Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #201
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Larry, what do you think would have happened if AFTER the second inspection, you politely asked for the Commander's name and phone number? If you called and asked why two inspections in two days?
As the saying goes, "don't poke the bear"
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #202
Senior Member
 
Great Laker's Avatar
 
City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Larry, what do you think would have happened if AFTER the second inspection, you politely asked for the Commander's name and phone number? If you called and asked why two inspections in two days?
We were on the Great Loop, which is a fantastic adventure unlike anything we had ever done before, and were moving on north up the ICW in a few days. It was not a good time to engage on this issue. If I was living locally, I might have just set up a meeting with the Commander as you suggest.
__________________
Larry
American Tug 34 - Great Laker, and Gold Looper
Home port on the vast unsalted Lake Michigan
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #203
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,991
Fox Stated:

As the saying goes, "don't poke the bear"





True, but if you hide behind a rock you won't get mud on you either.

If it bothers you and has cost you a half of day of cruising then why not ask why? Maybe the Commander will instruct the trainees to back off the multiple inspections. Never know unless you ask. Of course this is done with politeness and respect.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #204
Senior Member
 
Great Laker's Avatar
 
City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The USCGAUX doesnt get paid otherwise I would be one...

I already have some of the uniform stuff...
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking of the CG Reserves when I wrote that.

Members of the Coast Guard Reserve are paid for all time spent training or deployed. In addition, they receive most of the same benefits as full-time Coast Guard members, including tuition support, training and plenty of time on the water. Combine travel, career training and strength of character to see why the Coast Guard can be so rewarding.

Does anyone know if the CG personnel or CG Reserves have any role in training the CG AUX?
__________________
Larry
American Tug 34 - Great Laker, and Gold Looper
Home port on the vast unsalted Lake Michigan
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #205
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
That makes sense.

I've never heard anyone in our area complaining about random police boardings, have you? How about back east? Australia? Europe?
Never heard of random boardings in my area. They'll pull up alongside and have "a conversation", not much different than a DUI checkpoint. One of my buddies is on the RCMP boat in town. I'll ask him.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #206
Member
 
vistar's Avatar
 
City: Loudon, TN
Vessel Name: M/V Sea Duck II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 34
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 17
Although I have a current USCGA inspection sticker, I guess I own an inspection magnet. The tug seems to attract Auxiliary attention every month or so. Mostly they just want to walk through and see the layout. None of the inspections seem focused on safety issues. (They don't look very hard and have never tested smoke or CO detectors, looked closely at extinguishers or inspected the Y-valve.) I have a recently documented boat, but it hasn't been pulled to remove the state numbers. So, the USCGA doesn't know there is a documentation number and certificate inside. When the state numbers are removed in a few weeks, I'll move the state registration stickers to side windows at the helm.
vistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #207
Guru
 
City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,041
I have been amused by those upset over being boarded. Isn't this just another extension of our safety laws? Why have mandatory life jacket laws, or flare laws, or any other safely contraption if there is no way to enforce it?. Many on this site were aghast/bemused when i mentioned my opposition to mandatory life jacket laws. This is merely an extension of the state's safety mandate. If you like safety laws, don't complain about their enforcement.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #208
Guru
 
sbu22's Avatar
 
City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,165
My personal record was three (3) times in one day - actually a 5-6 hour period. I was one of only a couple of boats mozying around the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain. They were training new guy Reservists and Auxillarists. Each time pulled up in an RBS that looked like a clown car - packed with people. First time was OK; second was stupid, but they've got to train; the third time the Senior Chief CPOIC and I had a red-faced discussion, they did not board, and I didn't see them the rest of the day.

And, referring to a prior comment, they did have a "machine gun" (M240, no belt, feed cover free [really], on the bow tripod. I expect that a typical civilian out for a cruise might find that intimidating. For Pete's sake, they have weather covers. Put them on when you're conducting this training - it's not like ambush is imminent during daylight on open water in the Lake.

I don't think the shift to Homeland Security has been good for the Coasties. The HS attitude seems to be rubbing off.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #209
Guru
 
danderer's Avatar
 
City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 559
Sounds like a very sensible course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Larry, what do you think would have happened if AFTER the second inspection, you politely asked for the Commander's name and phone number? If you called and asked why two inspections in two days?
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #210
Senior Member
 
Great Laker's Avatar
 
City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Sounds like a very sensible course of action.
With regard to making a complaint to the local commandant...

I have issued complaints on occasion to the county sheriff, township managers, and city officials, regarding violations of Nuisances Per Sa and zoning ordinances. These rarely go anywhere despite following their procedures for filing. You need to be really committed and push hard to get any meaningful followup.

Again, if I lived in the area and wasn't on a fabulous vacation, I likely might have pursued this course.
__________________
Larry
American Tug 34 - Great Laker, and Gold Looper
Home port on the vast unsalted Lake Michigan
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #211
Guru
 
City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC36Monk View Post
I've never been boarded but I assume it would go like this: they pull up and pass a line saying "permission to come aboard, sir? And anyone who sensing they probably will anyway says "yes" and has consented. But, a polite friendly "I'd prefer you didn't, my wife/girlfriend/kids are sleeping in their bunks and I don't want to risk disturbing them" is one approach, the other is no, permission not granted. Is there something Else I can help you with?
It won't go exactly like that. Read 14 U.S.C. 89.

"The Coast Guard may make ... inspections, searches, seizures, ... upon ... waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws ... petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel ... examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance.

They are not requesting permission. They are politely informing you that they will be boarding your vessel.
SoWhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #212
Guru
 
danderer's Avatar
 
City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 559
Who said anything about making a complaint? (Rhetorical question.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
With regard to making a complaint to the local commandant...
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #213
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Never heard of random boardings in my area. They'll pull up alongside and have "a conversation", not much different than a DUI checkpoint. One of my buddies is on the RCMP boat in town. I'll ask him.
That's what I figured...just trying to see if this is a US of A specific issue.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" MurrayM
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #214
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
It won't go exactly like that. Read 14 U.S.C. 89.

"The Coast Guard may make ... inspections, searches, seizures, ... upon ... waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws ... petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel ... examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance.

They are not requesting permission. They are politely informing you that they will be boarding your vessel.
Interesting. So of those boarding a PO has to be one of them?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #215
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I have been amused by those upset over being boarded. Isn't this just another extension of our safety laws?
The slowly boiling frog could look at it that way.

If you accept that as the norm this week, next week you will accept them coming to your home (my boat is my home)
Then what about listening devices for your "safety" (NSA phone taps already done)
Looking over your shoulder on computer (facebook as one example - done)
Cameras for your "protection" (look up, there are cameras watching everywhere now)
Every financial transaction tracked and location logged.
And and and.

I thought it was 2018 but it feels very 1984.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #216
Guru
 
City: NC
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
That's what I figured...just trying to see if this is a US of A specific issue.
Off of the top of my head, I can think of three boardings outside the US, one in the Philippine Islands and two off of France. The two in France were on the same boat but different owners. One owner was from the US and the other is European. Those two boardings had a bit of angst due to the officials boarding the boat. In the Philippine Island boarding, which was at night, the owner was taken to see the local head man, leaving his wife alone on the boat with a young man with an M16. Everything turned out ok but it was a bit stressful.

Seems like I vaguely remember a boarding off of Mexico which went ok.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #217
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistar View Post
Although I have a current USCGA inspection sticker, I guess I own an inspection magnet. The tug seems to attract Auxiliary attention every month or so. Mostly they just want to walk through and see the layout. None of the inspections seem focused on safety issues. (They don't look very hard and have never tested smoke or CO detectors, looked closely at extinguishers or inspected the Y-valve.) I have a recently documented boat, but it hasn't been pulled to remove the state numbers. So, the USCGA doesn't know there is a documentation number and certificate inside. When the state numbers are removed in a few weeks, I'll move the state registration stickers to side windows at the helm.
Why do you allow them to walk through? They have no right or authority. I use to run across them on the lake and never allowed an inspection as I saw no need for it.

You do realize I hope that it's not legal for you to still have the numbers on the boat. Do you have the name and board according to USCG requirements?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #218
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Probably not, as the Canadian Coast Guard is not a law enforcement agency.

The RCMP or other police forces can though.
I have been aporoached by the RCMP a couple times while under way. They just took note of my posted Customs #. On one occasion, I answered a couple shouted questions and we all went on our way
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #219
Guru
 
City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,041
Thatís the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
The slowly boiling frog could look at it that way.

If you accept that as the norm this week, next week you will accept them coming to your home (my boat is my home)
Then what about listening devices for your "safety" (NSA phone taps already done)
Looking over your shoulder on computer (facebook as one example - done)
Cameras for your "protection" (look up, there are cameras watching everywhere now)
Every financial transaction tracked and location logged.
And and and.

I thought it was 2018 but it feels very 1984.

All of you who believe in mandatory safety equipment on a dink or a big boat should be happy to see the CG. No use having rules which arenít enforced. Being inspected is the price you have to pay to ensure your safety. If you think life jackets, flares, etc should be mandatory, even on a dink, donít complain about getting boarded. Embrace big brother.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #220
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
All of you who believe in mandatory safety equipment on a dink or a big boat should be happy to see the CG. No use having rules which arenít enforced. Being inspected is the price you have to pay to ensure your safety. If you think life jackets, flares, etc should be mandatory, even on a dink, donít complain about getting boarded. Embrace big brother.
I doubt any of us could pass the standard boat inspection if applied to our homes.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012