Beaufort, Charleston, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach - things to see

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best restaurant in Charleston is Halls. Stay at the Megadock. Make a reservation and catch a ride somehow. The steaks are divine. Try the bone in filet. Our favorite stop when in town. You can eat inside on real plates and silverware. A treat today.
Enjoyed Charleston, but did not go to Halls...... next time through, hopefully. And, yes, a nice meal in a nice restaurant with real plates and silverware is quite a treat these days. :)

caltexflanc, now you are tempting me with Wilmington. I have wondered if it was worth a visit being a few miles off our route. I'll look into it a little before we get there, and watch our weather and timing and give it some consideration. If we go there, I would probably want a marina to make it easy to get the bikes down. We're not avid bikers that ride purely to ride, but we have found the bikes are such an easy way to cover several miles of a town and see a lot at a nice, slow, comfortable pace.

caltexflanc, now you are tempting me with Wilmington. I have wondered if it was worth a visit being a few miles off our route. I'll look into it a little before we get there, and watch our weather and timing and give it some consideration. If we go there, I would probably want a marina to make it easy to get the bikes down. We're not avid bikers that ride purely to ride, but we have found the bikes are such an easy way to cover several miles of a town and see a lot at a nice, slow, comfortable pace.

We went into downtown Wilmington once on a non-boat (car) trip, seemed like a pleasant place. There's a marina, looked decent, just at the north end of the walking district...

-Chris

Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach are almost 2 different places.

The maps are a bit deceiving. While they seem close, if you stay on the ICW, you will probably need to get a ride or rent a car to visit downtown.

The town is OK but I dont think it's all that special. Yes it has a nice riverwalk. If the USCG cutter is still there and you would like a tour or tour the battleship....then also destinations non the downtown area.. I guess the town dock is still there, and there is a nice, newer marina right downtown near the western end of the harborwalk. There is another marina a bit more remote, above a bridge, but I would not want to walk or bike from there because of the roads. Again a ride should be easy or a rental.

I hVe stopped in Wrightsville dozens of times for weeks and weeks. A nice place. Only have gone up the Cape Fear maybe 6 times. My sister lives there so it's a regular stop both by boat and when travelling by car from Jersey. So I know the overall area Ozk.

Another nice couple nighter is Carolina Beach which is right on the ICW so if you visit all 3, killing a week or 2 is easy to do.

I disagree on old Wilmington with some of the other commenters, it's a great place to explore by bike. A couple of times a year we take a long weekend (by car) there from New Bern. The Carolina Beach idea is a good one, there is a mooring field now and nice beach within walking distance plus plenty of stores and services. Ditto the Banks Channel anchorage.

Personally we'd rather do something like psneeld suggests and skip Bald Head if for some reason time was an urgent factor. Like he said, the area is a destination unto itself. The battleship is well worth grabbing a Lyft or cab to go see. You want to go to a nice island, save it for Ocracoke, which needs the business and has great beaches.

There are so many great places to see off the magenta line. If you will be only passing this way once, it is a shame to miss them. The ICW proper is actually very boring throughout it's path in North Carolina with only a few places really worth stopping along the way.

An update as we work through NC. Beaufort, NC is our next for sure stop. Beyond that, we are still planning.
We decided to save Wilmington for our return trip. I want to tour the USS North Carolina and thanks to COVID only the main deck and above are open. I would like the full tour.
We did stop in Carolina Beach after Bird Island. Nice mooring field as mentioned above. Then it started raining, and raining, and raining, and right now it's raining and tomorrow it is supposed to be raining. I think we'll wait out the rain here since it's pretty comfortable. We'll likely stop in Wrightsville Beach, or may save it for our return. Beaufort is a sure stop coming up. Beyond that, we are just now planning.
We are enjoying the Carolinas -- but I would like it to stop raining. How you northwest boaters do it I'll never know. A blue sky is nice... come on back blue sky!

Beaufort, NC is our next for sure stop...
Beaufort is a sure stop coming up. Beyond that, we are just now planning.

If you come north of Beaufort, Oriental and New Bern can be pleasant stops.

-Chris

-Chris
Just looking at both of those, Chris. Oriental is right on our way along the ICW. New Bern is a few miles out of the way (15-20 miles or so).

It looks like there are some good anchorages in Oriental and a dinghy dock available. Maybe even a free dock for the trawler if available. I get the feeling New Bern would be best seen by booking a stay at the New Bern Grand Marina.

Do you prefer one over the other if we make a choice?

I live in New Bern now and definitely would pick it over, as we call it Boring-ental. Very pretty historic area, old colonial capital etc etc. . Based on what you've said before, it's your kind of place. We greatly preferred the Galley Store marina back when we were cruising. Excellent docks, pump out in your slip if on the "bigger boat" northerly dock. Very nice small grocery on site. You are right in the historic district of stately homes and a great view of the river.

A must do before you come this way once, if ever, this weather lets up, is go over to Cape Lookout Bight, arguably the best anchorage on the east coast. Miles and miles of beautiful, undeveloped National Seashore beaches, a sheller's and beachcomber's dream. Warm, clear water.

A wonderful intermediate anchorage is South River with protection from any direction and a wide number of places to drop the hook and take in the woodland surroundings.

It would be an absolute crying shame not to detour off the a very dull stretch of ICW and visit very charming Ocracoke and Manteo on your way north. Nice anchorage at Ocracoke or use the national park docks. Manteo's available anchorage often fills up in the summer, but there is a no-services town dock, and excellent full service marinas both the municipal and Shallowbag Bay. Both places have rental bikes or even a golf cart sometimes.. You can also rent a car at Manteo and drive over to the Outer Banks proper, well worth going up to Kitty Hawk thence south over Oregon Inlet and beyond.

Just looking at both of those, Chris. Oriental is right on our way along the ICW. New Bern is a few miles out of the way (15-20 miles or so).

It looks like there are some good anchorages in Oriental and a dinghy dock available. Maybe even a free dock for the trawler if available. I get the feeling New Bern would be best seen by booking a stay at the New Bern Grand Marina.

Do you prefer one over the other if we make a choice?

For spending some time, New Bern. Lots more stuff to see/do there.

Happens we've stopped at Oriental a few times in each direction... but partly because it's been "in the way, anyway" on those trips. "Downtown Oriental" is pleasant, but it's not huge at all. River Dunes is further around the northward "corner" of the Neuse and very nice, but... it's essentially a marina with some very nice amenities.

But... if you go to New Bern... it'd be easy to also make a quick 2-day (or whatever) stop at Oriental on your way back down the river.

-Chris

...A must do before you come this way once, if ever, this weather lets up, is go over to Cape Lookout Bight, arguably the best anchorage on the east coast. Miles and miles of beautiful, undeveloped National Seashore beaches, a sheller's and beachcomber's dream. Warm, clear water.....
Thanks for that suggestion. Cape Lookout Bight was amazing! What a beautiful spot. One of our highlights of this journey. If you are in the area and have never been, do yourself a favor and go!

-Chris
Thanks, ranger42c. We did stop at Oriental and are now going to spend a few days in New Bern. We had a very nice, smooth, pretty run up the Neuse River to New Bern. A worthwhile side trip, IMO.

New Bern and back to Cape Lookout

I may be the only one still interested in this thread, but here is an update since it's been a couple of weeks.

We did end up in New Bern. In fact we stayed there for 6 nights. While it was not my first choice in marinas, we stayed at the New Bern Grand Marina for a couple of reasons. First, their weekly rate was very hard to pass up (as in about $35/night). Secondly, I came across a live aboard there that seemed like a good mechanic and he was willing to lend a hand if I needed it on some dinghy projects. I needed several days there so some parts for my dinghy service work could arrive. Other than that, 6 nights in New Bern was more than we would choose. The dingy outboard service went well... running like a Honda again.

It was a very pleasant cruise up the river and back down, and I'm glad we added New Bern as a side trip. Cape Lookout Bight was calling us again. We liked it so much we went back there from New Bern and spent 3 more nights. It is one of our favorite places so far and I highly recommend it for anyone cruising nearby. It will hard to pass up when we come south again!

On your way further north, you might look in at River Dunes in Oriental (since you've already been to the "downtown" area). We found that to be a very nice place, and it worked as a great weather hole for an extra day, too.

If you stop in Belhaven, we've been in three different marinas there... all decent for different features. The downtown one was most convenient to town, River Forest (with golf carts) is sort of a legend but the docks aren't great, and Dowry Creek has very nice docks -- but no restaurant and it's further away from town. They have a courtesy car, though.

-Chris

Last edited:
We always anchored at Belhaven ourselves, up stream closer to the old turning basin and bridge; nice little dinghy harbor. When helping friends bring their new to them Gulfstar 44
down, we stayed at River Forest, docks were just fine, facility had been spruced up, golf carts still available to take you to places you walk to from the dinghy harbor.

Ocracoke is a "must do" as far as we are concerned; great anchorage in the midst of the village, or the national park service docks, which we've never used in our many voyages there.

AZ2Loop: glad you enjoyed Cape Lookout! I'm sure it will be even more fun with a working dinghy. We've spent an entire week out there, you can go to a new beach almost every day. And don't forget South River on your way there.

I putted by your boat in my Whaler one day nobody home. I take it part of the deal was putting you on the outside of the face dock? They just finished replacing it. Fortunately we didn't have strong southwest winds that week; they are common this time of year.

We look forward to hearing about the rest of your journey thus far.

Thanks, guys. Yes, we did stop at Belhaven and found it to be one of the most boater-friendly towns we have experienced. We needed nothing when there, but anyone we met just seemed like they wanted to do things for boaters. Really a nice little town! That is a great anchorage, too. It seemed like almost anywhere inside the seawall would be fine, and such an easy dinghy ride in to the town docks, too. We chose to move on after one night, but would be happy to be in Belhaven again next time through. We did take on some fuel at River Forest, but did not go to any other marina while there.

George,
Sorry we missed you when you putted by. It would have been nice to meet you!

After New Bern, and the 2nd visit to Cape Lookout, we had a beautiful night at anchor in Campbell Creek. We were graciously invited to another TF member's home there for a visit along with another visiting boater/looper. How nice!

Belhaven was next as mentioned above. Then going farther north we anchored off the north end of the Alligator River, just south of Albemarle Sound. The River was getting a little choppy with some T-storms in the area so we ducked in and found a nice, calm, anchorage. Another great night.

Albemarle Plantation was next for a couple of nights. It was VERY hot and having the pool there and golf cart for running around was nice. We'll hit more of the Albemarle Loop when we come through again. The folks at Albemarle Plantation could not have been nicer and they seem genuinely interested in taking care of visitors. It was worth the miles to get there and stay a couple of nights. Very nice! The Albebarle Sound was nice to us as we went west to Albemarle Plantation, and then back east. It was as smooth as could be, and I know that is not always the case.

The Pasquotank River was also a nice cruise. We thought we'd stay in Elizabeth City, but we cruised on by and may stop there next time. If weather cooperates, we'll finish the Dismal Swamp tomorrow and that will wrap up North Carolina for this trip. Thanks again for the suggestions. We have enjoyed both SC and NC!

An update to this thread. We spent a good part of July and August in the Chesapeake Bay (separate thread). Now we are headed south at a slow pace and are back in North Carolina. I think we'll stop in Wrightsville Beach for a couple of days since we missed it last time.

I am still giving some thought to heading up the Cape Fear River to Wilmington. We considered it last time through the area, but decided to wait. If we need a place to hide from a storm while in this part of NC, I wonder of the Cape Fear River would be good.

One thing to consider is mask compliance. When we came north this summer we observed that NC was not very good at masking and distancing. Hopefully they have gotten with the program......

One thing to consider is mask compliance. When we came north this summer we observed that NC was not very good at masking and distancing. Hopefully they have gotten with the program......

Not anywhere near enough. I can't speak for the Wilmington area specifically though.

Wilmington is a nice destination either by boat or car; Wrightsville is basically an abutting suburb, so you can also just dock there and go into town via various forms of transportation. The cruise up the Cape Fear River is nothing special. The battleship North Carolina is outstanding; I understand they are limiting access to just the upper section, but that would still be worth a visit.

You can skip the boring ICW section between Beaufort NC and Wilmington by going out Beaufort Inlet and coming back in Masonboro inlet. Either way check the LNMs for info on live fire exercises out of Camp Lejeune.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom