42' Hatteras LRC vs 42' Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many folks say If Detroit Diesel made bricks,

They would be green , and leak oil.

Owned a 1981 48 Hatteras Motoryacht with DD692's. Cruised her at 10kts and flow scans showed just over 9 gph, with gen at 1 gph, easy match, 1 gal/nm. Agree about a bit roll in rough water but well built. Added Air-Sep's to keep bilge clean. DD's had over 3k hours with no issues. Sold it but loved it.

From a distance...

Think I'd choose best layout for our purposes.

I might not favor 2-stroke DDs if that were the only remaining decision factor... but the only thing about the Hatts that might cause (me) pause is the 32VDC electrics. Whatever they are. I don't really know, just from reading I see that older Hatt's have mixed voltage systems. Far as I know, most actual owners haven't encountered any problem with that, so this is more about me not knowing/understanding details than it is about the boats themselves.

-Chris

My 48' Hatteras LRC is all 12 volt. And my 453's are quiet, don't leak, run great and get great fuel economy. I was looking at Nordhavn 46', Krogen 42 and 48's and chose my Hat. I'm very happy I did.

My 48' Hatteras LRC is all 12 volt. And my 453's are quiet, don't leak, run great and get great fuel economy. I was looking at Nordhavn 46', Krogen 42 and 48's and chose my Hat. I'm very happy I did.

It's too bad there aren't more of these Hatt LRCs. I'm looking to downsize from my Hatt 58MY, and the coveted LRCs just don't come on the market much. The ones that are out on the market are tired, and after updating this boat from one end to the other, including a total gut of the galley, I'm just not game to start that all over again. My Hatt is a really, really nice boat, but I just don't need 4 staterooms/4 heads. It's a lot of boat for me to maintain on my own. That leaves me looking at newer, smaller Kadey Krogens at this point unless a Hatt LRC comes along that has already had the hull blasted and de-blistered, window frames pulled and re-bed with butyl, updated heads, modern galley appliances, wood floors, updated air conditioning, and fresh paint.

It's too bad there aren't more of these Hatt LRCs. I'm looking to downsize from my Hatt 58MY, and the coveted LRCs just don't come on the market much. The ones that are out on the market are tired, and after updating this boat from one end to the other, including a total gut of the galley, I'm just not game to start that all over again. My Hatt is a really, really nice boat, but I just don't need 4 staterooms/4 heads. It's a lot of boat for me to maintain on my own. That leaves me looking at newer, smaller Kadey Krogens at this point unless a Hatt LRC comes along that has already had the hull blasted and de-blistered, window frames pulled and re-bed with butyl, updated heads, modern galley appliances, wood floors, updated air conditioning, and fresh paint.

There is a TF member who renovated a Hat 48' LRC. That might be a little larger than you are looking for but it is a downsize. He was toying with replacing the DD's with JD engines but backed off of the repower. It is in the classifieds and I haven't seen a post that it has sold.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/hatteras-lrc-48-1976-sale-29398.html

Last edited:
It's too bad there aren't more of these Hatt LRCs. I'm looking to downsize from my Hatt 58MY, and the coveted LRCs just don't come on the market much. The ones that are out on the market are tired, and after updating this boat from one end to the other, including a total gut of the galley, I'm just not game to start that all over again. My Hatt is a really, really nice boat, but I just don't need 4 staterooms/4 heads. It's a lot of boat for me to maintain on my own.

Hire -- or go share-sies with -- a kid or a grandkid? Niece or nephew?

Or even hire a boat manager, cleaning crew, etc.?

Takes income, I know, but sounds like you've got a good ride well worth preserving...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom