Autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish53

Guru
Vessel Name
Ana
Anyone using a Sitex SP-70 autopilot? I'd be glad to hear other experiences with autopilots as well.

I have an SP-70. It works fine.
What specifically do you want to know?

I have an SP-70. It works fine.
What specifically do you want to know?

I guess that's about it unless you installed it yourself and have input on the ease of the installation or have a view on reliability and performance or any other observations you'd care to share.

I guess that's about it unless you installed it yourself and have input on the ease of the installation or have a view on reliability and performance or any other observations you'd care to share.

Yes I did install it myself. The boat already had an outdated inoperable autopilot, so at least the hydraulic T was already in place. And I was able to use the old rudder indicator cable to pull the new on thru with.
Then it was just a matter of running a cable to the bridge, power, compass, etc.
I also mounted an extra socket below so I can move the head unit if I want to run from there. But I haven't done that since it was installed other than to test it.
The autopilot performs well enough. I use it a lot, almost every time I run the boat. It's wired to my Garmin chartplotter, and will take the boat accurately to any waypoint. Sometimes however it's better to use a simple heading and adjust as you go because if there is a bad cross current or waves I'll get a little snake wake. I probably could adjust that out by changing settings but I haven't bothered.

I was wondering if everyone was happy with the SI-tek sp70? I was planning on ordering one. Are there two different pump sizes available? I read that somewhere but do not see that on the website.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom