Portland, OR to Anacortes in May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vancouvertechie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
He'e Nalu
Vessel Make
44' Tollycraft CPMY
We are looking at taking our 44' Tollycraft from Portland up to Anacortes to store permanently on the hard and launch from time to time.

I am doing some pre-planning, but will take any advice from anyone who has done this journey. I am planning at least a week to complete the journey.

Portland to Astoria
Astoria to Westport
Westport to Quileute? (if necessary)
Quileute/LaPush to Neah Bay
Neah Bay to Port Angeles?
PA to Anacortes

Looking at averaging 10 knots with plenty of fuel to spare with the 1/3 rule. All this is weather dependent of course.

VT

We are looking at taking our 44' Tollycraft from Portland up to Anacortes to store permanently on the hard and launch from time to time.

I am doing some pre-planning, but will take any advice from anyone who has done this journey. I am planning at least a week to complete the journey.

Portland to Astoria
Astoria to Westport
Westport to Quileute? (if necessary)
Quileute/LaPush to Neah Bay
Neah Bay to Port Angeles?
PA to Anacortes

Looking at averaging 10 knots with plenty of fuel to spare with the 1/3 rule. All this is weather dependent of course.

VT
I'm very familiar with that trip. In my opinion you're planning more stops than you need unless you want to visit all those ports.

I usually do Portland to Astoria to Westport to Neah Bay to Anacortes. I can usually find a weather window to make it without long layovers.

I'd consider Ilwaco over Astoria because it cuts a little bit of time off the run to Westport. Also if you are comfortable anchoring there are numerous stops you can make along the Straight of Juan de Fuca. You would probably bypass all of these and just run Neah Bay to Anacortes but if something comes up and you need to stop here are some ideas.
Callam Bay - Enough protection to get out of the brunt of west winds but can be rolly. Try to tuck in close the the docks. Sport fishing community, limited marine supplies.
Port Angeles - The spit will protect you from the fetch and boat traffic but you can still get blasted by the wind if anchoring. Tons of marine supplies, boat yard, marina, etc.
Dungeness Spit - Same as Port Angeles but you are basically in a nature preserve vs. industrial nature of Port Angeles. No resources, just protection from westerly fetch.
Discovery Bay and Sequim Bay are available but a little off course.

I'm very familiar with that trip. In my opinion you're planning more stops than you need unless you want to visit all those ports.

I usually do Portland to Astoria to Westport to Neah Bay to Anacortes. I can usually find a weather window to make it without long layovers.

I agree with portage bay. The other problem is you will end up missing the weather window and taking two weeks to do the trip.

ASD will tell you he does it in one day. I bet he tells you he looks for the best weather window in the week he is planning and that determines which day he goes.

I also make the trip at 10 knots. I usually stay in Ilwaco if I need to wait for weather. Ilwaco to Neah Bay is about 14 to 15 hours by the time you clear or enter port, and the way I go. I try to travel in deep water to minimize the increasing swell size as it enters shallow water. I usually stay in 500 fathoms+ unless the ocean is unusually calm. It makes for a better ride and faster speed.
The ports between Astoria and Neah Bay are not fun to get into in much of a storm. La Push is usually closed in heavy SW seas. If you don't have experience crossing bars, I'd plan on Astoria to Neah Bay. There's a good store in Neah Bay and fuel is available. I usually fuel up in Port Angeles because it's my last stop before Canada and higher fuel prices.
From Neah Bay to Anacortes is usually a piece of cake, a day's cruising, but worth planning to run with favorable tides. Especially Rosiaro Strait and Guemes Channel.

Currently the Makah Tribe has the marina at Neah Bay closed to non-tribal members. Hopefully things will be different in the near future. Here is the website that has the status https://makah.com/

VT
ASD with a similar vessel to yours is a great source of hands on experience for this trip. You should be able to cruise well above 10 knots as does ASD. Thus the journey is quicker. Give Tom a shout.

What engines do you have?

Your #1 concern is weather and the Columbia River Bar. Look at weather, listen to the bar report. I use Illwaco as a starting point. Once clear of the bar, I head out about 15 miles. From Illwaco to Neah Bay is about 190sm. I do it in 12-13 hours depending on the seas. 335 gallons of fuel.

Beware, you can not get fuel at Neah Bay as stated above or at La Push for the same reasons.

Have a lookout looking at the seas for crab pot strings.

"Have a lookout posted".

I'd guess that would be Kay for normal operations?

"Have a lookout posted".

I'd guess that would be Kay for normal operations?
Yep and we have a system for pots. She screams: pot, 2 oclock,, orange! I must answer "got it" or she screams again, but louder. You want to answer the first time.

Thank you everyone. Plenty of experience with fishing out to the CR buoy in my Seasport and Zodiac. With the Arima guys hanging at Neah Bay during Halibut season was always interesting finding a weather window to head out to Swiftsure.

I agree on getting out past the commercial crab pot zone. As it gets closer and checking the weather will increase in the excitement.

Me fishing at CR buoy.

Thank you everyone!!!

VT

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_193748_197.jpg
    IMG_20210710_193748_197.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Anyone planning a trip up north departing from the PDX area soon? Looking at doing a buddy boat with someone for the 1st trip up.

Thank you,

VT

Attachments

• TollycraftonColumbia.jpg
    TollycraftonColumbia.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 21
Anyone planning a trip up north departing from the PDX area soon? Looking at doing a buddy boat with someone for the 1st trip up.

Thank you,

VT
Wish you luck. We decided to stay on the river this year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom