop shaft? The stuffing box, I assume, but just want to confirm (in case I get a wild hair and replicate your setup).

I placed the sensor on the clamp furtherest aft where the seal fastens to the shaft log. An article by Steve Dí Antonio stated that the temperature of the log/seal should not exceed seawater temp by more than 30-40 degrees. It seems logical that the loss or reduction of cooling water or any bind that may develop due to misalignment would increase the temp beyond that range.

Good luck

Don

steelydon is offline   Reply With Quote