Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Hampton VA us is one of the most cruiser friendly ports I know of. The other that comes to mind is Vero Beach.

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #42
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
We have an anchor alarm and remote notification, but of course it requires an internet connection for both the boat and you wherever you are. We find that is often not the case. So many of us live in areas where we can always be connected, and forget that there are vast areas where there is no internet access at all.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Bohemia Bay
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack 15m
This is my first post to TF. After reading this entire thread, I thought I'd share a recent experience. I don't want to hijack the OP, I just thought it appropriate to add it and not start a new post with the same content.

We were anchored out June 15-16 just off Sand Island on the upper Chesapeake. We had already spent the night anchored and were enjoying playing with our dogs on the beach. Around 1pm I notice this knucklehead attempting to anchor and proceeding to drag through the entire anchorage of approx. 65 boats. Lucky me, this guy's anchor "caught" about 20 ft. off my port side. I quickly returned to my boat and assessed the situation. Arriving at my boat, I witnessed him requesting his friend to raft up next to him. Mind you, this guy had a 3/8" anchor line off his stern that was doing most of the work. He was drifted in a way that his bow anchor wasn't holding much. I observed this guy's registration numbers and took a picture to document the event. Seeing me take the picture, he became belligerent and demanded to know what I was doing. I said I wanted to document who he was so when he hit my boat I had proof. He demanded that I move and that he had the right to anchor there even though he was 20ft. away. I told him he should really consider pulling up both his anchors and reset elsewhere. I explained that he was beam to both the current (2-3kts.) and wind (12-15 kts.), dragging, and to be that close to another anchored boat was completely inappropriate. He told me to F off and proceeded to crack a beer and watch his kids swim. Having a premonition of where this was heading, I immediately started my engines and prepared to get underway. I had no sooner done this when he was now about 10ft. or less from my port bow. I asked him if he was waiting to hit me before taking action. Realizing the imminent collision, his friend started his engines and cast off. His friend had no sooner done this when this knucklehead's stern 3/8" anchor line parted. I shouted to him "there goes your anchor" and his wife jumped in the water and swam after it. She succeeded, and survived without him running her over while he was trying to reset his bow anchor. Again, positioning himself beam to the wind and current. Realizing this was only the first act in this clown's show, we decided to head back to our marina and call it a day.

Please take notice to this guy's PA registration numbers on his cabin side. Tells the whole story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14C9D600-6BB4-44D7-A592-FF7E9E8A4CB2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	78767  
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #44
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
And PA boaters are?????
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #45
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm amazed at the response you got. Brings up a question of how many people have anchor alarms that will notify them when they aren't on the boat and/or cameras they can access when not on the boat.
Brings up the question of why would you need one if you have decent anchoring gear and I'm not talking about the one that looks nice and fits the anchor roller best or the one that held in 20 knots (yet drags in 25)

And what if you don't have mobile reception or someone to bail you out when it goes pear shaped?

We have anchor alarms and on occasion with a violent storm approaching we use it.
We've seen 80+ knots on our anchor and never moved, so we have no issue leaving the boat for a quick trip ashore.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #46

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Snowy Owl
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-022
Reg numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
And PA boaters are?????
I think it is about the 0000 following the PA and not the PA part.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #47
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieJ View Post
I think it is about the 0000 following the PA and not the PA part.
Couldn't make the numbers out....but I hope you are correct...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
PA bad boater anchor guy needs to back off on the beers and pizza and consider spending some time on the bike at the gym. Seriously though, I can see why you were not happy. I generally keep my mouth shut and tolerate a lot when anchoring but when people get nasty it does go over well with me either. I would have left as well.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes, it's about the 00000 numbers. Nothing derogatory about PA boaters. My Hailing Port is in PA.

I was just sayin, that if the guy dosen't have enough smarts to use his real registration numbers and not the ones that are on the back of the decal as an example...
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Quote:

I resized the picture for better details.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA_Boat.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	78774  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwex View Post
I resized the picture for better details.
Wifey B: And not level. He had to be drunk when he put them on.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #52
Wil

City: Presently SE Georgia
Vessel Name: Gone Walkabout
Vessel Model: KK39
Good story to keep in mind, including your wise strategic retreat.. No way to get through to an angry fool like that. What I'm baffled by is the logic that would motivate anyone to anchor with two anchors abeam wind and current? Is there ANY reason why someone might do that? Or he's just a belligerent and ignorant neophyte, full stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwex View Post
This is my first post to TF. After reading this entire thread, I thought I'd share a recent experience. I don't want to hijack the OP, I just thought it appropriate to add it and not start a new post with the same content........
........Please take notice to this guy's PA registration numbers on his cabin side. Tells the whole story.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #53
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
We've been in the same boat so to speak -- but in different conditions.
It was 2am and gusting over 40 mph. We had green water coming aboard over the bow. I'd been up checking things when I noticed a credit card captain's charter boat dragging down on us. Because this wasn't the first time we'd experienced this, we'd learned not to tie off the bitter end of the anchor rode - instead we fit it with a float. We just turned the rode loose in the dark and reanchored out of harms way with one of our other 4 anchors. This is not a condition where un-snubbering and hauling aboard chain rode would be an expedient process, especially since we didn't have a windlass. We had previously eliminated chain altogether in the Bahamas due to the great holding of the sand bottom. Later we found that with modern anchors and boats our size (35' and under) that chain is totally unnecessary for any of the cruising grounds we frequented.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
We've been in the same boat so to speak -- but in different conditions.
It was 2am and gusting over 40 mph. We had green water coming aboard over the bow. I'd been up checking things when I noticed a credit card captain's charter boat dragging down on us. Because this wasn't the first time we'd experienced this, we'd learned not to tie off the bitter end of the anchor rode - instead we fit it with a float. We just turned the rode loose in the dark and reanchored out of harms way with one of our other 4 anchors. This is not a condition where un-snubbering and hauling aboard chain rode would be an expedient process, especially since we didn't have a windlass. We had previously eliminated chain altogether in the Bahamas due to the great holding of the sand bottom. Later we found that with modern anchors and boats our size (35' and under) that chain is totally unnecessary for any of the cruising grounds we frequented.
Your so right! The reliance on chain and complicated snubbers when there are high quality Nylon/chain rode available that is " self snubbing" and weighs a lot less than 150' of chain that barely used......is suprising.
If I was in my sailing yacht days I think I could easily explain why that idiot in a stinkpot was anchoring with 2 anchors in a swinging anchorage........but prehaps this is not the place......
Cheers
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 AM   #55
Wil

Pretty rigid opinion.There is a place for both chain and rope rodes. My trawler has both. Sometimes chain is the right way to go, sometimes rope. Stinkpot--oh you so pure 'sailing yacht' guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren View Post
Your so right! The reliance on chain and complicated snubbers when there are high quality Nylon/chain rode available that is " self snubbing" and weighs a lot less than 150' of chain that barely used......is suprising.
If I was in my sailing yacht days I think I could easily explain why that idiot in a stinkpot was anchoring with 2 anchors in a swinging anchorage........but prehaps this is not the place......
Cheers
Old 07-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
On my Dad's 28-foot sloop we had a short length of chain connected to a nylon-rope rode. (Similarly with my own much shorter cutter-rigged sailboat.) Our primary sailing purpose was to race, so the rope and absence of mechanical retrievement was an advantage by eliminating weight. That's not my reasoning with a trawler with all-chain rode.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Why all chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Pretty rigid opinion.There is a place for both chain and rope rodes. My trawler has both. Sometimes chain is the right way to go, sometimes rope. Stinkpot--oh you so pure 'sailing yacht' guy.
Hi Wil, sorry to sound so opinionated, I spend many years sailing ('boating?') and anchoring and was barely even aware of snubbers and never has issues I couldn't deal with. I think a comon reason for the all chain rode is they just simply work better with a windlass. As the sailing/trawlering population is aging and average boats are getting bigger windlasses are becoming a necessity/norm.( chain also sounds stronger too).
BTW I know all about blow boaters they get the wind for free and want everything else for the same price... I know, I spend much of my boatbuilding career in power boat factories.
Sorry I think I'm hijacking this thread.
Cheers Warren
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #58

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
How timely a topic. Been anchored in E. Tawas, MI since Sunday. Great spot. Woke this morning to find us dragging to shore. The bird's nest is our good hold for 4 days, then off to shore (ziggy line going to top of pic) The rest is trying to reset our Delta plow with all chain rode. Kept coming up with a washtub full of weeds. Finally gave up and headed for the docks.

I figured we'd circled the hook so many times, the weeds just pushed the sand/muck off the hook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180720_095816_LI.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	78866  
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #59
Wil

+1. Back on thread. Knock on wood, but so far either my oversized 55lb. Fortress on chain/rope or my way oversized plow (55kg. Vulcan ) on chain have done the trick. One will hold when the other won't. But there will come a day when neither will.
Quote:
Sorry I think I'm hijacking this thread.
Cheers Warren
Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #60
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
complicated snubbers
If you find a rope with a hook on the end a challenge you really shouldn't be on the water at all.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote