View Poll Results: Bow and / or stern thrusters?
No thrusters 36 33.03%
Bow thruster 29 26.61%
Bow thruster variable speed 2 1.83%
Stern thruster 7 6.42%
Stern thruster variable speed 1 0.92%
Bow and stern thruster 25 22.94%
Bow and stern thruster variable speed 4 3.67%
I have thruster Lust 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #61
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have an angled birth with an extremely narrow fairway behind me. Even on my 40' sailboat, backing out of the slip, turning against the prop-walk was extremely difficult with some wind/current conditions. Fortunately, I never hit anything but a couple of times I came close to needing to fend off. That was with a large rudder and a proper keel.

On the North Pacific, it would be impossible to do without at least a bow thruster in some wind conditions.
We probably have quite a bit more room in our fairway, and there's probably quite a bit less windage on our aft end compared to yours...that, and Badger is only 30'
Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #62
Guru

City: Sydney
Thrusters and fyybridges have one thing in common there are those that have them and those that just wish and dream about them .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #63
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Thrusters and flybridges do go well together.
The extra windage makes a bow thruster almost a necessity in blowy conditions.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #64
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Thrusters and flybridges do go well together.
The extra windage makes a bow thruster almost a necessity in blowy conditions.

Keep dreaming
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #65

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
After 34 years of single screw, no thruster boats, I'm thrilled to "ONLY" have twins, but no thrusters! The added maneuverability of the twins seems more than enough. Having said that, if this boat came with thrusters, I wouldn't have turned my nose up at them.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #66
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Gaston

That's a great statement that I promise you I'm going to steal.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #67
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have an angled birth with an extremely narrow fairway behind me. Even on my 40' sailboat, backing out of the slip, turning against the prop-walk was extremely difficult with some wind/current conditions. Fortunately, I never hit anything but a couple of times I came close to needing to fend off. That was with a large rudder and a proper keel.

On the North Pacific, it would be impossible to do without at least a bow thruster in some wind conditions.
One should endeavor to get the perfect home berth. I've got a berth that faces into the prevailing wind, is sufficiently wide, lacks current, and the fairway is wide enough. Suits me! Regardless, the bow thruster is a blessing on a single-propeller boat, particular in other situations.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #68
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Me...I am following my hero, Don of Moonstruck.

Starting next year, no permanent home port.

Maybe a max of one month in one spot for the next few years...in between may be rv trips to family and friends.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I am almost done with the installation of my stern thruster. Just down to some finishing details. I can't wait to get the boat in the water and give it a try.
Attached Images

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #70
Guru

City: Seattle
Ughh I hate this thread because I'm going through the bow thruster decision making now. New steel construction, single diesel. Working out the final outfitting and every little item adds another $5k here and there. My conclusion (as of today haha) is to have the tunnel welded in with the bolt on flange, so a thruster can be added later without welding.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #71
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Ughh I hate this thread because I'm going through the bow thruster decision making now. New steel construction, single diesel. Working out the final outfitting and every little item adds another $5k here and there. My conclusion (as of today haha) is to have the tunnel welded in with the bolt on flange, so a thruster can be added later without welding.
With a new build, if you don't add the hydraulic pump to the motor, install the hydraulic lines while everything is open, and place the related stuff and wiring, you will kick yourself later. Bet the install labor is 50% more once the boat is completed.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #72
Guru

Quite true. Luckily the thruster tunnel is right below the anchor windlass, so whether we power with hydraulic or 24vdc it will be an easy future install
Old 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #73
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
If I was doing a new build, I would definitely add the bow thruster initially. I know your situation is a bit unique than most of us on a new build, but still....

You are correct that adding an electric thruster wouldn't be too bad after the fact, but I wouldn't think so with a hydraulic system. I can't recall the size of boat you are building and I know that it is all compromises, but if you plan to dock the boat much I would add a hydraulic thruster now so it is an integral part of the system.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #74

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Osprey is a single screw with a full keel, She has very little prop walk. When we bought her we budgeted for variable speed bow and stern thrusters. So I currently have thruster envy, but will soon have variable speed bow and stern thrusters. We have selected side power variable speed DC thrusters with a hold feature and a remote control.

Our thinking is that with both bow and stern thrusters docking won't be a situation that we dred and it will be much easier (possible) for me to get the Admirable to learn to dock her. After she gets comfortable docking with thrusters, I'll try to get her to learn to dock without using them. The variable speed thrusters and the hold feature, will allow us to hold her against the dock while we secure the lines.

I believe that when it is just the two of us onboard, either of us needs to be prepared to single hand the boat encase of a medical emergency.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #75
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
Osprey is a single screw with a full keel, She has very little prop walk.

I dunno 'bout dat. Mine had quite a bit. :-)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #76
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Where we cruise, wind is of secondary importance in docking our vessel. Most important is current. A few knots of current on the beam plays havoc. Twins and a bow thruster (added 7 years after boat built) largely cure the current concerns. But there are still those pesky unpredictable swirling current days .
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #77

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I dunno 'bout dat. Mine had quite a bit. :-)
I'm speaking from second hand experience only. I know the previous owner had trouble during the sea trials. He was obviously quite stressed, which caused him to use the boat very little. I believe it is better to make the boat fun to use.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #78
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Have you found that the nozzle increases turn radius or reduces maneuverability in some way?
Never having had the nozzle off I couldn't tell you but I would suggest it affects manouverability as I have limited directional steerage in reverse.

Turning circle seems fine and with bursts of fwd and rev I can pretty much turn her on her own length
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
... and it will be much easier (possible) for me to get the Admirable to learn to dock her...

I believe that when it is just the two of us onboard, either of us needs to be prepared to single hand the boat encase of a medical emergency.
Portager, your words make me think.

As a typical macho man I like to think that I don't need no stinkin' thruster. But in reality my daughter acts as my first mate and is eagerly trained to handle the boat should something happen to me. However in the future when she goes off to university then it will be just my wife and I. Hmmm