Old 05-11-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

City: SOUTH HAMILTON
IG 36 cruise speed vs fuel burn

I have a IG 36 with twin cummins 270hp, anyone have similar? Curious about fuel burn at different cruising speeds. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Jono57766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 PM   #2

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Wow2 - thats a bit of grunt you have down in the engine room - we have two good old boys - Ford Lehman 135s- I calculate about 16Litres per hour total @1700rpm so you may be able to extrapolate from that
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #3

City: SOUTH HAMILTON
I will say I feel that my power is a bit excessive which is why I'm curious if anyone else has similar. Thank you for the reply!
Jono57766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Jono, is that a repower?
I had an IG 36 with more than adequate Lehman 120s which used 12-16L p/hour total at around hull speed.I know of 200hp Volvos factory fitted to 36s.

My IG36 based Integrity 386 has Cummins 210s(yea,no aftercoolers!) and seems quite economical. The Qld. Integrity 426 I didn`t proceed with had C 270s and hit 17 knots on sea trial.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:07 AM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
You can easily prepare a fuel burn yourself with no instruments. Print out the attached data sheet for your engine and particularly note the third graph- engine rpm vs fuel consumption.

Then take your speed at various rpms and make another graph by plotting speed vs fuel consumption from the rpm graph times two. It should be within 10-15%.

Another way is to join boatdiesel and use their prop calculator. But that is totally theoretical whereas the above method at least uses your real world speed vs rpm data.

You can obtain fuel burn reports from fellow TF members, but in my experience they are highly variable and don't take into account generator use, currents and are often just guesses.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins 6BTA 270 hp datasheet.pdf (224.6 KB, 7 views)
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:30 AM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono57766 View Post
I will say I feel that my power is a bit excessive which is why I'm curious if anyone else has similar. Thank you for the reply!
Jono, create your chart. RPM, SOG reading from you very own meter, GPH, then you can figure max. distance/RPM.

Anything someone else provided may not be accurate for your boat due to weight, sea state etc.
To negate the current etc, 2 mile out, 2 miles back. You can refine the chart over time.

Do this w/o the generator running then figure in about 1.5gph.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #7
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I can't add too much to this conversation as I have the same FL120 configuration as Bruce's old boat. Except to say that I did a graph as discussed above and noted that that the fuel consumption on our IG 36 increased 90% when measured against our cruising speed at 1600rpm to WOT (2600rpm). All for a gain of 1.8 knots!
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
With that much HP on a 36’ boat you might be able to go 20kts at a gallon a mile. You will probably use one two two tenths more gallons per hour over the guys with the Lehman’s if you match their speed.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
With that much HP on a 36’ boat you might be able to go 20kts at a gallon a mile. You will probably use one two two tenths more gallons per hour over the guys with the Lehman’s if you match their speed.
Why more fuel for the Cummins? The Cummins has the same displacement as the Lehman, so the mechanical parasitic losses should be the same. The turbo on the Cummins might actually improve efficiency a bit, even at low rpms as well as more modern injectors.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Why more fuel for the Cummins? The Cummins has the same displacement as the Lehman, so the mechanical parasitic losses should be the same. The turbo on the Cummins might actually improve efficiency a bit, even at low rpms as well as more modern injectors.

David
. I have not done the figures but my impression, watching the sight tubes etc, is that the turbo Cummins 210s in a boat with hull very similar/derived from the IG36, look to be more economical than the L120s even at slightly faster speed.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post

David
That is very possible. I thought the Cummins was a bigger displacement engine. If you are correct then the tenth might go the other way. My main point was no significant difference in fuel consumption.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:16 AM   #12
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Our IG 36 has twin Cummins 210hp. With light boat--less than half fuel and water we can do 14knots. So you should easily do 15 in any load conditions. We cruise 1150 rpm at 7.5 knots burning 3 gallons per hour total--no genny running. At this relaxed pace the boat runs very quietly--sound level is so low it is amazing. Is running this slow good for the engines? They are 25years old and not causing any issues so I am not overly concerned. With my 410 fuel cap I have close to 1ooo mile range. I have two wing tanks and a 90 gallon center tank. When the wing tanks are approx one quarter fuel I have transfer system to drain the tanks thru a filter into the center tank as a day tank. This way I can use all available fuel if needed.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote