36 Classic VS 36 Heritage Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMcGrew

I've searched and cannot find any information.
Can someone help me understand the difference between the 36 Classic and the 36 Heritage Classic?

I am familiar with the Classic, have been on one.
The Heritage Classic we are looking at shows the length as 40'5" - no explanation.

We really like the classic 36 but it's just a bit small, am hoping the heritage is wider or something and there is actually 4 more feet.

Any insights or how I can see specs?

Thanks, Kelli

I think it's the same thing. My GB 36 measures out at something slightly over 40' when you include bow platform and stern swim step, especially if you're having the Harbor Patrol do it (to maximize slip fees) . I think Heritage and Classic are used redundantly. On the 36' hull, they also made a rare sedan version, and a Europa version a little later. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a 4th version on that hull.

I had to look for heritage as I was not aware of the name as it is used for a 36 classic. Google does not show a 36, but starts at 43. From the brief review heritage is a name given the the newest built where the 36 classic was the original in a long line of early built includingh the wooden hulls. I do not think there is such a boat as 36 classic heritage, except in the mind of a seller. The newer ones were called heritage and classic was not part of the name.
But I admit it was the classic 36 that caught my eye and none of the others.

I don’t know about the 36 but I think the 42 (and 46?) became “ heritage” classic when they started with the 41/43 and or 47 , which also came in tri cabin and Europa flavors. Think the 36 was not still available then. Either way I think there are only three 36 hulls. Wood, then fiberglass same shape as wood, then a little bit longer and wider fiberglass. same with the 42. . . . Not sure tho.

I think Grand Banks came-up with the "Heritage" badge when they launched the Aleutian and Eastbay lines and grouped the traditional models under it.

Here is a capture of their website from 2006:

Attachments

• GB.jpg
    GB.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 16
Ah. So the 42 classic and Europa like mine ended in 05. The heritage was the newer line of classics and Europas like the 47 and 41, starting in 06. I still think the last 36 was earlier. Thanks xlantic!

I don't think the models necessarilly changed when the "Heritage" badge was introduced. I think it was introduced at some point before 2005 simply to distinguish the existing traditional Grand Banks models from the Aleutians and Eastbays.

There were some redesigns of the 36 and 42 and maybe others along the way, particularly widening the beam, but I don't know exactly when that was.

36' GB Heritage Classic

When we purchased our 1988 36' Grand Banks, it was advertised as a Heritage Classic. Additionally, in model year 1988 or 87, the 36' was widened and lengthen by 6" and now referred to as "Wide Body". This change provides more room throughout but particularly, noticeable in the aft stateroom.

As stated earlier, our overall lengths is also about 40.5', including the pulpit and swim platform.

I'm not sure of the Heritage moniker but in 87 or 88, the 36' hulls were enhanced in length and width for interior space. An exterior indication is on the 88, there is a step in the aft end of the aft house instead of a flat vertical house back.

Best of luck.
MEans
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine (South Harpswell)

Back
Top Bottom