Boat name survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...ter/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center-FAQ/

Excerpts:

WHAT ARE THE VESSEL NAME AND HAILING PORT MARKING REQUIREMENTS?

Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

HOW DO I CHANGE THE NAME OR HAILING PORT OF MY VESSEL?

The name and/or hailing port may be changed by filing an application for change on form CG-1258 with the appropriate fees. If your vessel is subject to a mortgage of record, you must obtain permission from the mortgagee on form CG-4593.

If you prefer Kon Teaki, you can officially change it. I think "Teaki" looks sort of neat, and does hark back to Kon Tiki; but I actually prefer "Teaky" in this case. It's less "cutesy," and just more obvious somehow. So if it were me I'd keep Kon Teaky.

What I wouldn't do is have the official name be Kon Teaky and then put Kon Teaki on the hull. Just do it right.

Last edited:
Naranda, because most can pronounce it without asking how, it's comprehensible on the radio, and it's a myth many haven't heard from the Pacific Rim.

Sorry, It's Kon Teaky and I can't change it now. Frosty you again made my day, I thought I blew it with the spelling.

And sorry about the xtra questions. It appears that my new boat is breaking every "name" rule in the book.

Since mine is not a commercial vehicle the naming rule look like this:

"The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull"

OK, please look at my photos below.

The numbers on my boat are very clear on the bowel. RIGHT.

The only name placement on my boat is up high near the fly bridge. Please see hard to read photo, (Dream too). WRONG!

There is nothing on the back of the boat.

There is no VISIBLE "port" name like "Seattle " ANYWHERE on the boat. MAYBE the dinghy is hiding it. WRONG!

1. Can I place my new name were the old one was? I'd imagine that they would have forced the owner to change name locations by now? Am I wrong?

2. If not, where would "you" place the new name and port on my boat?

3. If I place my name and port location where it is now, Can I paint WHATEVER I want on my dinghy or the back of my boat?

Brian

Attachments

• 20200615_182900.jpg
    20200615_182900.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200615_181033.jpg
    20200615_181033.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200613-220200_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220200_Gmail.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
How’s about New Moon.

Once bought a boat named “Bolongo.” Named for a bay in St. Thomas. Change it because people called it Bologna. (Baloney)

Here's to Kon Teaky :flowers:

I take it that in Washington even if USCG documented you display both state numbers and registration sticker? (Not saying this is wrong as states vary but just curious and want to make sure it is actually USCG documented since you believe it is.)

"The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull."

So put the name where you want and add your hailing port.

With the dinghy situated like that*, some put name and hp on transom AND on dinghy bottom but USCG seems to say anywhere visible (they do say hull though, which to me means below gunwale but not sure how stringent that is.

BTW, the "number" the USCG is referring to is *not* those state numbers on the bow. It's the documentation number (just digits) and should be permanently affixed somewhere below decks on a structural part of the hull (see FAQ).

*Is it just me or does anyone else want to put a cigar in the dinghy's "mouth" in that view from astern? :lol:

Duckh,

If your boat is USCG documented, no WA number for the boat. I went through that. Once I could show Washington DOL my cert of documentation, they scrubbed the WA number from my file, told me to take the number off the boat.

Just show the registration tag on the windows port/starboard.

So DH,

I got to wondering about those state numbers and registration sticker on the bows of your documented boat. Some states do want the registration sticker (colored square) on there, but not usually the state numbers.

So I went to the Washington State Vessel Registration Numbers Instructions PDF (at www.dol.wa.gov) and here is what they have to say:

Documented vessels Federal regulations prohibit the display of the WN registration number on vessels documented with the U.S. Coast Guard. You also must meet all Washington State registration requirements. Display state registration decals on the forward half of the vessel so they are easily visible for law enforcement.

--So was your vessel documented and incorrectly displaying numbers?
--Was it not documented but you have now documented it?
--Or is there a misunderstanding and it is a Washington State registered vessel and not documented with the USCG?
--Something else I just don't know about?

(BTW, I was typing while GoneFarrell was posting.)

Last edited:
It is uscg documented (I think) and I just renewed it when I signed.

My dinghy doesn't smoke.

Attachments

• 20200615_182746.jpg
    20200615_182746.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That looks like a cruising permit or something? I don't think it's a USCG documentation number. It also does not come up in a USCG doc number search, FWIW.

Do you have the USCG form CG-1258 application?

Is there a "NO xxxxxxx" permanently affixed in 4" numbers somewhere on the inside (engine room?)?

PS: Your dinghy just looks a bit sly then ;)

PPS: Just realized I could look up "Dream Too"

Last edited:
If this is your boat, then your Official Number is 1247845.

I think the CG 1258 is the form you used to change it over to you.

Attachments

• dream too.png
    dream too.png
    101 KB · Views: 24
OH GOD I DON'T KNOW. I just wanted to name my boat and now I'm going to spend my life in some secret floating Coast Guard prison :)

OK now. I think Pacific Maritime title arranged everything for me. They said what ever I have to place on my boat will come with directions on where to place it.

That was yesterday friday 8-7. So nothing I did yesterday will be updated online for awhile.

Last edited:
It is uscg documented (I think) and I just renewed it when I signed.

My dinghy doesn't smoke.

Pretty sure the picture is the sticker you get when you buy your permit to re-enter the USA from Canada. As I recall if your boat is over 30 feet you will have to have a current year number (which you purchase on line) when you clear customs. Been a couple of years since I bought one but it took some time to get the sticker in the mail.

Pacific Maritime Title renewed these below although the receipt wasn't that specific.

Does anyone know what's the 5 year certificate is I just spent $500 for below? And will I have to renew it every 5 years? I guess I should have asked :)

"Documentation fees for 5 year certificate $500"

"Excise tax washington department on licensing $360 boat, $175 dinghy.

Last edited:
I believe that may be your boat in the image I posted. Does the Hin listed there match yours? If so then there is your Official Number as noted.

Yes, recreational vessels can document for 5 years (or one year).

Looks like the PO was erroneously displaying the WA numbers/letters on the bow.

I need to update the numbers on the bowel? That sounds crazy and how'd that happen?

I have a line up of questions I plan to ask the PO. What do you want me to ask him, (exactly please as I know none of this).

Is this something Pacific maritime should have checked and done for me? What should I ask them?

One more thing, how in the He** do you know all of this??

Brian

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you are confused about now.

Is the documented boat in the image from USCG I posted above yours? It matches the year, length, and name.

Does the HIN (that's like a car's VIN) shown match yours?

If so then you just need to remove the Washington reg numbers from the bow (keep the square sticker that goes with them there, or same if you get new sticker), and add your name and hailing port.

Not sure what you mean by "bowel." The Official Number (again see photo above and presuming that is your boat), should already be someplace permanent in your engine room or similar. If the PO did not do that, then you can.

Perhaps review the posts above and summarize what you do understand.

PS: Nobody's gonna die here (at least until you leave the dock :whistling: )(I kid!)

Last edited:
I just got home from work.

1. That vessel information matched my paperwork.

2. I'm getting a new WA red registration sticker soon in the mail to replace the expired one.

3. "then you just need to remove the Washington reg numbers from the bow"

Are these my "Washington reg numbers" below?

"wn 7727 LD"

You want me to remove this number "wm 7727 LD?

If it's just the red sticker you want me to remove I've got that coming.

4. I will place the official number

someplace in my engine room. I might even tattoo it to my forehead in case I'm found in the engine room if my boat sinks.

This screwed with my head as I thought the PO messed something up.

5. And no I didn't know "HIN was my boats "VIN" number. I think that's somewhere on the back of my boat. And now I do, thanks to you :)

Last edited:
Okay, progress is being made.

1) Great. Now you know it was in fact documented, even before you bought it.

2) Yes, you put the new square WA sticker on the bow. One on each side, about where it is now.

3) Yes, remove the Washington numbers (WN 7727 LD) (Boat state abbreviations are not always the same as post office ones; hence WN not WA.) But you don't need to take my word for it --- see the WA state info I posted above. If documented, you do not display the numbers, only the square sticker.

4) You can look around the boat and see if the Official Number is already placed somewhere. Otherwise, just follow the description above. "Permanent" can be as simple as mailbox numbers epoxied in place, or as fancy as etched boards. The idea is it should be affixed to a permanent structure of the boat in such a way that removing it would be destructive or obvious.

Yep, HIN is "Hull Identification number." Totally separate from documentation, and more like your boat's VIN. It's on all boats built after.... sometime in the 1970's. It is 12 digits, and is often placed on the outside of the transom, up near the gunwale on the starboard side. You can look up a HIN decoder to see what it means, but in a nutshell, the beginning is the builder's letter code, then there will usually be the boat model, then the hull number (like say they built 80 of them, you might have #59), and then the last four digits are when it was made. The first two of that set are the month and year the hull was started (J2 would be October of 2002) and the last two are the "model year" (say 03 for 2003). So, just to pull a fake HIN out of a hat:

BBC32309J203

Could be

"Bob's Boat Company"
32-footer
Hull number 309 of that series of 32-footers
Hull laid (started building) November of 2002
2003 Model year boat

Or to not be theoretical, your HIN looks to be as follows:

PYS42250F787

--So PYS is the code for the builder (Pacific Yacht Sales in Seattle according to USCG, but probably built in Asia and imported by them)
--42 is the length or model
--250 is your individual hull number
--The hull was laid in June of 1987
--It is a 1987 model year boat

Last edited:
I think were almost finished.

I kinda like the way the numbers "WN 7727 LD" look. Makes my boat look important :) Kinda like PT-109 :)

Do I have to remove them? If I yes, I'll send them to you in case my boat ends up in The Smithsonian or The Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

Also, I'm afraid if I remove a decal, there will be a sun stain where the numbers or decals used to be? You know remove them and there's an outline where the numbers were? Or maybe there's a clear coat over them and I peel them off? Whoa

I'm also worried this will happen when I remove the old name decals "DREANS TOO"???? What do you think?

This is very cool information!! It tells me a little bit about my boat. I assume "psy" number might be the importer?

PYS42250F787

--So PYS is the code for the builder (Pacific Yacht Sales in Seattle according to USCG, but probably built in Asia and imported by them)
--42 is the length or model
--250 is your individual hull number
--The hull was laid in June of 1987
--It is a 1987 model year boa

Last edited:
I kinda like the way the numbers "WN 7727 LD" look.

Do I have to remove them?

Only if you don't want to flout Federal Regulations:

Documented vessels Federal regulations prohibit the display of the WN registration number on vessels documented with the U.S. Coast Guard. You also must meet all Washington State registration requirements. Display state registration decals on the forward half of the vessel so they are easily visible for law enforcement.

Ironically, I'd say that if anything was "cooler," it would be a documented vessel without state claptrap on the bow.
Also, I'm afraid if I remove a decal, there will be a sun stain where the numbers or decals used to be? You know remove them and there's an outline where the numbers were? Or maybe there's a clear coat over them and I peel them off? Whoa

It would be most unusual to have clearcoat over them. Most likely there will be "fresher" gelcoat underneath because it has been protected. You can buff it a bit or just let UV do it after a while.

I'm also worried this will happen when I remove the old name decals "DREANS TOO"???? What do you think?

Possibly there will be some ghost mark that may fade over time (or you can encourage it by using products). I wouldn't consider leaving the wrong name on to avoid that.

This is very cool information!! It tells me a little bit about my boat. I assume "psy" number might be the importer?

Yes. Apparently made by CHB (Chien Hwa Boats) and imported by PYS.

Thanks, that's all clearer. Aren't you local in the PNW?

Since my boats name is Kon Teaky, if I use the right size lettering and it's visible, can I place a wooden plaque with this below on it?

KON TEAKY
SEATTLE

It looks like it's going to have to go on the fly bridge where the old name "dream too" was. Remember my dinghy covers the back of my boat.

I started a new thread on this topic as well

Have nice Sunday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-065659_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-065659_Google.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200809-084238_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-084238_Google.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200613-220200_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220200_Gmail.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hmmm.... I don't think this is really something you want to do in a rush. If you haven't already, check how difficult it is to do a title/document change if you give them the existing name (or temporary name) now and change it later."

I've done this on a few boats and it's not that hard. I even made up the home port from a body of water rather than a place name (Long Howard Bay, NY, not a real place) and got the papers about the same time as any other submission. Now I am waiting for my CG title on a boat I have not changed the name on and because of the China Flu it has been 6 months.

I saw no need to document my current boat which I bought for 50% more than the documented vessel I had just sold. I have no homeport on the transom, and the state title requires no name; so I can change the name on a whim.

Rich, Florida probably has more boats than anywhere. I thought the names on boats were Coast Guard regulated, (and some state regulations).

Don, "Long Howard Bay, NY" is quite funny. Also, I'm a Respiratory Therapist and have whitnessed hundreds of sick and dying ones due to "COVID-19". Plus I bought my boat from funds I made while working in NYNYs COVID crisis. This while going home nighly to my hotel room alone shocked from what I just whitnessed, (the employees exit passed two refrigerated Semis filled with bodies). If you threw a "snip" in due to my past posts on the Covid thread, I abandoned that thread months ago and will never return. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone.

Now daily I get traveling job offers to work in your state, hence I KNOW where the "hotspots" are. So please take care.

My wife is Chinese / Korean.

I guess I'm asking Kindly, please don't bring politics onto my threads. No need for anyone else to expand on this. I'm thrilled to be talking boats on a boat site.

Last edited:
Rich, Florida probably has more boats than anywhere. I thought the names on boats were Coast Guard regulated, (and some state regulations).

Don, "Long Howard Bay, NY" is quite funny. Also, I'm a Respiratory Therapist and have whitnessed hundreds of sick and dying ones due to "COVID-19". Plus I bought my boat from funds I made while working in NYNYs COVID crisis. This while going home almost nighly in tears. Daily I get traveling job offers to work in your state, hence I KNOW where the "hotspots" are. So please take care.

My wife is Chinese / Korean.

I guess I'm asking Kindly, please don't bring politics onto my threads. No need for anyone else to expand in this, let's have fun.

USCG does NOT regulate names. I remember looking on their wedsite and seeing any number of Calypsos. They do regulate the name's and homeport's size and placement IF you are documented. I would NOT document a boat and would not continue documenting one if I bought it so - there is just no reason to do it for a strictly rec boat.

THANKS RICH! I think that boat has sailed as my title company just finished everything. I wish your post was first, would have saved me 9 page's of reading:)

When you pick your name grab the mike on your boats radio. Do Not key it. Make an emergency call out loud using the name of choice. This is what all will hear on the air. Do you still like your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom