Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We've purchased new boats in excellent shape when delivered. We always get a survey on a new boat though.

I recall that from a thread a couple years ago. I think that is a great idea. The more expensive and/or complex the boat, likely the more important it becomes.

I know it would be tough for me to do. My personality is such that I would be hard pressed to wait for a pre-delivery survey. Iím impatient. I also would have a difficult time telling a builder that Iíve been happily working with for 6-12 months that I was going to have an independent surveyor check their work. However, I think doing so would be a very wise decision as small problems can take a while to be resolved and I donít have the experience or expertise to catch as many deficiencies as a professional surveyor.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I recall that from a thread a couple years ago. I think that is a great idea. The more expensive and/or complex the boat, likely the more important it becomes.

I know it would be tough for me to do. My personality is such that I would be hard pressed to wait for a pre-delivery survey. Iím impatient. I also would have a difficult time telling a builder that Iíve been happily working with for 6-12 months that I was going to have an independent surveyor check their work. However, I think doing so would be a very wise decision as small problems can take a while to be resolved and I donít have the experience or expertise to catch as many deficiencies as a professional surveyor.
For non-production boats being built, we actually had the surveyor involved from the beginning and checking on things once a week. The builder had no problem with it and actually complimented him. Boat was subject to Class approval and he was a survey for Class.

On production or semi-production, we had only minor things found and they were all corrected immediately. Builders like to say, "It's minor. Just bring it back anytime." Our comment was "It's minor. Just fix it now and then you'll get the final payment and we'll take delivery." Amazing how quickly they move then.

Now, if you've chosen the wrong builder, none of this helps. You're still out the majority of the money, they refuse. So you either accept as is and fix at your own expense or you have to litigate to recover the money you've spent. There is no contract, no survey, no sea trial, nothing that will protect you against the wrong builder.

Azimut was the topic here. Well, those I've spoken to in Europe speak highly of their quality and service. However, in the US it's not the same. Yes, they have satisfied customers, but many not happy and the deal is that Azimut's entire US warranty program is all through Marine Max and they make the decisions so if there is a dispute over service, there's nowhere to go. It's under a contract and the incentive is for Marine Max not to spend money. Typically you have customer, dealer or yard, and manufacturer. Look at how many Beneteau Swift Trawler customers have had issues addressed and accommodated by the builder. Imagine if the dealer, some of whom haven't been very good, was making the final decision.

We see builders here who get praised by new boat buyers all the time. Good builders still may make mistakes but they then stand behind them.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #23

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
Not Mine and no affiliation. Saw a 40 Heritage Nova on YW in Knoxville, TN. Pics shows lives undercover in freshwater. $44K.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...s#.W2IJnXtKhsY

I saw that one, but figured the only way to get it out of Knoxville would be by truck. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidclark View Post
I saw that one, but figured the only way to get it out of Knoxville would be by truck. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
No, just run it down the TN River and out to anywhere in the world.

Now you might prefer truck, but water is a reasonable option.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Plus it would be a great delivery trip.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:07 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bought my boat new. Nor surprised to spend several thousand dollars to get it "right." Interesting that the boat's builder asked my local boatyard what improvements I had made.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"We always get a survey on a new boat though."

Always an excellent idea.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #28

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: M/V Slow Dance
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
I am happy that you identified the correct maker of the boat. How did it get to be called a Heritage? I am sure that you can figure it out. Our previous boat was a Heritage East, good quality boats with an excellent reputation, and priced to match.

I suggest that you find a buyers broker to help you steer clear of the junk. The broker won't cost you anything. They get paid by splitting the commission with the sellers broker.
I second getting a "buyer's broker" involved. The first one that I contacted basically told me to "get back to him when I decided what I wanted." I dropped him like hot lead. I had a good idea the direction we needed to go, but since it was all new to my wife, I contacted a female broker that could better identify with my wife's questions and concerns. She was incredible! Her services costed us nothing, and she saved us literally thousands of dollars through negotiating a generous "Survey Allowance" based on the reports of the surveyor of the engine, transmission, and generator, and the surveyor that went over the boat from bow to stern. The previous owner and I have become friends, and he shared with me that his broker "hated me." Thank goodness the previous owner was a good and honorable man.

All that being said, even after an extremely thorough survey and sea trial, the shaft of the turbo broke on the second day of bringing the boat home. After almost two years of ownership and nearly 500 new hours on the main motor and generator, I can only say the "buyer's broker" was of GREAT service to us!

For the record, the previous owner hired the same engine surveyor we used to survey the engines of the "new to him" boat he bought!
CruisingTheICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #29
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
Not Mine and no affiliation. Saw a 40 Heritage Nova on YW in Knoxville, TN. Pics shows lives undercover in freshwater. $44K.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...s#.W2IJnXtKhsY
Nice boat, but it has had some significant alterations to both cabins re bed locations.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingTheICW View Post
I second getting a "buyer's broker" involved.
For the record, the previous owner hired the same engine surveyor we used to survey the engines of the "new to him" boat he bought!
+1 on having an aggressive buyer's broker on your side. Likewise paying to have a thorough engine survey done (in addition to a regular 'boat' survey). Helps a lot to have someone that knows particular models of engines and their weak points. And don't forget to have oil samples sent out for review.

What helped the most with ours was that our service coordinator already handled one exactly like it. He knew where to look for what's been done and what needing doing next. We went to the boat first and took a day's time to thoroughly look through it BEFORE committing to a sea trial and surveys. That came a few weeks later. Since we'd gone over that boat already we knew what to look for in the surveyor's results (and he'd found all of them and a few more).

As for the expense of this sort of thing, you're either paying it up front and going into it with eyes open (and wallet prepared) or flying blind and risking seriously expensive surprises.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #31
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
From what I have read, Marine Traders were built by many companies but imported under the Marine Trader name.
The site above is for US companies only. Heritage East is likely the Taiwanese builder, using Marine Trader moulds to turn out a near copy of the Marine Trader, then being imported into the US together with other near MTs.
There were many builders of near MTs in Taiwan in the 70s and 80s, each trying to get a reputation as a better builder. Some succeeded, others didn't. There is a good article in the TF archives, by Bob Lane, from 1998 Passagemaker Magazine, that sheds some light on the history of the Taiwan building industry.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Apalachicola
Vessel Name: Grand Apalach
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Arrgghh. You guys are great. Just getting into the search for a first time big boat (for us). Looking at Grand Banks 32 or a Mainship 350. GB s are scarce and overpriced what are your thoughts on the Mainships?
averybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by averybill View Post
Arrgghh. You guys are great. Just getting into the search for a first time big boat (for us). Looking at Grand Banks 32 or a Mainship 350. GB s are scarce and overpriced what are your thoughts on the Mainships?
If GB are scarce, then how do you conclude they're overpriced? Wouldn't it just be they're above the price range you want to pay? We have dozens of very happy Mainship owners on the forum.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #34

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: M/V Slow Dance
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Love our Mainship

Quote:
We enjoy our 2006 Mainship 34T. Fortunately, the previous owner made the upgrades ó and more ó- Iíd planned to make as needed to any boat we purchased. Itís not a Sabre or Grand Banks, but itís a comfortable, above average quality, and reasonably priced production boat. While my dream boat is a Sabre 43í aft cabin trawler, based on our satisfaction with our 34T, I would certainly take a clean, well-equipped 43í Mainship aft cabin if the right one came along. We actually chose a 34T over a 390. If you get a single screw, get one with a stern thruster, or include one in you budget!
CruisingTheICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #35
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Did the anchor work?

Seriously, as someone who dropped thousands on a survey of a 52 footer and then ate the cost and walked, I would not go forward.

First, boats are not like houses where it is location, location, location. You get to move them to where you want them. Another boat will come along.
A surveyor does not find everything. The fact that this boat was so neglected tells me there are potentially a ton of other things waiting for you.

I know it is tough to start all over again, but my recommendation is to do just that.
We are all pretty much saying the same thing.
Diesel boats are very complicated systems.
Once significant items of neglect, etc turn up, don't walk, run away.
Because you will continually find more items.

IF they gave you this boat for free, it would end up costing you more in time and money.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Quote:
If GB are scarce, then how do you conclude they're overpriced? Wouldn't it just be they're above the price range you want to pay? We have dozens of very happy Mainship owners on the forum.

No just saying the GB 32 is a beautiful boat. Just hard to find for a reasonable price compared to the Mainship. I love them both.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
No just saying the GB 32 is a beautiful boat. Just hard to find for a reasonable price compared to the Mainship. I love them both.
But a reasonable price, based on market, for the GB will be more than the Mainship. It cost more new as well.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingTheICW View Post
We enjoy our 2006 Mainship 34T. Fortunately, the previous owner made the upgrades ó and more ó- Iíd planned to make as needed to any boat we purchased. Itís not a Sabre or Grand Banks, but itís a comfortable, above average quality, and reasonably priced production boat. While my dream boat is a Sabre 43í aft cabin trawler, based on our satisfaction with our 34T, I would certainly take a clean, well-equipped 43í Mainship aft cabin if the right one came along. We actually chose a 34T over a 390. If you get a single screw, get one with a stern thruster, or include one in you budget!

Thanks. So many choices in the Mainship. Like the 350 single engine and the stairs.... lol older knees and meets the aging in place requirements. Sort of the the stairway to heaven...arrggghh
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:
But a reasonable price, based on market, for the GB will be more than the Mainship. It cost more new as well.

Understood. Love the GB style and lines....just wish there were more of them to level out the market price. Like the Mainship too. So many choices...
Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #40

City: Johns Island
Island Gypsy 44

Hi
I am currently getting ready to sell my 44 Island Gypsy, the boat is in good condition and has none of the issues that you outlined. I am in Charleston SC area if interested please contact.

tbroderi51 is offline   Reply With Quote