Big Surf - coast guard pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Pacifica
Vessel Make
Cape Dory
Take a look at the images in this news report -

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/02/coast-guard-takes-on-giant-surf-in-epic-training-session

Quite astonishing
coastguard1.jpg

Very impressive and I'm happy that they put in the training. I've see their Clatsop Spit training grounds at the mouth of the Columbia River when it's kicking up.

Another group that trains for heavy weather is the Canadian Coast Guard. Cox Bay near Tofino is one of their training grounds.

I've been told these USCG and CCG boats are quite similar in design.

CCG at Cox Bay

Helmets and 5 point seat belts I hope.

Very impressive and I'm happy that they put in the training. I've see their Clatsop Spit training grounds at the mouth of the Columbia River when it's kicking up.

Another group that trains for heavy weather is the Canadian Coast Guard. Cox Bay near Tofino is one of their training grounds.

I've been told these USCG and CCG boats are quite similar in design.

CCG at Cox Bay

The helmsman almost let the boat go sideways. I wonder what was happening.

The helmsman almost let the boat go sideways. I wonder what was happening.

Its training, probably allowed it to broach as needed in the training...have seen it before. Maybe not, but possible.

I know in USCG aviation we did many more things that the other services did rarely if at all in training.

These men/women are pros and risk their lives doing this stuff. Kudos to them and I thank them for their service.

Youtube some of the videos on this stuff. Seeing it from the helm gives one a whole new appreciation for the risks.

Like this:

I'd love to see some of you do that on your boats. Me? On my boat? Ain't no way.

Yeah, it might be fun to do on a boat owned and maintained by the gov'ment, but on my own boat? Not so much.

Attachments

• smdory jump2.sized.jpg
    smdory jump2.sized.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom