Boat Service Protocol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For work on my AT, I sort of want to upgrade my electronics completely. The best man for the job.... well, during the boating season... he works in the NE, winter... slack time in the NE, he comes south. He knows the AT inside and out. He gave me an estimate and an approx labor cost. IF I stay out of his way..... there will be 'no lost motion.' He, like others, will get the best wholesale price on the equipment, charge me retail and then his hourly rate to install. Because he knows the ATs and I stay out of his way..... he will be on and off the boat as soon as possible and on to his next job. Someone not familiar with the ATs.... lost motion.... looking how to install the equipment. The owner would basically be paying for his learning 'how to install and where all the wires go.'
So, I wait.... I tell him what I want to do and I wait till winter and he cycles south to work on the other ATs in FL. Small jobs and emergencies, I can get done with local labor.... Something like replacing all the electronics... it would be better to wait for him. It will result in fewer hours labor. Does that make sense?
The old parts are his.... he can use them on another boat to repair another boat with 15 year old electronics. I can't fault him for that, I know he will make a profit selling my old parts to someone else. It's an 'dont ask what happens to the old equipment.' He is honest as the day is long. He makes allowances ie. what he can use elsewhere and reduces the price he will charge me. The major cost is his labor and because of his knowledge of the boat.... the overall labor cost will be less. LOL IF I get in his way and slow him down with LOTS of questions and 'me helping him', the labor costs will be greater. He does know, I hate 'hidden fuses.' If you dont understand that, you will learn.... at your expense for additional labor cost. IF something stops working, I can call him and he will tell me where to look for the solution, blown fuse behind a panel. So far, it has never been a problem because he does the install correctly and the fuses do not blow. NO learning curve.
We all learn quickly not to panic or get upset when the tech does not show up as promised....

Many boat yards do not have enough skilled labor jobs to keep a good tech employed.

Their simple answer is to hire the local electronics supplier labor.

It works out well as the electronics tech has probably done enough installations , and repairs to do an acceptable job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom