Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
The GM engines early 53 series, are 2 stroke. They are known as bleeders, and blow by, producers, but run good. They create a sloppy engine room and bilge in my opinion, but run good.
I don't understand the multiple negative remarks about DD's here. My 6-71s were built in 1939-ish (as I recall) and were fantastic. Perhaps the '53 series aren't as tight, or your experience may with worn out engines or those not maintained properly?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #22
FF
Guru

Almost all the DD leaking came from using DD goop to re assemble an engine.

They stuck with their garbage for decades.

In my "dream ocean boat" it would have a pair of 3-71 mounted on a tandem LST style tranny.

Scavenging a part to keep one running is a job most anyone can do, with a few DD tools.

Thee trannies are OTS.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Bunnell
In regard to 671 versus 453 , they are two very different style engines. Two strokes by nature, have high level of blow by, due to being a 2 stroke engine, compared to a 4 stroke engine. It is not a engine ring problem so much as pressure buildup. Internal pressure , causes the seals to leak, no matter if rebuilt or not. The 671 and sister 871, have there own bleeding issues. That is how the term "bleeder" came about, Detroit engines. But like I mentioned earlier, they run and run, and the best part is they are WET SLEEVED, so you can tear down and rebuild in the boat , over and over, again, as long as you do not throw a rod out the side. I personally think they sound cool out the exhaust, especially the 1271's . They have an excellent reputation, but all engines have their issues, I would take take a Detroit any day, if I was not anal in the engine room, and bilge. If you are determined to still get a long range Hatteras, or a early GB, as a interim boat, my opinion is go with the Hatteras.The only reason, I responded to your post, was because we also wanted a interim boat till we could find a 44 Defever, and we picked an old 41 Hatteras, with 853's.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Defever - 68' steel custom
71 series detroits are dry sleeved, the 92 series are wet sleeved. Wet sleeved 92's are exposed to the water jacket and are very sensitive to cooling system over temps. Natural (non-turbo) motors will have less issues with leaks, esp if you keep the air box drain ports cleaned and empted into a container. Currently have 2 8v71's and 2 671's all naturals, in 2 boats that continue to run trouble free. The leaks are fixable if you use the latest sealants and pay attention to cleaning surfaces and sealing threads on fasteners that are open to the interior of the block. Our Defever has 671's and 3:1 gears, and 2 271 25kw gens, she has been to Japan, Vietnam, Hawaii and Alaska and they are all still running strong. I think about re-powering, but the detroits just keep running. They will out live me.
mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I stand corrected, the 71series are sleeved, not wet but dry, it must be my age showing. But in all honesty, no matter what we did to seal them, THEY LEAKED. I am glad someone else found something that worked, to seal them. By the way, the term, BLEEDERS, came from Detroits..
Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
I stand corrected, the 71series are sleeved, not wet but dry, it must be my age showing. But in all honesty, no matter what we did to seal them, THEY LEAKED. I am glad someone else found something that worked, to seal them. By the way, the term, BLEEDERS, came from Detroits..
Hotrod, this surprised me on DD leaks......a friend had 8v71n's identical to mine and about 10 years ago decided to do an in - frame major overhaul on them. The shop that did the work told him that modern DD gaskets and seals were now much better at keeping the oil where it belonged, in the engine. Anyway, they were right and those engines were much tighter after the OH, not leak free but hugely improved. So, it is possible to clean them up somewhat.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Ken E,
I have been retired for years now, just remember , the complaints. But ironically, they leaked like hell from the factory. But they do run, and , run. Also easy rebuild. We would put the new guys on them, for rebuilds.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #28
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I run 6-71's in the Viking that I've owned for 17 years. Just finished rebuilding the Port engine for the second time. One other time in 04 due to a dropped valve. This time because a "professional" plugged one of my crankcase breather vents. These engines have been rock solid with no issues. Zero engine leaks. (Until the"professional" touched it .)
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has dry Detroit's.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Nice to hear, people with success , in curing a problem, that drove us nuts. For years we thought maybe a blow by problem, even if they were tight, when rebuilt, since compared to today, were sloppy. Blow by a big deal back then, blow out rear main seals, common. But they ran and ran, just keep a case of oil in the truck.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Wouldn`t a Bayliner 4788 with Hinos avoid a lot of these issues? Newer/younger usually means more life left in the boat and longer away from major work.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Many folks say If Detroit Diesel made bricks,

They would be green , and leak oil.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 37
Owned a 1981 48 Hatteras Motoryacht with DD692's. Cruised her at 10kts and flow scans showed just over 9 gph, with gen at 1 gph, easy match, 1 gal/nm. Agree about a bit roll in rough water but well built. Added Air-Sep's to keep bilge clean. DD's had over 3k hours with no issues. Sold it but loved it.
Captain Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
From a distance...

Think I'd choose best layout for our purposes.

I might not favor 2-stroke DDs if that were the only remaining decision factor... but the only thing about the Hatts that might cause (me) pause is the 32VDC electrics. Whatever they are. I don't really know, just from reading I see that older Hatt's have mixed voltage systems. Far as I know, most actual owners haven't encountered any problem with that, so this is more about me not knowing/understanding details than it is about the boats themselves.

-Chris
My 48' Hatteras LRC is all 12 volt. And my 453's are quiet, don't leak, run great and get great fuel economy. I was looking at Nordhavn 46', Krogen 42 and 48's and chose my Hat. I'm very happy I did.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #34

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
My 48' Hatteras LRC is all 12 volt. And my 453's are quiet, don't leak, run great and get great fuel economy. I was looking at Nordhavn 46', Krogen 42 and 48's and chose my Hat. I'm very happy I did.
It's too bad there aren't more of these Hatt LRCs. I'm looking to downsize from my Hatt 58MY, and the coveted LRCs just don't come on the market much. The ones that are out on the market are tired, and after updating this boat from one end to the other, including a total gut of the galley, I'm just not game to start that all over again. My Hatt is a really, really nice boat, but I just don't need 4 staterooms/4 heads. It's a lot of boat for me to maintain on my own. That leaves me looking at newer, smaller Kadey Krogens at this point unless a Hatt LRC comes along that has already had the hull blasted and de-blistered, window frames pulled and re-bed with butyl, updated heads, modern galley appliances, wood floors, updated air conditioning, and fresh paint.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #35
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
It's too bad there aren't more of these Hatt LRCs. I'm looking to downsize from my Hatt 58MY, and the coveted LRCs just don't come on the market much. The ones that are out on the market are tired, and after updating this boat from one end to the other, including a total gut of the galley, I'm just not game to start that all over again. My Hatt is a really, really nice boat, but I just don't need 4 staterooms/4 heads. It's a lot of boat for me to maintain on my own. That leaves me looking at newer, smaller Kadey Krogens at this point unless a Hatt LRC comes along that has already had the hull blasted and de-blistered, window frames pulled and re-bed with butyl, updated heads, modern galley appliances, wood floors, updated air conditioning, and fresh paint.
There is a TF member who renovated a Hat 48' LRC. That might be a little larger than you are looking for but it is a downsize. He was toying with replacing the DD's with JD engines but backed off of the repower. It is in the classifieds and I haven't seen a post that it has sold.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ale-29398.html
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #36
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
It's too bad there aren't more of these Hatt LRCs. I'm looking to downsize from my Hatt 58MY, and the coveted LRCs just don't come on the market much. The ones that are out on the market are tired, and after updating this boat from one end to the other, including a total gut of the galley, I'm just not game to start that all over again. My Hatt is a really, really nice boat, but I just don't need 4 staterooms/4 heads. It's a lot of boat for me to maintain on my own.

Hire -- or go share-sies with -- a kid or a grandkid? Niece or nephew?

Or even hire a boat manager, cleaning crew, etc.?

Takes income, I know, but sounds like you've got a good ride well worth preserving...

-Chris