34 Californian Pyro temps for T6 354 Perkins 185HP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klaidlaw

Vessel Name
Hair of the Dog
Vessel Make
34 Californian LRC
Any fellow Californian owners that run the T6 354 185HP Perkins with Pyrometers can tell me the safety range on temperature for the diesels? Running at 1800 rpms gets me 11knots and 900 degrees. the sensors are mounted after the turbos. I see posts where people are running WOT and alot higher RPM's than what I do. I was told to keep them under 1000 degrees.
Kevin.

Following to gain knowledge about Pyrometers installed in Perkins T6.354, ie mfg, model #'s, experiences etc

More info on pyros....

I will see what I can find on them., They are older and came with the boat. I have alot of brochures from 2nd owner and will see what I can find. I saw alot of posts about Perkins mechanics in the southern CA area which is where I am. will make some phone calls

Actually your cylinder or exhaust temps are the most accurate and reliable methods of knowing how your diesel is running. The more load the higher the temp readings but there is usually a range of two to three hundred degrees. Caterpillar used to always have pyro gauges and optimal ranges were recommended between apprx 1100° to 1300°. the older in line Cummins, Volvo and other engines had similar specs. This gives the operator some rpm, performance and fuel consumption options. Higher excessive temps can be hard on the turbos if so fitted. It’s odd that you don’t see pyro gauges much anymore cause the information is still the same.

BTW on commercial engines these days hour meters are not that relevant. An engines life is rated in fuel consumed as the more reliable indicator on an engine’s use and life

Rick

I have pyros on my T6’s and will look to see what they are at next time I run and get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom