Big Red Boy/Bew-ee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buoys go off-station pretty often. Often they wash up in remote locations, but it always makes the news when the end up on a public beach.

Surprisingly clean for having been at sea that long..... can we get that paint?

Surprisingly clean for having been at sea that long..... can we get that paint?
That paint works particularly good if you let your boat roll around in the surf for awhile....:D

Water and sea waves can do some amazing things.
For instance, the buoys at the Columbia River entrance are anchored with (3) 9 ton concrete blocks; that's 27 tons of anchor. And they drift off station frequently so the buoy tenders and crews for the Coast Guard are constantly resetting them so they "keep watch".

This sure looks like a Hazard to Shipping that should have been secured and removed long before it beached itself after 2 years!! Who would want to hit one of these in the dark?? We notified the USCG about a missing marker off of Narragansett, RI several years ago after a hurricane went through. They seemed a bit confused by the whole thing, and called several times on our cell phone after the event. Surely, since USCG places these things should they not also own them when they break loose?

The USCG may be switching buoy moorings eventually.

The metal pyramid anchors are so superior over their concrete counterparts on smaller buoys, they may eventually become the standard on large buoys.

Finding one after it breaks loose isn't all that easy or a priority. A storm that can break them loose may produce higher priorities than a missing ATON. Usually they wind up nearby...not on an oceanic circle.

Last edited:
Presumably the anchor concrete stayed put, it was the chain that broke!!

Not necessarily. Like any anchored item, it could have drug and wound up in a situation to overtax the anchoring setup causing the separation.

Thus the USCG's quest to find better anchors than concrete blocks.

Last edited:
This sure looks like a Hazard to Shipping that should have been secured and removed long before it beached itself after 2 years!! Who would want to hit one of these in the dark??

What? It's not where your chartplotter says it should be ?! And could get right in the way of where your autopilot is steering you? OMG!

It was probably not drifting that long. It was probably hung up somewhere.

Plus, as a hazard to navigation, I'll take one of those buoys any day. They're big, have good radar reflectors and retro-reflective material which really stands out when hit with a spotlight.

Far better than logs, deadheads, containers, idiots in small unlit boats, refrigerators, water heaters, docks, floats and all the other things I've seen at night.

Perhaps you have never done an overnight run???

You talkin' to me? Done (too) many. Have you? Sounds like not.

I don't like them though. I like enjoying the sights of the sea in daylight.

And as others have said, those things throw off one big radar signature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom