New Tender by Cottrell Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
After a lifetime of boating including four trawlers and different tenders we find ourselves without a trawler but still looking for something small to keep us on the water. This led to me to scratch off another bucket list item and own a handcrafted wooden boat. Since i enjoyed rowing our other dingy's I thought at first to find a true rowing boat but then decided a tender would be more practical and allow for an electric O/B motor. After searching the web for months I came upon Cottrell Boats in Maine and their different boats. It only took 15 minutes talking with Lynn (owner - wife) to decide this was the company I would work with. After a call with her husband we agreed to build the Chaisson Dory tender but extend it from 10' to 11' and increase the sides a few inches. Watching the boat being built week by week thought photos has been great and we should see the boat within the next few weeks.

Realizing a true wood constructed boat requires a little more care is something I'm looking forward to learning and since the boat will be on a trailer it should not be that bad. I welcome any suggestions or points to consider owning and using a wooden boat. thanks

John t.

They make some pretty boats, Enjoy!
That Wherry really caught my eye, looks like a dream to row

New Boat & Learning

Not to sound really dumb but I will admit I jumped into this new build with limited knowledge on new wood boat construction and decided to trust the company. This week I showed my ignorance and simply asked the owner (Lynn) just how do we keep the water out of the boat over time. She did not laugh and walked me through the process including the type of wood used, sealing the joints with an epoxy sealent, two coats of special primer, two coats of paint primer then final paint. She explained this process (unlike the traditional bent frames and panels) will last years with minimal maintenance and the boat doesn't need to swell each season.

The above is in line with my earlier research but hearing direct from the builder was definitely reassuring. Next step is to complete the varnish on the transom and paint the name by hand. We decided to use "Two @ Sea" which is the same as the license plate on one of our cars and the name planned for our next trawler. Fun stuff.

John

Boat Name

Always fun deciding on the name of any boat. We are getting close to seeing this one completing and shipping in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Two at Sea.jpg
    Two at Sea.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 359
Nearing Completion

Today I learned our boat is complete less the optional motor plate on the transom to support the 3hp electric motor. This is not standard on the model we built and the last thing to be installed. All the painting and varnishing is complete, and Lynn (owner of Cottrell Boats) said she turn out beautiful. Pictures should arrive tomorrow. Next step is for Lynn to locate a shipping company and get the boat loaded for its cross-country trip which will take about a week. If all goes well, we should see the boat mid-month.

Purchasing our first ever semi-custom wooded boat is a little exciting despite being just a rowing / tender boat. I look at this purchase as "Bucket List Item" and a steppingstone to the electric launch we started to design and will be colded molded construction. Talk about going against the tide from fiberglass trawlers to wooden boats!

I will post a few pictures once I receive them. I welcome any pointers related to owning and caring for a wooden boat even thought this boat is sealed and has a five-step process on the exterior primer and paint. Thanks

John

You bought a work of art. Get the optional motor mount pate.

Boat Is Complete

We received word today from the builder that our boat was finished and ready to ship. Lynn was able to locate a shipper within a day and has him scheduled to pick the boat tomorrow morning and start the journey from Maine to San Diego, CA. Now we start the stressful part of this process. I keep thinking about our new Sandpiper catboat purchased from a builder in Maine and had it shipped to SD. Upon its arrival we discovered significant damage occurred during shipment when the boat lifted up from the trailer then slammed back down resulting in some deep scratches in the bow and hull. I cannot express how disappointing it was to see our first ever sailboat arrive damaged, but we had her repaired back to new condition and moved forward. Fingers crossed 2@Sea arrives safely and without any damage.

I will post photos of the completed boat as soon as I receive them from the builder.

John

Shipping to San Diego

After only a few months the boat is complete and left Maine for San Diego, CA today.

Attachments

• 2 @ Sea.jpg
    2 @ Sea.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20
Boat Arrival

Last week we received the boat via a transport company hired by the builder who specializes in smaller items like furniture. He drives a large MBZ Van and has the inside set up nicely with carpeting and hold down straps. The boat arrived in perfect condition which was a nice surprise after the last boat delivery. The driver and I lifted the boat up and out then placed it onto the trailer which I had prepositioned. Total process took only a few minutes and the driver left. I have to make some adjustments to the trailer which I anticipated but overall things look fine. The trailer is definitely overkill for this boat but I knew that going in.

An interesting aspect of west coast versus east coast trailers is that west coast trailers do not use as many rollers. The very aft cross member frame does not include a roller and the boat rests solely on the two carpeted boards. East coast trailers have a roller for the boats keel to rest and something I'm used to. I ordered a roller from the factory and expect it within a day or two.

After a few days with the boat stored in the garage I unpacked the oars and found another piece of artwork. The hand sawn leather grips are very nice and the name of the oar builder and boat builder are burned into the paddle. They are so nice I ordered a custom carrying case from the manufacture to protect them.

Next up is to order custom cushions for the seats and large piece of covered foam for the bow so Mary can sit and rest her back against something.

Next step is to mount and test the Torqeedo 3hp motor prior to taking the boat out for her maiden voyage later this week. Fun stuff.

John

Looks absolutely beautiful! Please post more pics once you have her in the water! I appreciate a good rowing dinghy - we had a Trinka 10 for a few years before the family got too big and required a much less attractive but practical RIB. I've also always admired the PT-11, but your true wooden boat (versus epoxy stitch and glue for the PT-11) is quite something to behold. Enjoy!

Photos

Delivery photo below.

Attachments

• 2 at sea 2.jpg
    2 at sea 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
First Row

After almost two weeks of taking delivery of the boat I found time on Friday to take her out and see how she rowed. I left the Torqeedo motor at home so I could see how the boat handled in her natural state as rowboat. The first thing I noticed after launching and tying her up to the dock was her taller bow rise compared to the Gig Harbor 10' Navigator. Boarding was done with care since these boats will give way to any unbalanced weight. With my feet centered on the sole I was careful to find my place close to midsection and inserted both oars into their positions. After untying the two-dock lines I pushed myself off the dock, lowered the oars and was off. I found the boat to row easily despite having a relatively larger flatter bottom than the Gig Harbor. The little extra stability could be felt and welcomed.

I was fighting an incoming current as I headed down the harbor to the protected bay that leads to the ocean. Despite the wind and current I found the raised height of the oars very comfortable compared to the Gig Harbor and less intrusive to the gunwale which on the Gig Harbor I rubbed and ruined the varnish finish with the oars. Upon entering the bay I was met with a one-foot chop which the boat handled very well. I felt the boat cut through the chop with purpose and felt safer than with the Gig Harbor. The largest waves I encountered were about 2' and spaced half the boats length from a passing fishing boat. No problem I thought as the boat took handled them bow first. After a while I turned around and was chased down by a 45-50 foot sailboat with the crew yelling "beautiful boat". Upon entering the calm water of the marina, I could feel the boat glide effortlessly with each pull of the oars.

After two hours I decided it was time to call it a day and returned to the dock. Exiting the boat was done with caution and non-eventful. A little tweaking of the trailer winch post and boards followed, and I feel confident the boat is sitting correctly. Once the predicated light rain and wind of hurricane Hillary passes this weekend, I will try the Torqeedo 3 hp motor and see how the boat handles the weight aft. I remember the Gig Harbor would sit low aft with the motor and myself solo in the boat. I'm hopeful this boat can handle the weight better with its flatter bottom but not sure yet. With two people on board to balance the weight distribution this will not be an issue so I will need to convince Mary to go with me next time.

Trailering the boat is not an issue despite the trailer being larger than required. Keeping the 100lb boat securely tied down is the biggest issue and something I'm still working on to protect the wood finish. A quick wash down with soap and water then toweled dry took about 15 minutes prior to pushing the boat & trailer was back inside the garage. Sometimes smaller and simplicity has its benefits. Fun stuff.

John

That is a great looking boat and nice adventure. Glad it rows and handles well too. My guess is that it will handle the small motor with no issues and should be great fun to cruise around in with power or oars.

Trailer hull Support

Beautiful.
But I prefer small open boats to have a darker bilge color. So much heat and brightness directed right up at the human occupants.

John N4061 wrote “An interesting aspect of west coast versus east coast trailers is that west coast trailers do not use as many rollers.”
Profound observation. My opinion is that generally bunks are good for boats the have straight runs on the hull bottom like planing boats. Sailboats, rowboats and like have curved (rockered) hull bottoms that work well for light boats.
Then there's the friction issue. Rollers seem ideal but to distribute the boat weight well a perfectly matching bunk is best.
For my 18’ OB I choose a hybrid. Bunks w 2-3 times as many rollers as usual. But the rollers were so crude the friction was still high.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Update

It's been a few months since taking delivery of the boat and I'm pleased to report it continues to meet if not exceed all expectations. The boat offers a nice balance between stability when boarding (partial flat bottom) and efficiency while rowing. One pull on the oars allows the boat to glide through the water a nice distance. The biggest surprise is how well she handles relatively rough water (1' chop) and larger swells up to 3' from passing boats when taken on the bow. Her sweeping lines leading to a tall bow provides security in rougher water. I have rowed as far as 1/2 mile outside the inlet on a calm day and just sat there watching surfers riding swells. It was cool to view surfers from the water and not the beach. Every time I take the boat out, I have people compliment the boat. Anyone thinking about purchasing a dingy and wants something different I highly recommend Cottrell Boats.

Attachments

• IMG_0530 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0530 - Copy.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 13
Longest Trip (so far)

With the best boating season in southern California upon us (Sep - Dec) i decided to take the boat out twice this week. The weather was sunny skies and 71 degrees on the water. The ocean was as calm as it gets so I decided to row out to the Oceanside buoy about a mile from land. For this row I put on my life vest and made sure the handheld VHF radio was nearby before turning on my music. I found some really great Italian and French Deep House music and while most songs are in their respective languages which I don't understand the sounds are great.

After clearing the jetty and turning west towards the buoy I quickly relized the current was strong and pushing me south. Every third pull on the oars required a little more on the port side to keep me on track and the swells while far apart were about 3 feet. It took a while and lots of course correction but I made it and took a couple of pictures. The return trip wasn't any easier fighting the current, but I did make it back without any real issues. Another fun and rewarding day out on the boat.

I learn something new about the 6' pine oars that have a 12" leather wrap for protection at the brass eye. At the close end of the leather there is a leather collar that helps keep the oar from sliding out of the ring. When I would row, I would position the oar such that the collar was pulling on the eye ring, and I managed to loosen up the collar. This occurred while I was nearing the buoy a mile out and I thought "this is not good". Fast forward and talking with the oar manufacture I learned the collar should not be touching the eye ring and remain 6 inches away - ouch. Now I feel like a real dummy who didn't know how to use a set of oars. I guess I'm still learning new things every day.

Another take away from this trip was I need to carry a set of flares and safety equipment if plan to spend more time outside. While one mile may not sound far from the beach if the current is going the wrong direction I could end up in Japan - not good. While we have the electric launch started, I'm seriously thinking about building another rowing boat but one without a flatter bottom (stability I wanted) and designed for offshore rowing. I still have a lot to learn about the size and ability for one person to handle but it's on the list. Fun stuff.

Selling the Boat?

Last week I decided to list the boat for sale as I plan to build another one for ocean rowing. While this boat has exceeded my expectations and provides the initial stability I worried about for when Mary joins me, it turns out she never goes out with me and is waiting for the electric launch. This allows me to build a slightly different model, slightly longer with a hull designed for rowing while recognizing I'll give up some of the stability, I have come to appreciate with the Chaisson Dory. As with all boats there are tradeoffs and smaller rowing boats are no different. I'm in no rush to start the new build and the deal with Mary is that two boats is my limit. With the electric launch due later this year I have to sell 2 @ Sea first before starting the new boat which will also be built on the east coast and shipped to San Diego. Fun stuff.

John

change in decision

After performing a little more research I decided the Chaisson Dory is likely the best boat our there for my use. Most rowing boats include round hulls with less stability then our boat with its "flat" center line before starting to curve up. I learned entering and standing inside the boat on its center line while keeping my weight centered the boat doesn't move very much. Not rocket science but until you do it a few times and think about what you're doing right and wrong you don't realize exactly how the boat works.

Since the boat continues to exceed my expectations why sell it when there is not anything else out there, I can find that would do a better job. So for now 2 @ Sea will remain my boat for exercise and continue to receive very nice compliments whenever I take her out. Fun Stuff.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom