Rebuilding a Lofrans Trigres

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
Anybody taken apart and rebuilt a Lofrans Tigres, especially removing the motor and worm drive from the worm wheel?

My windlass from a PO had a lot of wear and tear, and I think has broken a key or ground something on the shaft/gear. I have ordered some replacement parts to ensure an effective rebuild.

Current symptom is motor and worm wheel are turning fine, but the main windlass shaft does not - suggesting the connection with the worm wheel to the main shaft is broken. The engagement points, pins and springs on the rope drum are badly worn and so the manual crank option is not working either. I'm hoping replacing these parts will get that piece functioning too.

I suspect I will need to remove the motor and worm drive, which I think will need to be "unscrewed" by rotating the motor to extract it.

YouTube videos don't really address this aspect of it.

I have that windlass. Mine had to be dismantled so the windings on the motor could be renewed. That process was simple, just pull, and the gears separate. As far as your problem goes, I didn't dismantle the gear case beyond removing the electric motor from it, so have no further experience.

I have that same windlass on my Grand Banks. Call IMTRA @ 508-995-7000. They handle Lofrans windless parts. Ask for Jim Thomas, their head Lofrans guru. He gave me a ton of tips on how to work on mine, especially things not to do! Nice guy.

I have that one too (the older 1750W I believe), and have to dismantle it to work out what broke when the anchor came free and leapt around in bad weather :eek:.

I couldn't find anything useful on YT or elsewhere either.

Thanks guys… great advice.

Back
Top Bottom