2020 San Juans Clog-in ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Was just catching up on this thread:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/insde-passage-travel-route-49694.html

Discussing the Canadian border being closed to US boats. Got me thinking, whoa, how many recreational boats go North each season? What if none of those boats can go, and basically are stuck with the San Juans? (I'm ignoring the rest of the Sound/South Sound for sake of argument.)

I find that the further North you go the fewer boats there are. I.e. less in the Gulf Islands than San Juans. Less in Desolation than Gulf Islands. And so on.

Have heard it said (and is true for me) after you have experienced B.C., the crowded San Juans don't hold a lot of appeal at least during the high season.

Going to be a mess up there if the virus situation isn't resolved?

I share your theory that the San Juan islands' anchorages will be plugged this summer. Puget Sound south of Port Townsend may be a better bet. Just guessing, though.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Okay, being healthy, able to cruise, and having a boat certainly isn’t “worst”.

As for the San Juans in summer - is “more crowded” much different than “crowded”? In summertime it’s been been packed for years.

That said and having dipped our toes in South Sound for a week a couple years ago, I’m starting to write up an extended Southbound summer float plan. We had a great time then and I can see having fun there now. The landscape is certainly different but the mountain is usually out and there is a lot to look into. A lot of coastline miles. And south Sound means we can share several days at a time with friends - which isn’t really practical up north (we’re pretty social).

However - with the US economy taking a hit I think it’s also reasonable to suspect that charters will be down and perhaps overall boating hours will decrease. Of course fuel costs should be dropping, but we could see less traffic with fewer families. Fewer folks flying cross-country to make that bucket list cruise. Maybe a good indicator will be if charter companies start working with the boat owners to drop high season rates to shoulder rates, etc.

Maybe the thing to do is wait until early May and then make some calls to charter companies for boats and marinas for reservations see what’s available and chat up the businesses. Or maybe by then the restrictions will be lifted.

As for me/us I’m working up an alternate to our lengthy summer northbound plan. We can choose whatever is available and make the other cruise when the time is right. I just hope I can get to Barkley in August to chase some salmon!

Here in South Sound, I flushed freshwater tanks today, then sat in the sun and browsed through the Dreamspeaker book on Puget Sound destinations. I expect many others are doing the same thing, looking for alternatives to our usual trips north. South Sound has many nice parks and marinas, but they are all small. Swantown Marina, in downtown Olympia, is the biggest, but it is small compared to northern venues. Percival Landing has good access to downtown restaurants and provisions. We have a few state marine parks and a few private marinas, but not much! It will be interesting to see where we will all tie up! See ya soon!

Here in South Sound, I flushed freshwater tanks today, then sat in the sun and browsed through the Dreamspeaker book on Puget Sound destinations. I expect many others are doing the same thing, looking for alternatives to our usual trips north. South Sound has many nice parks and marinas, but they are all small. Swantown Marina, in downtown Olympia, is the biggest, but it is small compared to northern venues. Percival Landing has good access to downtown restaurants and provisions. We have a few state marine parks and a few private marinas, but not much! It will be interesting to see where we will all tie up! See ya soon!

Thanks for the Olympia-area comments. Never been there, but might this summer.

There won’t be any Canadian boats in the San Juan’s, so maybe it will be a wash.

Here’s some more local knowledge of south sound boating options. Get a state park pass before you come.

Coming south, Blake Island State Park, just SW of Seattle, is very popular with nearby boaters. That means it is usually packed on weekends at the docks, but there are many buoys around the island. The docks are regularly patrolled by very aggressive raccoons. The pump out is easily accessed on a separate float. You might want to take advantage it because there are not that many pump outs in south sound.

For stops in cities north of the Narrows, consider Anabella’s Landing in Gig Harbor and Dock Street Marina in Tacoma. Dock Street is right downtown and easy walking distance to the Museum of Glass and the Lamay Car Museum.

The Tacoma Narrows is a gateway that must be considered if you are a slow trawler or sailboat. Transit near slack current.

Eagle Island SP is one of our favorite local hangouts. There are a few buoys and anchorage is best on the east side. East side gives you views of Mt Rainier. West side is calmer and has nice sunsets. Currents around the north and south shores can get rough so time you kayak and paddle boarding accordingly.

Joemma Beach SP has docks and buoys. It is a great place to connect with friends who RV or tent camp. No power or water at docks. No stores.

Jarrell Cove SP is very popular. It is a nice protected cove with a state park on one shore and a small marina on the other. SP has two docks and many buoys plus a pumpout. Power on docks. Rafting often required. Park has showers, campsites and RV spaces. Marina has a fuel dock, pumpout (for a fee) and small store. The entire cove is a no-wake zone and locals will give you a reminder if you forget.

Hope Island SP is a great place for families. Nice hike around island. Play in the old orchard. Lots of deer. No docks but several buoys. Close to Olympia and Boston Harbor.

Percival Landing in downtown Olympia is a great location - close to restaurants, parks, the Capitol and a good grocery store. Uber to West Marine on the west side of town. Percival Landing has a pumpout. There is a nice playground there for little kids. Walk to an excellent children’s museum. This is your best provisioning stop in south sound. Hotels nearby.

Swantown Marina has a nice guest dock, new fuel dock and pumpout. Ride your bike into town or dinghy to Percival Landing. This is a nice marina but lacks much character or view.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: GFC
Penrose Point State Park is also a good destination south of the narrows.

Oro Bay is good anchoring and recipricals.

Gig Harbor, Horsehead Bay and Wollochet are good anchorages.

Longbranch, Shelton and Allyn/Grapeview has docks and anchoring.

And all the long inlets around Olympia are good anchorages.

Canadian left for home 2 week self

It was sad to see our Canadian neighbors leave yesterday here in Blaine.

I imagine there will be some struggle to make the slip payment

Blaine is an under rated destination.

Last edited:
We were going to do the south sound for our daughter's spring break, but at this point figure we'll head up into the San Juans. Primarily because there are far fewer people. And now we'll be able to take more than just a week.

We did a summer in the south sound about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. Pros are everyone else seemed to be heading the opposite way, there are more reciprocal opportunities, and for us trawler types it felt like being on a huge lake. Cons are there are houses everywhere, and more PWC and ski boats. All in all, it's an interesting change of pace and scenery from the islands and points north.

Things are changing quickly. Wa State Parks are closed till April 30. If virus cases and deaths don't come down look for the park closure to be extended.

How long before transient moorage at marinas and reciprocals at yacht clubs are closed?

Everett has ordered residents to stay home. How long before other metro areas on Puget Sound follow suit?

I did a decent length trip in the south sound a few years ago, and grew up in Gig Harbor and know that area pretty well. There are plenty of places to visit, but I think the bigger question will be whether state parks will be open, and whether it will be smart to visit docks or marinas if things are even more locked down.

I had a multi-month trip planned to Princess Louisa Inlet, Desolation, Gulf Islands, and more but I am guessing that won't be an option this summer, and that's OK. Doing a few shorter trips in the US is fine with me. With everything else that is going on, I think an abbreviated cruising season will be the least of my worries.

Things are changing quickly. Wa State Parks are closed till April 30. If virus cases and deaths don't come down look for the park closure to be extended.

How long before transient moorage at marinas and reciprocals at yacht clubs are closed?

Everett has ordered residents to stay home. How long before other metro areas on Puget Sound follow suit?

I'm the Reciprocal Moorage manager for our club. Thus far we've received two emails from clubs who have closed their docks and one from a club who closed their office, restaurant and bar but left the docks open with a "Pay on the Honor System" sign posted.

I forwarded those to our commodore but didn't get a response. There's a board meeting coming up so we may close our docks to visitors.

San Juan county has closed transient moorage. I think most yacht club reciprocals in the San Juans are in marinas, I'm thinking they are closed also.

From the Port of Poulsbo yesterday.

Due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns, the Port of Poulsbo office is currently closed to the public.​

Our bathroom is closed to the public.​

We are currently not accepting cash transactions.​

You may pay your bill online at www.portofpoulsbo.com, or by check either through the mail or in the after-hours drop box.​

Our fuel dock is currently closed due to mechanical issues.​

Once our fuel dock is re-opened, it will be by appointment only 9am – 1pm, 7 days a week. You may make a fuel dock appointment either at www.portofpoulsbo.com, or by calling 360-779-9905 ext 2.​

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us by phone at 360-779-9905 ext 2, or by email at office@portofpoulsbo.com

We apologize for any inconvenience.

No clog in Garrison Bay, only boat here. Day 3, of boat quarantine, so far so good. Sucia Is was busy when we went by a few days ago. Stay healthy everyone.

San Juan county has closed transient moorage. I think most yacht club reciprocals in the San Juans are in marinas, I'm thinking they are closed also.

The closure by San Juan County affects county campgrounds, parks/docks only. Of which there are only a few. However, the county has additionally closed all lodging, including B&Bs, and restaurants.

There are only two reciprocal docks in the islands. One is in the Port of Friday Harbor marina and the other in West Sound on Orcas. The marina may well close theirs, but the one on Orcas is simply a dock with no water or power, so that just might stay open.

WA State Parks has declared all docks as day use only, and they cannot be used for overnight moorage. Buoys are still open for overnighting on, though.

Seems to me swinging on anchor meets code for social distancing.

But will I have to parachute drop onto my boat given the travel restrictions in place?

Looking like I am going to have a lot of time to learn new tunes/rips on my banjo!

Being on my boat seems like one of the safest places to be, if I can get to my boat.

WA State Parks has declared all docks as day use only, and they cannot be used for overnight moorage. Buoys are still open for overnighting on, though.

Moonfish, I just invested about 30+ minutes tracing various links from another post that linked to the St of Wa and Fish and Game and DNR and it is a bit confusing. I could find no reference specifically prohibiting overnighting on marine park docks. None. If someone has a link that is specific to marine parks and overnight dock usage please post it. All prohibitions and cautions are about campgrounds.

San Juan County has closed docks to transient moorage overnight. That’s two facilities and these are not state facilities.

One poster reviewed a call with a parks employee from Oly who said no and hell no to staying at docks OR bouys. Interesting. One can only wonder at the inconsistent and incomplete information. I could understand a lack of attention in a state for which boating is a small blip in the state economy. But here? With the border closed? Maybe the folks in Oly consider boating a rich persons pastime and it’s not worth tending to. Big mistake.

Anyway - that’s my two cents worth. I’m waiting for some final work to be completed then I plan to top off the tanks and we’ll take off for a while.

Moonfish, I just invested about 30+ minutes tracing various links from another post that linked to the St of Wa and Fish and Game and DNR and it is a bit confusing. I could find no reference specifically prohibiting overnighting on marine park docks. None. If someone has a link that is specific to marine parks and overnight dock usage please post it. All prohibitions and cautions are about campgrounds.

Saw your post and immediately started looking for the source where I read that the docks were day use only. I could not find it, what with the preponderance of information flying around out there right now...

I just read on a Puget Sound Boater's group that as of a few hours ago, WA State Parks have closed EVERYTHING, including buoys. No source was credited, though.

I don't know what to believe anymore!!!

I just came back from two state parks on Whidbey Island. Both have clearly posted closed signs. I had thought the parks are open for day use but closed to overnight. When I got back home I looked at the state parks web site. It clearly says Wa State Parks are closed. No mention of day use vs overnight. No mention of marine parks, buoys of docks. All it says are all parks closed.

https://www.parks.wa.gov/alertcenter/AlertDetails?Mobile=ON&alertID=3
Saw your post and immediately started looking for the source where I read that the docks were day use only. I could not find it, what with the preponderance of information flying around out there right now...

I just read on a Puget Sound Boater's group that as of a few hours ago, WA State Parks have closed EVERYTHING, including buoys. No source was credited, though.

I don't know what to believe anymore!!!

Maybe I can clear some of this up. I posted today on another thread that the state park where I am (Prevost Harbor) had posted signs yesterday on the dock that it was open only for day use, no over night moorage, no camping, but you could use the buoys. I did not read about this anywhere on the internet, I saw the signs with my own eye's.

Tonight it has changed. The new signs posted today say that the park and all facilities are closed. So it has changed since yesterday.

Thanks for the update from Stuart Island.

We're at SYC Friday Harbor. Today, the club closed all outstations. We do winter moorage here, so we're allowed to stay for the moment. We were hoping to spend time anchored out at the State Parks. I guess we can still anchor, but no hiking ashore.

We have a family cabin on Decatur Island, so maybe we'll wander over that way this week...

We are well stocked with food and diesel and will make water as needed. Seems more responsible to stay on the boat than to walk on the ferry, find a ride to the car parked at Cap Sante, and drive back to the place in Belltown...

Just would be a lot more enjoyable to be able to get off the boat and take walks in nature.

Tonight it has changed. The new signs posted today say that the park and all facilities are closed. So it has changed since yesterday.

I'd guess you can still anchor out with them objecting, just don't come ashore. Nothing said about anchoring?

Back
Top Bottom