Almost here (shortest day of the year)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe. Probably. The Basques were hunting whales in the north Atlantic since like 600AD. They, like your Vikings, definitely "bumped into" North America way before Colombus.

But no doubt your settlement beat ours. In The Basque History of the World, Mark Kurlansky wrote "The Basques didn't go around planting flags. They just made money and weren't really interested in anything else." My people! :)

Yes, first milestone of the bleak season, the long haul from early Sept, like Los Cabos to Mag Bay... In about 6 weeks now the sunrise, when its sunny, will clear obstructions to shine into the boat, that's a notable day, and pretty soon after that it will clear the treeline all day, those the Cedros & San Martin Is., then its home stretch... Been thinking about Ecuador in a few years, wondering how I'd like the sun rising and setting at about the same time every day year round. To tell you the truth, I don't put a lot of that June daylight to good use.

Greetings,
Mr. b. Is it possible to trace back this conjunction back 2000+/- years and connect it with "The Star of Bethlehem" ? I think I read somewhere that this may have been the phenomenon that guided the Magi on the first Christmas.

NOT getting into the veracity of religion, just curious...Thanks.

That is what some people theorize but I haven't seen any scientific data to trace it back to that timeframe, but it is an interesting thought.

Greetings,
Mr. b. Is it possible to trace back this conjunction back 2000+/- years and connect it with "The Star of Bethlehem" ? I think I read somewhere that this may have been the phenomenon that guided the Magi on the first Christmas.

NOT getting into the veracity of religion, just curious...Thanks.

Have you read Arthur C. Clarke's story The Star?

2 days and counting!!!!

At winter dock today:

Sunrise:7:51

Sunset: 4:28

8hrs and 37 minutes

Greetings,
Mr. AP. Not yet. Thanks.

A quick read and highly relevant. Hugo Award winner, 1956.

The Star can be found in his excellent short story collection The Other Side of the Sky, which includes The Nine Billion Names of God.

Last edited:
Mr. ASD, Here's a hypothetical question for you.

We know the sun rises in the east and sets in the west so from that we can deduce that the earth rotates toward the east at the rate of about 15 degrees per hour (360 degrees divided by 24 hours).

Since we live about 200 miles east of you one can logically reason that our "day" starts before yours so that means we get to enjoy the winter solstice before you do.

Neiner, neiner, neiner! :socool:

Since we live about 200 miles east of you one can logically reason that our "day" starts before yours so that means we get to enjoy the winter solstice before you do.

Neiner, neiner, neiner! :socool:

Not so fast, shipmate, the solstice is a function of the (apparent) movement of the sun above a specific point on the surface of the earth, where, I would assume, neither of you resides. It will occur at different local times, but be simultaneous for both of you at 1002 UTC.

Last edited:
No such thing as sunrise...I call it Earthroll...could be Earthspin, but we aren't stationary in space so Earthroll seems better.

Idag i Malmö:
Upp: 08:34
Ner: 15:37
Dagsljus: 7t 3m
Depressing...especially since the presence of sun is only theoretical. It is not seen. Only grey, dark clouds.

Last edited:
Sunrise: 08:49
Sunset: 14:44
"Daylight": 5 hours, 55 minutes. Just a long transition from dawn directly to dusk, with no day in between.

Years ago, I used to work at the local paper: go to work in the dark...work in the darkroom...go home in the dark.

Not so fast, shipmate, the solstice is a function of the (apparent) movement of the sun above a specific point on the surface of the earth, where, I would assume, neither of you resides. It will occur at different local times, but be simultaneous for both of you at 1002 UTC.
LOL I think the "official" soltice is 0220 Sunday night for here, I think, not sure, maybe.

As a photographer, I love the low angle light where (if the sun is out) gravel casts a long shadow at noon.

Dusk/dawn all day :thumb:

The light is in my eyes!!

Its today, the longest day! Sunrise 04:49 and sunset 18:42. Blue sky.

Those of you talking of short, dark and gloomy days are doing it all wrong! :)

Last edited:
Today on the next to shortest day of the year, I spent a few hours in the slanted sunlight doing yard work and planting grass seed. In South Dakota. In late December. We must be falling into the sun.

When I lived in Fairbanks, tomorrow the sun would just rise a hair above the horizon and then sink back down.

Happy Winter Solstice !!!

My location:

Sunrise: 7:52
Sunset: 4:29
8hrs 37 minutes of sun today. Start gaining tomorrow!!

Its today, the longest day! Sunrise 04:49 and sunset 18:42. Blue sky.

Those of you talking of short, dark and gloomy days are doing it all wrong! :)

Maybe if all this craziness ends we can fix that problem next year!

Maybe if all this craziness ends we can fix that problem next year!

Your best chance will be halfway through next year, June 21. But even then, while you might have the longest day (and I the shortest) the chances are that I will still have more hours of actual sunshine than many of you! :D

Gaining day light! Lights on the dock don't turn on until 5:45!! Light wakes me up around 6:55. Yee haw

Back
Top Bottom