Oil Change Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on a Lehman 120. It has an oil drain kit from American Diesel installed, however I have not examined its installation configuration. Question: Does anyone have this setup? Do you need to use a pump with it or gravity drain. Any tips on container for collection.

Thanks in Advance,
JTN Grand Banks

I had a hand pump that was bolted to the engine, when that stared leaking I installed a longer drain tube and use an electric pump now.

You may be able to gravity drain, just depends where, how your engine sits.

I didn’t know they offered a kit. I’m needing to do my first also. My plug is very close to the hull.

I am getting ready to do my first oil change on a Lehman 120. It has an oil drain kit from American Diesel installed, however I have not examined its installation configuration. Question: Does anyone have this setup? Do you need to use a pump with it or gravity drain. Any tips on container for collection.

Thanks in Advance,
JTN Grand Banks
I have the sump drain hose attached and there is a manual pump at the end. I also will be changing to electric pump.
Not sure if you have enough room to gravity feed into a container without spilling all over. I have like a tub under the engine to keep any drips out of bilge so impossible to gravity drain.
Containers? whatever at hand, I use empty oil containers from previous change, old OB gas fuel tank.

Thanks in Advance,
JTN Grand Banks

I put those on my engines, bought an oil extraction pump like this: https://www.tooldiscounter.com/prod...7400?msclkid=04ce96d709be14a99876f7884c2b224e. Hook that up to the end of the hose, BYU.

Pictures would help see what you have. We like pictures!

Our last boat had Lehman 225s in it. They had the drain plug replaced with a valve and a hose. You hooked a pump to the hose and opened the petcock on the oil pan then turn on the pump. I used a Jabsco oil drain pump that came on the top of a 3 gal bucket. I took the pump off the bucket because 3 gallons wasn’t big enough. I just used the pump standalone and it worked great. Took a couple of minutes to drain the 22 guarts. 120 don’t have quite as much quantity of oil.

Keith, did you connect the mityvac to the hose from the drain pan?

Exactly!

The sucker can also suck through the dipstick hole, just as effectively.

True if you use small enough tubing to fit inside the dip tube and you get to the bottom of the pan... but if connecting to the tube itself you can only suck to the bottom of the dipstick tube which isn't at the same level as the drain plug. Hard to beat connecting to the drain plug with decent size hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy oil in 2.5 gallon containers and use a pump electric pump hooked with a hose to the drain plug hole. Also use a minivan 2 gallon vacuum/container to pump out through the dipstick hole. The small tube goes to the bottom of the pan. I always warm the engine up to pump out warm oil. That seems to do a better job of getting all the dirt oil out, plus it pumps easier than cold oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom