Oil Pressure Sender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oil Gypsy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic #248
On my boat the oil Pressure Senders are installed directly above the alternator with a flexible tube back to the sensor take off on the block. The low oil pressure sensor is tied into this arrangement with a "T". Apparently this was the original installation which seems a bit sketchy, with any leak dripping onto the alternator.

I am planning to change this setup and without re inventing the wheel would like to know if anyone has changed this arrangement and if so could you share the design.

Thanks in advance

Bill

Attachments

• 856C0ED4-1A3C-4BDF-834D-F1F7CE8F0ED3.jpg
    856C0ED4-1A3C-4BDF-834D-F1F7CE8F0ED3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 14
  • C105C664-B75D-45AD-A832-14443728268E.jpg
    C105C664-B75D-45AD-A832-14443728268E.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12
I also hate this installation! For two reasons, one is the now single point of failure on that silly rubber hose, the other is that I have a matching dent on my forehead from that thing as I get in and out of that side of the engine on our GB 32.

The original senders were right on the block and there is an port that is filled with an allen key plug that you can remove. If yours is like mine someone tried this years ago and the allen head on the plug if stripped round so you may have to live with the setup :mad:

There is a post here that has pictures of where they go in the original setup

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/ford-lehman-120-guage-set-up-22940.html

I was talking to Brian at American Diesel this week and he said that the only reason they are there is because someone at American Marine when they were built thought it would easier faster to hook them up there, he also doesn't like that single hose just sitting out there in space!

Ran two of them like that for 29 years. Must have been stronger than we all think - never an issue.

Back
Top Bottom