ASD 2021 Preparations for SE Alaska Cruiese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turning out nice and shiny, great job.

I've heard the more Scotch involved - the nicer the job done!
I think so, although later in the process you tend to miss spots.

STBD side done! Good thing a glass can still reach my mouth! Shoulders and knees are getting old. 20210330_153711.jpeg

Fantastic! :thumb:

Oh and you can always enjoy your scotch through a straw... :angel:

Back in the water tomorrow. The gel-coat guy did a great job. You really have to look to find the repair.

Next thing is loading up ASD for the trip north. Still have to test the water maker, change filters and oil. Started putting my Canadian border package together.20210403_092730.jpeg20210403_155153.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in the water tomorrow. The gel-coat guy did a great job. You really have to look to find the repair.

Next thing is loading up ASD for the trip north. Still have to test the water maker, change filters and oil. Started putting my Canadian boarder package together.View attachment 116237View attachment 116238

RTF
We need you now, with a mime of the "Canadian Boarder"
Or Tom, did you mean something else?

Greetings,
Mr. k. These guys still live at home so I expect they may be considered boarders, eh...

iu

Dropped back in the water this morning. 34f this morning. Had beam seas crossing in front of the Columbia River bar.

Nice sunny day for the 52 mile run back to ASD'S winter dock.20210405_112954.jpeg20210405_113014.jpeg

Alaskan Sea-Duction said:
Started putting my Canadian boarder package together.

US fish boats are on the move through BC. Interesting to note, the last three I’ve seen, have followed exactly the same US course, moving over the border to the Victoria anchorage/pilot station and back over the line. Makes me wonder if there has been a change to the “continuous passage without reporting” variance.

If so, I wonder what else might be different this year.

Attachments

• US Passage.JPG
    US Passage.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 25
There was US pleasure boat passing north yesterday.
Marine Traffic reported it as having left from VanIsle (marina Sydney abbreviation?)

Ted

There was US pleasure boat passing north yesterday.
Marine Traffic reported it as having left from VanIsle (marina Sydney abbreviation?)

Ted
Question: Sidney is a CBSA station. I've been to the main marina several years back. It was a small dock with a phone. Is this the place or is there another station just north?

US fish boats are on the move through BC. Interesting to note, the last three I’ve seen, have followed exactly the same US course, moving over the border to the Victoria anchorage/pilot station and back over the line. Makes me wonder if there has been a change to the “continuous passage without reporting” variance.

If so, I wonder what else might be different this year.
Interesting. In reading the CBSA website, it states if you are going to "pass through" and not stop then reporting in to CBSA is not mandatory.

Back in 19, we were crossing Dixon Entrance. A group of F/V were heading south. The leader called traffic with their intentions. Traffic came back with a number and away they went.

Question: Sidney is a CBSA station. I've been to the main marina several years back. It was a small dock with a phone. Is this the place or is there another station just north?

I do not think this was the station but I do not know if they have different
arrangements due to the pandemic.

Van Isle Marina is north of Sidney

Ted

I do not think this was the station but I do not know if they have different
arrangements due to the pandemic.

Van Isle Marina is north of Sidney

Ted
Just found it. COVID 10 Open ports of entry, #2

Van Isle Marina and Tsehum Harbour.

Tom,
I am not an expert on the current Canadian entry or transiting requirements, but I would guess that "not having to report" could mean you cannot stop at all, such as for fuel, supplies, or repairs, and maybe not even anchoring (as I seem to remember that anchoring or coming into contact with any other boat (such as rafting) required clearing Customs). Also I would guess that if you had not "reported at all", you could be subject to a closer scrutiny should any CBSA agents or RCMP spot your boat.

Maybe contacting them directly before leaving to ensure you know EXACTLY what they want you to do would make your passage go as smoothly as possible??
Good luck, and enjoy.

As you note, there are several places where you can check in. The most obvious and likely easiest to get into would be the Port of Sidney Customs dock. Van Isle Marina would be #2, Oak Bay #3, Nanaimo Boat basin #4.

Since Covid, many stations normally open have closed, so phone ahead once you decide which one is best for your proposed route, and be prepared to alter your plans to suit.

ASD's preps are just about complete. Freezers loaded, fishing gear stowed, dink cleaned and serviced. All that is left is to change the engine oils, filters and fuel filters. I still have to un-pickle the water maker and test it.

As posted in another thread folks are making their way across B.C. to Alaska. I wish everyone good luck.

I am starting to get excited.

Attachments

• IMG_9223.jpg
    IMG_9223.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9224.jpg
    IMG_9224.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9225.jpg
    IMG_9225.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9226.jpg
    IMG_9226.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9228.jpg
    IMG_9228.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9227.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 15
"I am starting to get excited.'

:flowers:Guess I had better stock up on Alaska Brew for the grand arrival!! Come again on brew blend you perfer:angel:.

Going to be fun following along with your cruise up north. Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along.

"I am starting to get excited.'

:flowers:Guess I had better stock up on Alaska Brew for the grand arrival!! Come again on brew blend you perfer:angel:.
Amber my friend

Well the preparations are completed. Received my oil analyses for the engines and transmissions. Everything looked great although they only had a 100 hours on them.

So currently we are on a weather hold for the next week or so as there are a few storms backed up in the Pacific.

I will create another thread for the adventures north.

Well I guess not as ready as I thought. The Admiral had an ATM card set to expire, so she ordered a new one.

Be here next week.....oh well. The weather is changing and could have left tomorrow. Gotta love her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom