36’ Fu Hwa Pre Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okydowky

Vessel Name
Bygone
Vessel Make
40' TollyCraft Sundeck
I previously explained my situation on another thread! Thought I better get my own!
Currently looking to purchase 1988 36’ Fu Hwa aft cabin. I have had access to boat by myself for the past 2 days with no owner hanging over my shoulder so it’s been great! I have the keys for another day and I also can run all systems including engines!

We really want a Trawler or think we need a trawler for our planned journey’s! We currently have a beautiful 1984 36’ LOA Carver that we have grown out of.

Our findings so far:

Pro’s
- Beautiful walk around Aft Bed, large shower.
- Storage is amazing in and out.
- Nice size V-Berth, with head
- Twin Ford SP90. 2600hrs
- Diesel Heater
- Auto Pilot
- Never had teak decks.
- All Port Holes and windows show no water damage inside.
- Dual 12” Lowrance head units with 3G Radar. New
- There is more but these are the main eye catchers.

Con’s
- Very poor maintenance records.
- Engines running with no load at dock very noisy in the salon.
- Crawling on and off the boat it’s seems very rolly, I mention this because we are working on our boat currently and it’s very stable doing the same on off motion.
- Exterior is very weathered. All teak, canvas shredded, and all fibre glass needs a complete make over
- There has been some water damage to deck above V Berth, which kind of been repaired by drilling holes and epoxy injection. There is some wood panel damage by chain locker from this.
- Hull Blisters were also noted on 2015 Survey and just noted keep an eye on them on the annual haul out.

From all of you I know what to look for so I honed in on the fuel tanks first. They are your typical steel tanks, but have a thin layer of fibre glass coating. There is no signs of rust on the top or any visible signs on the ends. There is 1 nipple high on the tank that may be a return line shows a little discoloured rust streak behind the fibre glass not sure about this but does not have any smell of diesel or dampness to touch. Tanks also have 12” inspection ports, not sure if this is common.

Another thing which it’s taking me awhile to get used to is the small side doors to get access to upper helm and sun deck. Would like someone’s opinion on this style and access back and forth, for me inside access to the upper helm would be better for us but I think you would have to get in to the 40’ size.

Appreciate any ones feed back, or your own experience with any of the above! Or things to look for!
I wont have a chance to get it off the dock before we go home, so ones take on handling would be appreciated!

Wednesday morning I give back the keys and kinda need to make a decision if we will continue pursuing this vessel.

Troy

You will have to decide if this is the boat for you as to design or layout. No one else can decide that for you. What you describe sounds pretty normal in a boat of this age. We have basically inside access from salon to bridge with our sundeck being covered. I would look at the condition of the wiring. Make sure that it will plug into a GFI protected outlet. More and more docks are moving to GFI protection on the docks and if the boat will not work with GFIs then you will have to repair it. It can easily cost several thousand dollars if you hire a marine electrician. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

If the engines are noisy in the salon while sitting at the dock, they will only get louder while underway. You didn't state if that was at idle, or throttled up a bit. If the insulation is in good condition, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it may be due to close confines, and noise that is "bouncing" back from boats around you. Just a thought. BUT if it is noisy at idle, and the insulation is good, and there is no way to put in more/better insulation, that alone might make me give it a pass.
Also, if you outgrew the 36 Carver, not sure that another 36, even beamier w/ more storage will suit you.
Guess for me a lot of it boils down to price and how the boat "feels" to you. If the price it right, and you are comfortable with doing the repairs you see, make an offer contingent on survey/mechanical inspection. Get an expert in THOSE engines to give you his take on the sound level, also get a GOOD inspector to survey the boat. Please keep us updated!

What's the asking price?

Engine hours

I did idle them up to 1400rpm, and yes it’s under cover with a wall and another boat very close.
We like the size of the 36’ boat, and the layout on this vessel is great for longer trips with a much better cruising distance. We are not afraid of going bigger, just trying to stay with the smallest boat with the best layout and enough options.
Our Carver’s hull is a 32’, doesn’t have a lot of storage belief it or not, we pack very frugally and with another couple on for a weekend we are bursting at the seems.
The hrs on engines are 2600. I have spoke of the Ford Twins on multiple threads on TT, and ER being cramped was everyone’s concern. I could not believe I could stand up to pull starter or alternator, heat exchangers.
Asking $73kCAN, ??? What do you think?

I did idle them up to 1400rpm, and yes it’s under cover with a wall and another boat very close.
We like the size of the 36’ boat, and the layout on this vessel is great for longer trips with a much better cruising distance. We are not afraid of going bigger, just trying to stay with the smallest boat with the best layout and enough options.
Our Carver’s hull is a 32’, doesn’t have a lot of storage belief it or not, we pack very frugally and with another couple on for a weekend we are bursting at the seems.
The hrs on engines are 2600. I have spoke of the Ford Twins on multiple threads on TT, and ER being cramped was everyone’s concern. I could not believe I could stand up to pull starter or alternator, heat exchangers.
Asking $73kCAN, ??? What do you think?

That price seems high to me. Attached is a soldboats report on 38' Fu Hwa's (in Canadian dollars)

Attachments

• Fu Hwa.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 70
Price is too high. Replacing the canvas and cosmetic work will easily run another $5,000.

Not worth the price. There are better values out there, maybe not as close to home but they are out there. Keep looking.

pete

Well spent more time on it today! Think we will be passing on this one unless he comes down significantly.
Ran engines for a half hr today up to temps, and every rpm configuration. Loud as hell in side boat, if something could rattle it did. Could barely talk with my wife.
Engines obviously smoked when fired up and never did clear up at all even when warm.
One port engine had 30 psi oil and the star had 60 psi.
With very poor service/ maintenance records, not feeling good about engines.
From 2003 to 2008 there was only 1 record of oil change 2005
From 2008 to 2015 records are missing.
2015 The boat was surveyed and sold to present owner. It was actually noted by surveyor to change all oils and filters.
2018 Generator oil was done.

So in a nut shell this explains the fluffy towels on the bed and fresh ground coffee left for us. Lol

Troy

Price is too high. Replacing the canvas and cosmetic work will easily run another $5,000.

Not worth the price. There are better values out there, maybe not as close to home but they are out there. Keep looking.

pete

I think to replace all the canvas you are probably in 8-10k

Couldn’t imagine the hrs to get the teak back to square one. It’s all rewarding when it’s done, it’s just get there.

Im not sure where this boat would be for cost? Very disappointed on this boat, really was being open to the trawler life...

Troy

Based on the number of things you said were wrong, I would walk away.
Based upon the above URL, it appears pretty nice design. They put LOTS inside. I suspect if you have your heart set on the 38' Fu Hwa, I'm pretty sure, if you are patient, you can find one that is in better shape.

I obviously haven't seen the boat, but from what you are describing, I think you are making a wise decision to pass on this one.

Appreciate the comments and the support which led to our decision to walk away. I have done so much research, and bothered all of you for advice and nothing came of it.

So deflated and lost 3 months of my life! lol wine time! But i guess its saved me money and more stress!

Troy

Appreciate the comments and the support which led to our decision to walk away. I have done so much research, and bothered all of you for advice and nothing came of it.

So deflated and lost 3 months of my life! lol wine time! But i guess its saved me money and more stress!

Troy
You have to kiss some toads before you find a Princess. And you`ve learnt a lot. You could have gone to survey but wisely called "no", at the right time. Remember,"All that Glisters is not Gold".

You have to kiss some toads before you find a Princess. And you`ve learnt a lot. You could have gone to survey but wisely called "no", at the right time. Remember,"All that Glisters is not Gold".

Hey Bruce,

I thought boat hunting was suppost to be fun and relaxing, you know like the YouTube characters and TV shows.....

What are some details on your boat Bruce? I do like your style!!

I think my wife and myself including our aging parents who seem to be are main guests lol! We are still a transom, and patio door family still for a few more years. Also for our dog that needs to get to shore...

Troy

Hey Bruce,

I thought boat hunting was supposed to be fun and relaxing, you know like the YouTube characters and TV shows.....
What are some details on your boat Bruce? I do like your style!!
....Troy
Imo,boat searching is hard work. We`ve had 3 interstate boats under consideration, 2 had surveys, lot of $ spent, last one currently at renegotiation subject to one survey query. Finding interstate surveyors is hard too.

My boat is a 1981 Island Gypsy 36 Europa, unusually with a single sleeping cabin, twin 120 Lehmans, Onan 6.5. Check the Halvorsen/IG builders section for more details of the brand.
I`ve been to Kelowna, driving through, not taking the train. Good Mexican restaurant.

She keeps calling me back!,

Well again thanks to all earlier in the year for advice!

After months of driving past this Trawler that hasn’t moved in our marina for 2 yrs I decided to reach out to the owner and spark my interest back into the old girl. Well keys in hand again we spent some time on her and we think she will work for us!

We have settled on a price and have set a subject to survey date in a couple weeks.

As I previously mentioned the engines were loud and rattled everything in the salon. I found the Port engine which was the worst, the mounts had spit out most of the rubber From 3 of 4 mounts. The Star engine mounts looked the same but engine was quieter. This really was the game changer for me because the noise was actually unreal and now to find why.

So with a good survey and sea trial I will be the new owner of a 36’ Trawler in a few weeks.
And on the flip side a sad day having to put my Carver up for sale.

Congrats on your decision. Hope it works out for you.

Congrats on your potential new boat . . . . However, I would be hesitant to take it our on a sea trial without changing out the engine mounts and making sure the engines/shafts are aligned. Just a thought . . .

We love our '84 FuHwa 38 Europa sedan. We've had Revel since 2016.

Of all the issues you've mentioned, the 'glassed fuel tanks read the loudest. Ours were the same. One rusted through from the inside. $12k later...

Congrats on your potential new boat . . . . However, I would be hesitant to take it our on a sea trial without changing out the engine mounts and making sure the engines/shafts are aligned. Just a thought . . .

I would think the current owner would need to change the engine mounts etc prior to sea trials.

Yes it took us 8 months to decide and we are quite happy. Thank fully i have had the opportunity to have the keys to the boat for quite sometime to really look it over.
The owner was quite negotiable with issues we found and came down in price.
We have had the oils tested and they came back All good. Exterior of tanks look good, but can’t say what the insides look like. Never had teak decks so from what I heard that’s a plus.
As far as the Sea Trial I’m not to worried about the mounts, I know it vibrates and will only get better. I have ran every other system multiple times and they are good.
The day we trial and haul it out and everything is good, the boat will be staying on the hard for a couple weeks.
We budgeted for drip less shaft seals, rudder boxes being re done and bottom being blasted with a re coat.
Exterior brights and gel coat need a few sets of elbows, but that can be done in our shed throughout the fall.

Back
Top Bottom