1973 36 GB water tank removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB Water Tanks

Cigatoo, very interesting! I have just started removing our water tanks in our 1988 36' Aft Cabin. Stbd one I cut up and got out yesterday. Will get to port in the next few days.

Did you do your tanks yourself? I like the dimensions of your tanks and the actual tanks that are made here...I'm only about an hour away from them.

Are your tanks in the aft section of the lazerrette? Old Sea Dogs were up to the fwd bhd. My 2 are aft along the transom but like the idea of 3 tall tanks.

Is your boat on the hard in Maine? Any chance to get a look at your tank job?

I think I have your boat card, ok to email you?

Thanks very much.
Best
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine (South Harpswell)

Sent you a private message.
Cigatoo, very interesting! I have just started removing our water tanks in our 1988 36' Aft Cabin. Stbd one I cut up and got out yesterday. Will get to port in the next few days.

Did you do your tanks yourself? I like the dimensions of your tanks and the actual tanks that are made here...I'm only about an hour away from them.

Are your tanks in the aft section of the lazerrette? Old Sea Dogs were up to the fwd bhd. My 2 are aft along the transom but like the idea of 3 tall tanks.

Is your boat on the hard in Maine? Any chance to get a look at your tank job?

I think I have your boat card, ok to email you?

Thanks very much.
Best
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine (South Harpswell)

I have a pair of un-baffled 75 gallon stand-up water tanks.

Perhaps because they are standing up they don't need to be baffled?

Baffling is used to prevent Free Surface Effect. This is when the boat heels over and the fluid in a partially filled tank flows to the low side, causing the boat to heel more. A long, narrow tank mounted athwartships (long axis running side to side) would demonstrate the effect more than the same tank mounted in line or upright. It's the distance the fluid can flow that causes the problem. This is really important in tank ships, in rough seas Free Surface Effect could capsize the ship. In our sized vessels, I doubt the individual tanks could be large enough to cause any problem other than the sound of the fluid sloshing around. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tank baffling

I’m a brand new member so please be gentle. I’ve been soaking up (pardon the pun) all the info I can handle relative to replacement of fuel and water tanks. Since I race sports cars for a hobby I’m somewhat familiar with fuel cells. Companies like ATL will sell internal baffling foam by cubic measurement to replace degraded foam commonly used in their fuel cells. The inspection port in our cell is about 10”x8”. Apparently the swap out is about as difficult as stuffing a pillow in a pillow case. I was told the foam only occupies about 6% of the tanks volume.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom