Old 09-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We ended up at Spencer’s Spit State Park. The wind is out of the North and all 4 mooring buoys on the South side were open. We snagged the one furthest to the East and then the others quickly filled up.

We went for a walk around the spit and my wife found an agate on the beach. That made her vacation right there. We may check out Fisherman’s Bay tomorrow, or might clear customs and find a spot on the CA side.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #22

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
we did the same route a few weeks ago. I've always loved Spencer Spit. We tied up in Fishermans Bay for a few days after that, at Island Marine Center. Walked down the street to the Lopez Islander resort for dinner one night. The one non-fun experience was getting up at 2 a.m to take one of the dogs for a walk. As we headed up the dock, she mistook the wind blown mung and junk that can gather in a slip for actual ground and stepped out on it...strait to the bottom. Jumping in to help her out was one of my least favorite parts of the trip. Have a fun trip.

ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Nice trip and pics. We just got back from 14 days in the San Juans and Guld Islands. Our very first time and it was everything I had dreamed it could be. Anchoring in Tod Inlet for a couple of nights and hiking out to catch the bus to Victoria and walking through Butchart Gardens at night was by far my favorite.

Very smokey for the first few days but it cleared up and remained perfect for the following 10 days.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
TodInlet.jpg   SmokeFortitude.jpg  
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
we did the same route a few weeks ago. I've always loved Spencer Spit. We tied up in Fishermans Bay for a few days after that, at Island Marine Center. Walked down the street to the Lopez Islander resort for dinner one night. The one non-fun experience was getting up at 2 a.m to take one of the dogs for a walk. As we headed up the dock, she mistook the wind blown mung and junk that can gather in a slip for actual ground and stepped out on it...strait to the bottom. Jumping in to help her out was one of my least favorite parts of the trip. Have a fun trip.

Lol, that is funny. I’m sure not at the time however. I did that once as a very little kid. Took a running jump to land on what I thought was sawdust. Big surprise!

Flat calm right now. just got finished trying to paddle board for the first time. We picked up a couple inflatable SUPs because we thought the kids might like it. I only fell in once, the water temperature is good motivation. I didn’t last very long. After a while my legs started to fatigue and quiver so I paddled back to the boat. 15 years ago I could run for 30 miles. Now 30 minutes of SUP and I’m whooped.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	80538

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #25

we rented a couple kayaks from the vendor at Spencer Spit. had a great time, but like you, tired faster than I thought. Guys at the rental place were nice enough to pry me out of the kayak at the end, so all was good. Photo above looks like the same place.

Now I'm officially jealous. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I looked it up and think I saw the water temp is like mid 50s?? I would have a heart attack if I fell in that.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #27

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We are heading out Thursday morning. Probably going to Sucia then Rosario. Maybe we will see you around..
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I looked it up and think I saw the water temp is like mid 50s?? I would have a heart attack if I fell in that.

Mid 50’s would be a bit above the average summer temps. Upper 40s is the average winter temps. However, you can get pockets of warmer water. When I fell in today it was definitely warmer than the typical 53 degrees, maybe not by much but a little makes a big difference.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #29
Guru

My wife decided that she wanted some dock time today so we went to Deer Harbor Marina. I’ve not been here before so why not? Nice Marina although it was a very tight turn to get into the assigned slip. The fairways are wide, but the entrance to the fairway is very narrow. We were assigned the first slip on the right. Fortunately, I had a few inches to stair both fore and aft.

As it happens, there is a wooden boat festival right now. They had a sailboat race of the woodies as we were coming in. Beautiful boats! Lots of very nice old powered vessels as well. A number of original Monk Sr. Designs built in the Puget Sound area.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #30

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Hi Dhays!

I really miss the San Juans it looks like a nice cruise.

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #31
Guru

My wife and I finally sat down and came up with a tentative itinerary. Of course this could change at any moment.

Wed- Otter Bay. Another place I’ve not been and heard it is nice.

Thur- Prevost Island, thinking Glenthorne Passage or if that is too crowded one of the other bays depending on predicted wind direction. The other option is Wallace Island. I seem to recall that Keith looks across Houstoun Passage that direction from his place on Saltspring Island?

Fri-Sat- Ganges

Sun- Cowichan Bay. Another place I’ve not been before although I was at Genoa Bay last year. Looks interesting.

Mon - Thinking about Tod Inlet/Butchart Cove. Again, somewhere I’ve not been and I think my wife would like the Gardens.

Tue - ???

Wed - Roche Harbor. Need to check back into the US and we haven’t stayed there in a number of years.

Thur - Somewhere in Eastsound most likely.

Fri - La Conner hopefully.

Sat - back to Gig Harbor.

Some of those will depend on whether we can get spots at the Marinas. A lot more marina time than I like, but I need to keep my wife happy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #32
Guru

City: Anacortes
We were just at Deer, first time in a long time. We used to go there a lot in our prior boats and were talking that it seemed like just yesterday when the new docks and showers went in.

I really like Wallace, I had planned for 2 days there this week, but have been playing Marina monkey after getting sick for most of this trip. Marina just makes it easier to get a good nights rest, though we have had precious little wind this trip. We just did three nights in Ganges instead, heading to Genoa for the food. Cow last year in my mind continued to be a better dingy visit part time from Genoa, than the primary destination. A bit of the derelicts were cleaned up, but still an armpit. JMHOYMMV.

Tod Inlet is a repeat favorite of mine. Have not been to Butchart for years, but doing it from the water is the best way.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #33
Guru

City: Anacortes
Also, we did Otter last year, had not been in there in probably ten years. Things were in decent shape, but pretty quiet and not much going on in comparison to years past. Worth a stop, especially if you have never been. Used to be a good burger joint if you walked up the road to the ferry landing, think it’s still there but we did not stop this last time so my review is about a decade outdated, but they still show good reviews on yelp.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #34

At Deer Harbor, wasn't it the Deer Harbor Inn that is a short walk up the road for a very tasty meal? I think so. One of my favorite meals while up the san juans.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #35
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Pics. We need pics!

It would also be cool to see some video of your boat underway...
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Pics. We need pics!

I will see what I can do.

Left Deer Harbor a bit ago. Ran into a friend of mine at the dock and he offered to help get us off the dock. This put me out of my normal routine and internal checklist. As such, we were away from the dock and leaving the harbor before I realized that our GPS wasn’t working. I quickly brought out the paper charts and protractor to come up with a course and keep track of where we are. I used to do this all the time in the days before GPS but admit that I was a bit slower off the mark this morning. Time for some more practice.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Pics. We need pics!

Here is an attempt. Not sure if it will work.

https://youtu.be/SjZhiVJDlUg

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #38
Guru

Leaving Bedwell we turned NW along Oak’s Bluff on the SW side of North Pender Island. Amazing views those homes have up there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	80596

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #39
Guru

Otter Bay is pretty nice! My wife says she would like to come here by ferry in the winter. Small little place very friendly (of course it is in Canada).Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180905_160802302.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	80604Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180905_155813175_HDR.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	80605

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #40
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Used to be good burgers at the ferry dock, a short walk away. Also a Legion up the road, with friendly folks, cold beer and a huge snooker table! Rides to places usually easy to find! Nice little Park across the bay.. Your wife looked like she was pretty involved in that book while Otto was working away.

Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote