Big boat questions from a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Living aboard and passage making? Buy the smallest boat your comfortable with. For many this means a max of 50-55 feet that has all of the conveniences of a dirt home.

Way too much boat for a couple and especially an inexperienced one. Look in the 30-40 ft range. This question is barely worth thinking about.

Reactions: Art
Blast from the past
I would have done a lot of work on that back in the day as Lloyd's Ships is where I did my apprenticeship.

Gotta love the twin Gardner powerplants, still going strong.

Attachments

• Empress Lady Barbara.jpg
    Empress Lady Barbara.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Way too much boat for a couple and especially an inexperienced one. Look in the 30-40 ft range. This question is barely worth thinking about.

We run 60ft as a couple with no issue
I would happily go to an 80 fter

We run 60ft as a couple with no issue
I would happily go to an 80 fter

Nothing against a 60' boat for an experienced couple, but he is talking about 112" for a couple with zero experience. Almost sounds like a joke.

Big Boat

I have no yachting experience & am just a wannabe C-19 browsing yachtworld & dreaming. The wife & I need to try a few charters before really considering getting a boat. But, I can't help myself from shopping. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've found this big gorgeous yacht, a 1983 112' Benetti, that seems like a great price for such a large boat. Since I don't have any experience I realize that there's a catch of some sort. Maybe there's hidden issues with the boat, but I figure the most likely issue is the cost to operate, dock, and maintain such a large vessel.

So, if you've got time to explain why a boat like this is only $600K, and what you'd estimate the costs to own & operate it are I'd appreciate the education. ;)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/benetti-custom-lloyds-m-y--3040602/

This has to be a joke post just to rattle some cages. "No yachting experience but looking at a 112' yacht"? For $600k? At least I hope this is a joke. If not,
For the love of God, don't buy that boat. Unless of course, you have about 100 million in assets and this is a hobby project.

This has to be a joke post just to rattle some cages. "No yachting experience but looking at a 112' yacht"? For $600k? At least I hope this is a joke. If not,
For the love of God, don't buy that boat. Unless of course, you have about 100 million in assets and this is a hobby project.

What's the joke? I only said that I don't know much about boats & was curious why such a nice looking large yacht seemed to be priced so reasonably.

I never said that I intended to buy it, or even go look at it. I was asking about what you experienced guys thought the expenses might be. What's wrong with a newbie asking questions?

What's the joke? I only said that I don't know much about boats & was curious why such a nice looking large yacht seemed to be priced so reasonably.

I never said that I intended to buy it, or even go look at it. I was asking about what you experienced guys thought the expenses might be. What's wrong with a newbie asking questions?

I apologize if I misunderstood. I thought you were considering buying it. Besides the operational and maintenance costs that others described, it is also a very old boat. Unless it's a desirable classic, I would consider it getting near the end of it's life, at least in terms of being marketable for resale. There are lots of factors determining the value of a boat, it's not as simple as $/foot. Also, one thing you will learn quickly, most all boats look great in online pictures. Take a look in person and you might wonder if it's the same boat.

New to boating

I agree with spinner....get some basic courses under your belt. Get on the water. Maybe buy a 25-30 used boat. Learn the systems. Get some sea time then charter some. Move up to a bigger boat. Keep looking and learning. Best teacher is a the helm.

Big boat

Didn’t mean to insult you. If you took it that way, I apologize. Sometimes people post things just to get a response.

Your question is a valid one for a newbie asking for advice. So my advice is “Being an inexperienced person and even considering doing what you are talking about is a very bad idea”. The actual cost of buying a boat of this type and owning it would be astronomical. Not to mention the reality of doing what you are talking about doing as an inexperienced first large boat buyer would be a disaster.
Buy a smaller boat and try it out. Get some experience and see what you like, need and want. Believe me, the first boat you buy won’t fit your needs or wants.
I wish you good luck with your boating.

FWIW, any boat that cannot be operated and maintained by just me and the wife is too big.

I apologize if I misunderstood. I thought you were considering buying it. Besides the operational and maintenance costs that others described, it is also a very old boat. Unless it's a desirable classic, I would consider it getting near the end of it's life, at least in terms of being marketable for resale. There are lots of factors determining the value of a boat, it's not as simple as $/foot. Also, one thing you will learn quickly, most all boats look great in online pictures. Take a look in person and you might wonder if it's the same boat.

I doubt she is anywhere near the end of her life
Sister ship was next to me on the hard recently and looked near as good as the day she was launched
Certainly in far better condition than our current vessel which I reckon will out live me.

I have no yachting experience & am just a wannabe C-19 browsing yachtworld & dreaming. The wife & I need to try a few charters before really considering getting a boat. But, I can't help myself from shopping. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've found this big gorgeous yacht, a 1983 112' Benetti, that seems like a great price for such a large boat. Since I don't have any experience I realize that there's a catch of some sort. Maybe there's hidden issues with the boat, but I figure the most likely issue is the cost to operate, dock, and maintain such a large vessel.

So, if you've got time to explain why a boat like this is only $600K, and what you'd estimate the costs to own & operate it are I'd appreciate the education. ;)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/benetti-custom-lloyds-m-y--3040602/

TLDR; She’s that price because she’s looking at a $5MM refit. She’s an end of life Italian yacht that was of dubious construction the day she was launched.

I doubt she is anywhere near the end of her life
Sister ship was next to me on the hard recently and looked near as good as the day she was launched
Certainly in far better condition than our current vessel which I reckon will out live me.

I know the boat, she is an end of lifer looking at $5MM to make her right again. She’s aluminum over 35 years old, that’s constructive end of life for welded aluminum.

Last edited:
It says in the ad that she has had upgrades in 2015 and 2019.
8lxb Gardner's are a long lived engine
Aluminium doesn't simply rot away

What makes her and end of lifer in need of $5m spent?
Ostrich scrotum leather not brand new?
Paint not as shiney as you'd like?

TLDR; She’s that price because she’s looking at a $5MM refit. She’s an end of life Italian yacht that was of dubious construction the day she was launched.

Bollocks
She is an Australian built vessel done by Lloyd's ships Brisbane.
Very well built, I did my apprenticeship there building this and a few like her.

It says in the ad that she has had upgrades in 2015 and 2019.
8lxb Gardner's are a long lived engine
Aluminium doesn't simply rot away

What makes her and end of lifer in need of $5m spent?
Ostrich scrotum leather not brand new?
Paint not as shiney as you'd like?

Lmao! Good one

Bollocks
She is an Australian built vessel done by Lloyd's ships Brisbane.
Very well built, I did my apprenticeship there building this and a few like her.

LOL! Even WORSE! I used to work in Hemant! "She be right mate”.... Never seen a Bennetti built in Aus before though. But that’s really irrelevant to being a >35 year old welded aluminum boat. The weld crystallization is starting and the cracks will begin shortly. The only course of remediation is cut out the welds and reweld. That’s about a $5MM job on that boat by the time it’s back in service condition. That’s why it’s a $500,000 deal. Do you think it would be given away at this price for no reason?

About a decade ago I made the acquaintance of two families that were owner operating a 94 footer. They bought it shortly after the ‘08 crash for a song and planned to cruise it two Or three years and then sell her. For the first year they had a captain on board to help them learn the boat. Both families had previously owned smaller boats. Two couples and a total of six kids ranging in age from almost teens to mid twenties. As I recall, when they purchased the boat most of the yard items had been recently done like bottom paint and zincs so they were nearing a crossroads; either have it done again or sell. They were living a vagabond lifestyle in the Bahamas and loving it while it lasted. Their plan was to wait for the economy to rebound and then sell, hopefully at a profit. I never heard the end of the story but I’d like to think they traded up!

Didn’t mean to insult you. If you took it that way, I apologize. Sometimes people post things just to get a response.

Your question is a valid one for a newbie asking for advice. So my advice is “Being an inexperienced person and even considering doing what you are talking about is a very bad idea”. The actual cost of buying a boat of this type and owning it would be astronomical. Not to mention the reality of doing what you are talking about doing as an inexperienced first large boat buyer would be a disaster.
Buy a smaller boat and try it out. Get some experience and see what you like, need and want. Believe me, the first boat you buy won’t fit your needs or wants.
I wish you good luck with your boating.

Thanks, I wasn't insulted. I realized that a yacht that size is "too much boat" for most folks, but I was curious about the various reasons. It's obvious from browsing Yachtworld that boats that size depreciate a lot more than the more common sizes that most folks here own. There's obviously a reason for it, but the exact reasons weren't apparent to me (the newbie ;) ).

I figured some of you guys might be COVID bored too, and be happy to explain the reasons why we can't have, or don't want those pretty big boats.

I've been looking at smaller boats too. It's impressive how roomy some of the mid 30' boats are.

Thanks, I wasn't insulted. I realized that a yacht that size is "too much boat" for most folks, but I was curious about the various reasons. It's obvious from browsing Yachtworld that boats that size depreciate a lot more than the more common sizes that most folks here own. There's obviously a reason for it, but the exact reasons weren't apparent to me (the newbie ;) ).

I figured some of you guys might be COVID bored too, and be happy to explain the reasons why we can't have, or don't want those pretty big boats.

I've been looking at smaller boats too. It's impressive how roomy some of the mid 30' boats are.

You sound OK Glenn. Seems to me that a reasonably priced, classic 34' to 40' Tollycraft or similar build quality brand boat would work well for you.

Lots of posts available in the "Search" feature at TF page top to answer nearly any question you may have.

That said: Would be cool to afford to have a an older 100' + beater-boat to screw around with. However, spending millions for that purpose just taint in the program for this 1st quarter of these 2000's.

Happy "Boat Search" Daze! - Art :speed boat:

If you got deep pockets go for it. Just you and the wife handling it could be tough for docking, mooring, anchoring etc. The displacement must also be pretty deep in the water which also limits where you can go without hitting bottom. Twin engines or having a bow thruster is also pretty necessary for maneuvering that big a boat around in marinas and docks. If it was a sailboat I would say forget about it as unless everything is electric such as winches and so on, it would be a real bear to sail by two people. You would definitely not want to hit any rocks with the prop(s)$$$$$$ On a power boat that big. Now having had a 41 foot sailboat for quite a while I could go for a 51, but that's just a dream.

You could look at it this way:

It would be a stretch for me to purchase either one of the boats we are talking about but I suppose if it was really a passion for me AND the Admiral we could somehow put the financing together.

So I guess you could say I could afford to buy one or the other..However, on God's green earth there is NO WAY I could afford to own such a boat.

Huge difference between being able to buy it and being able to own it.

pete

If you got deep pockets go for it. Just you and the wife handling it could be tough for docking, mooring, anchoring etc. The displacement must also be pretty deep in the water which also limits where you can go without hitting bottom..

2nd picture, 2.2m
Draws less than our 60fter

LOL! Even WORSE! I used to work in Hemant! "She be right mate”...

Don't know what Hemmant has to do with a yard a Bulimba and just because you saw some dodgy work at one place does not mean all places are the same.

. Never seen a Bennetti built in Aus before though.

There were several built at Lloyd's, but then you claimed you knew the boat and it was an Italian build
But that’s really irrelevant to being a >35 year old welded aluminum boat. The weld crystallization is starting and the cracks will begin shortly.

Without actual evidence I will not believe it.
I inspected the ER on her sister ship recently and specifically checked the welding, having done miles of it on that vessel.
The welding their was as pristine as the day it was done.

The only course of remediation is cut out the welds and reweld. That’s about a $5MM job on that boat by the time it’s back in service condition
That's if there is even an issue

That’s why it’s a $500,000 deal. Do you think it would be given away at this price for no reason?

Plenty of boats sell cheap because people can't be bothered doing a bit of work or think everything must present as new.

Ours was a giveaway price, all she needed was a bit of strategic sanding and painting and repairing some soft spots in the ply decks.
Easy fix for some - end of the world for others.

Don't know what Hemmant has to do with a yard a Bulimba and just because you saw some dodgy work at one place does not mean all places are the same.

There were several built at Lloyd's, but then you claimed you knew the boat and it was an Italian build

Without actual evidence I will not believe it.
I inspected the ER on her sister ship recently and specifically checked the welding, having done miles of it on that vessel.
The welding their was as pristine as the day it was done.

That's if there is even an issue

Plenty of boats sell cheap because people can't be bothered doing a bit of work or think everything must present as new.

Ours was a giveaway price, all she needed was a bit of strategic sanding and painting and repairing some soft spots in the ply decks.
Easy fix for some - end of the world for others.

I know the boat from the Florida market where I went and looked at it for a prospective buyer over a year ago. I didn’t go into the history, I assumed it was an Italian Benetti. The investigation into it never got far enough to find out different, the boat is shot.

The welds are an issue if you want to get insurance that requires class certification. That the welds are a problem is a known unavoidable nature of the material. 35 years and the cracking starts.

I think it is overpriced junk .
Europe built metric.
like 50 hz electrical will boggle your mind and cost big bucks
Fins are too small props are small.
engine room a Son of a bitch .
no power to slow.
alum everything is a pain and cost a ton
**** tank is shot.
electronics have to be gutted $$$$$$$$$$

looks like it is a live aboard now
look at the dinning room table too many chairs
also some ripper painted over all the wood in the rooms
This has seen better days and for $600 K you can get a better parked house boat.
yes i have a big boat --Even if you have the money it is a challenge.

Sea Q can top 17 knots but runs nice at 10.5 Knot.
It can cruise at 14 but it is smoother and gives you time to miss the logs

older boats like the one you are looking at become "Beach Condos' and once that step has happened it is just a floating house boat that wow people visiting

Back
Top Bottom