Anchoring in Key West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austinsailor

Veteran Member
Been 23 years since I was there by boat. Is anchoring there by Tank Island and Wisteria island still allowed and good anchoring?

It’ll probably be getting dark by the time I get there tonight and it would be better if I had some clue what I was doing!

So what was the outcome of your anchoring experience/dilemma?

Just got anchored. Right among probably 100 others. Worried for nothing.

And - we got a spot next to Sanford snd Sons! Who would have thought a sailboat would have so much pure s..t on it that you would have a floating mess for the overflow? And they are allowing it!

I’d post a picture but all I have is my iPhone and can’t reduce it enough. Can someone do that if I email it to them? It’s quite a sight!

Edit: Pic added

Attachments

• Sanford & Sons sailboat.jpg
    Sanford & Sons sailboat.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:
You are lucky the wind has been blowing up until this afternoon.. Has been at least a week with the wind in the low twenties and the high teens. Where exactly are you anchored and what is your boat?

We intentionally picked the timing to the weather. Got until about Friday evening before it pipes up again. Toying with going to Ft.Jefferson, but time is tight.

Chances are I’ll go back to Marathon and bring the truck and trailer back to load up here. Taking a 20 knot wind on the nose for 8 hours or so is no way to introduce a lady to voyaging - she may decide sitting home is preferable.

Yes that is a tough introduction for her. of course if she doesn't complain she is really a good sport and the keeper

Posted for Gene, "The other side"

We’ve all swung around, we’re now on the other side - it’s no prettier!

Thanks, Gene

Attachments

• Sanford & Sons sailboat2.jpg
    Sanford & Sons sailboat2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 83
It’s hard to believe that that was once someone’s pride and joy. So sad.

That is Very Very far from being the strangest thing one might see in or around Key Weird

:eek:

Can you imagine what the interior looks & smells like .... sorry for that :D

Possibly Austinsailor will tell us after Sanford invites him over for evening cocktails?

Don’t really want to. Been in countless vacant abandoned homes and in a lot of them the smell is horrible. Don’t want to go there anymore.

Another Keys Critter living the dream .

We intentionally picked the timing to the weather. Got until about Friday evening before it pipes up again. Toying with going to Ft.Jefferson, but time is tight.

Chances are I’ll go back to Marathon and bring the truck and trailer back to load up here. Taking a 20 knot wind on the nose for 8 hours or so is no way to introduce a lady to voyaging - she may decide sitting home is preferable.

Wise decision. Getting out to the Dry Tortugas is the easy part. Getting back in to Cayo Hueso is the actual rodeo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom