Survey or not to survey ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SILENTKNIGHT

Vessel Name
STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Make
2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Just made offer & offer accepted. The boat is here in long island NY. The temp is mid 40 during the day, however some nights drops below 30 for 2 days. The boat now on the hard. Broker wanting to do hull inspection now...im anxious as well but want to be sure its the right time? Im not concerned about the engine survey that will go well in water & then i will just winterize again for another 60 days. But i will leave in water sea cocks closed of course. So my question will a hull survey be done with confidence?

Just made offer & offer accepted. The boat is here in long island NY. The temp is mid 40 during the day, however some nights drops below 30 for 2 days. The boat now on the hard. Broker wanting to do hull inspection now...im anxious as well but want to be sure its the right time? Im not concerned about the engine survey that will go well in water & then i will just winterize again for another 60 days. But i will leave in water sea cocks closed of course. So my question will a hull survey be done with confidence?

Is there a particular reason you (or others) believe that there will be limitations on doing the hull survey in the cold?

i was told if there is water in the hull & frozen the surveyor will not be able to detect core-water damage? But then there is alot of chatter about moisture meter? and some kind of " capacity thing"?:confused:

This is true. If there is moisture in the hull, and it is frozen, it will not show up on a moisture meter. If you can wait until a time when the overnight lows are above freezing, that would be better. You just have to make the trade-off between your willingness to wait, and your desire to get the survey done.

This is true. If there is moisture in the hull, and it is frozen, it will not show up on a moisture meter. If you can wait until a time when the overnight lows are above freezing, that would be better. You just have to make the trade-off between your willingness to wait, and your desire to get the survey done.

If the nighttime temperatures are only a couple of degrees below freezing, and the daytime temps are in the 40's, plus the insulation value of fiberglass, what really are the chances that any moisture would be frozen? Especially if the survey is done in the afternoon.

You will have to present a survey to any insurer, so you're pretty well forced into a survey before closing.

What boat are you buying? Some are more a concern then others

Is the hull cored?

Hull survey is happening on Tuesday.......The boat is a 2006 Mainship 34T
I read some have low spots up top near helm on starboard side? Anyone here able to give me some ideas as to what to look for. i will be attending the survey as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom