Old 05-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
That owner can track his boat as it moves up the interstate. If the boat is stolen, he will be able to track it and reclaim his boat.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I disagree that leaving them on doesn’t necessarily create a problem. Having active AIS signals from boats that are not currently in operation can clutter up the AIS display in busy harbors reducing its effectiveness at its intended purpose, to help with collision avoidance.
I suppose we are not always going to agree

It’s pretty easy on my system to tell the boats that are underway. They are the ones not connected to the dock. My harbor in the summer is also a very busy place. With the close quarters and all the boats I do not even look at my chart plotter with it’s AIS overlay. I just use my eyes. Things change too quickly in the confines of a working harbor for me to pay attention to my screens.

We use AIS when out of the habor. It gives us direction, bearing, and that all important future track line. It sees things my radar won’t pick up, and in general adds another data source to use. One of the best features is that it provides a vessle name, so that if I need to call another vessel (say one on a conflicting course) I can do that easily.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #23

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Archimedes
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
We leave our AIS on all the time. I set up a free account on marinetraffic and added it to "my fleet". I get an email when the boat leaves or arrives at a port. A cheap theft alert.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
6. When must AIS be in operation?
Per 33 CFR 164.46(d), vessels required to have AIS must operate it in U.S. navigable waters (as defined in 33 CFR 2.36) at all times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor) and at least 15 minutes prior to unmooring. Should continual operation of AIS compromise the safety or security of the vessel or where a security incident is imminent, the AIS may be switched off. This action and the reason for taking it must be reported to the nearest U.S. Captain of the Port or Vessel Traffic Center and recorded in the ship's logbook. The AIS should return to continuous operation as soon as the source of danger has been mitigated. Note, vessels equipped with AIS--either by mandatory carriage or voluntarily--must abide by the requirements set forth in 33 CFR 164.46 which state an AIS must be: properly installed, use an officially assigned MMSI, that its data be accessible from the primary operating position of the vessel, and, always be in effective operating condition; which entails the continuous operation of AIS and the accurate input (see USCG AIS Encoding Guide) and upkeep of all AIS data parameters. Although Coast Guard AIS authority (46 USC 70114) does not extend beyond U.S. navigable waters or to all voluntary users, mariners are reminded that Navigation Rule 7 requires that every vessel use all available means to determine risk of collision. AIS is one of the most effective means currently available, particularly when coupled with radar and sight, to not only determine the risk of, but, also mitigate collisions. Thus the Coast Guard exhorts all AIS users to maintain their AIS in effective operation, at all times.
Note that you do leave it on when anchored.

We leave ours on while docking and until all settled in. Then when we start to prepare to undock, we turn it on. So typically 30 minutes or so before we actually leave.

I don't think it hurts greatly if boats that are docked have their AIS on, but it does create more boats to observe, some of which don't really need to be observed. It's like saying "look at me" when you aren't doing anything meriting being looked at.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Our AIS is on 24/7.......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Military vessels in our area are not always visible on AIS, maybe while on maneuvers or patrol?
Seems it would be quite a security issue for a warship to be identifiable/locatable to ALL inquiring minds...
As for leaving it on at the dock, I find it to be extremely discourteous to a vessel under way, who may already be struggling with conditions, to clutter up the screen.
I don’t believe that it is the intention of the system to mark boats not under way unless anchored or adrift in a shipping channel, or some other potentially dangerous situation that would deem it as being prudent.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Another consideration for those that leave their AIS powered up while secured to shore...

AIS transmits in available "time slots". There is a pecking order for those slots. By securing your unit unless you are underway or anchored, you are allowing those navigating to use the time slots for the intended safety purposes.

Thanks to those who secure their units.

Best Wishes

When moored the transmit interval is 6 minutes, I think. It's simply not an issue. Class A is meant to be turned on all the time. That's why there are status indicators for underway vs moored and anchored. There is no on/off switch. If you want to shut it off, you need to kill the breaker.

If you find the icons for stationary boats to be distracting, then perhaps turn on some of the filtering for min speed, min distance, and min CPA. Also consider that the icons are different for stationary vs underway vessels, so it's not hard to tell which ones to watch.. And if your display doesn't have the filters, have a word with your display vendor. That's where the filtering should be done, and it should be done responsibly i.e. in a way that doesn't increase risk of collision, i.e. don't filter Class B because you somehow think it's ok to have a collision with them vs a Class A carrying vessel.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #28
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
FWIW, our installer piggy-backed ours on the MFD circuit in a way that leaves the AIS transmitter always on... unless I rummage around to trip the breaker on that circuit. Don't completely remember why they did that, IIRC something about anchoring... but the result is that ours is usually on, even when we're in the slip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Note that you do leave it on when anchored.

Yep, knew that. I found my notes; installer said it was easier (in our boat) to wire it so that it's always on when the MFD breaker is on in order to (help us) remember to meet the "at anchor" requirement. And that way, we could easily trip the breaker if we want while in the slip.

I just don't bother to break the circuit, given it can act as a kind of "Lo-Jack" system.

-Chris
Old 05-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #29
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
I guess I don't understand why people don't like them left on. Is it just that it clutters up your AIS display?

I've only used AIS in commercial applications, and since it's tied in with the chart plotter, I almost never look at the AIS itself. all the information I need is on the electronic chart, so clutter isn't an issue.

We leave ours on all the time.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #30
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I've been in marinas with many active AIS targets (like 40 or 50) and never found it to be a problem. I'm with twistedtree on this one - change the filtering on your receiver if it is distracting to you. If you are finding AIS to be valuable for collision avoidance in a marina, you should probably throttle back.....
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The other point worth noting, the government regulation is for transmitting, not receiving. On the units I have, you could select to turn off the receiving part if it bothers you that much in a congested area.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Beyond meeting the legal requirements, I've never found it to be an issue one way or the other. If I'm sitting at the marina, I'm sure not affected by whether it's on or off. If I'm cruising, I don't find myself impacted by whether those at the marina are on or off unless I'm looking for someone. It's not hard to tell the cluster of boats is at a marina.

We have also found it valuable when we encountered a boat having some problems. They said they were ok, so we went on ahead, but we kept an eye on them and kept ours on so they could tell where we were. A few hours later we were very pleased to see them at a marina and AIS enabled that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #33
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Military vessels in our area are not always visible on AIS, maybe while on maneuvers .
Think they would learn by now
Quote:
The Navy concluded that the Fitzgerald collision was avoidable. Specifically, she appears to have violated COLREGS in several ways:

- She was not operated at a safe speed appropriate to the number of other ships in the immediate vicinity.

- She failed to maneuver early as required with risk of collision present.

- She failed to notify other ships of danger and to take proper action in extremis.

- Watchstanders performing physical look out duties did so only on Fitzgerald's left (port) side, not on the right (starboard) side where the three ships were present with risk of collision.

In addition:

- Watch team members responsible for radar operations failed to properly tune and adjust radars to maintain an accurate picture of other ships in the area.

- Supervisors responsible for maintaining the navigation track and position of other ships
were unaware of existing traffic separation schemes and the expected flow of traffic, and did not utilize the Automated Identification System to gather information on nearby vessel traffic

https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...ais#gs.1BJOYWw
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #34
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
We leave our AIS on all the time. I set up a free account on marinetraffic and added it to "my fleet". I get an email when the boat leaves or arrives at a port. A cheap theft alert.

And when the machines take over the world or the gubmt wants to spoil your fun they'll know where to find you
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #35
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
My unit is on when my Garmin turns on, which means while running or at anchor. When tied to a dock the Garmin goes off and the AIS too. It’s easy, sorry if it bothers you. ��
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
When I installed my AIS xponder, I put it on a separate breaker in the panel and turned it off. However, after observing the 24/7 operation of several other stationary boats in and near my marina, plus we’ll over a hundred moored boats/ships in the ship canal, I just leave it on....it just doesn’t make any difference or solve a problem, and there is some comfort in periodically checking my boat when I’m away. My $0.02.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 AM   #37

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Auspicious
Vessel Model: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Scratching my head

I'm not clear why my own issue with leaving AIS on at the dock has not been raised. With an AIS alarm set at any useful distance boats with AIS running at the dock trigger the alarm and leave me pushing 'Acknowledge' over and over and over again. This makes AIS as a collision avoidance tool less capable.

This is a problem in waterways all over the world. Spa Creek in Annapolis. Hampton River in Hampton VA. Charleston River in Charleston SC. Port Everglades. Miami. Corpus Christi. Mobile Bay. Puget Sound. San Diego. Southhampton UK. Goteberg SWE. NY Harbor. Atlantic City NJ.

Wherever you are.

We just have to turn off the alarm which means we lose a tool. To use AIS we have to take our attention off the world around us and focus on the video game.

Leaving AIS on at the dock is rude.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:22 AM   #38
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I'm not clear why my own issue with leaving AIS on at the dock has not been raised. With an AIS alarm set at any useful distance boats with AIS running at the dock trigger the alarm and leave me pushing 'Acknowledge' over and over and over again. This makes AIS as a collision avoidance tool less capable.

This is a problem in waterways all over the world. Spa Creek in Annapolis. Hampton River in Hampton VA. Charleston River in Charleston SC. Port Everglades. Miami. Corpus Christi. Mobile Bay. Puget Sound. San Diego. Southhampton UK. Goteberg SWE. NY Harbor. Atlantic City NJ.

Wherever you are.

We just have to turn off the alarm which means we lose a tool. To use AIS we have to take our attention off the world around us and focus on the video game.

Leaving AIS on at the dock is rude.

I think the issue is that you are miss-using the alarm. It is means for use in open water. On most AIS and/or display devices you can filter out targets that are not moving, or moving less that 0.5 kts or something like that. If you want a proximity alarm in a harbor, you should use that filter as well. Or just turn off the alarm when you are not in open water. Even if everyone with Class B complied with your request to turn their AIS off when not moving, you will still have the same problem with Class A devices which are required to be left on.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #39
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think the issue is that you are miss-using the alarm. It is means for use in open water. On most AIS and/or display devices you can filter out targets that are not moving, or moving less that 0.5 kts or something like that. If you want a proximity alarm in a harbor, you should use that filter as well. Or just turn off the alarm when you are not in open water. Even if everyone with Class B complied with your request to turn their AIS off when not moving, you will still have the same problem with Class A devices which are required to be left on.
I sure would like them to leave the AIS on if they are anchored out at night.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #40
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Guys, on a side note. Can someone search for me on their app of choice, vessel name Slow Lane.

For some reason I can find my myself on the ShipFinder app but then on other AIS apps I dont come up. Or vice versa. My name won't come up in the search function but if I zoom into my harbor it will. Lol

I have a new Em Trak class b transceiver and a dedicated antenna.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote