Stretching the buying budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byron

Mooloolaba Marina, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Aus
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
Hello again.

My prefered budget for a trawler is $150AU. ( Australia )

Ideally I’d like single engine, seperate shower, room for my wife and I on the a lounge or two. Plus a bigger bed that’s very comfortable.

Mainship . Fits that . But more around $200k. I could stretched to $220k . But my comfortable spot is $150k.

My buying budget is seperate from my maintenance budget. This will be my 11th boat so understand maintenance , and costs of twins well.

I recently read. ‘Stretch your budget and get what you want ‘ because if you don’t you’ve never like the boat you buy. Ha . It is only an extra $70k but it’s still more than I want to be spending.

There is not many boats here in Australia for sale but some around that $150k miss key things like seperate shower and room for 2 to lay on lounges.

The missing features you desire cannot be rectified at your price point currently. In my opinion (because you are a boater, understand the complexities, maintenance expenses) I would consider spending the money to get what makes your heart sing.

Example: a guy I know LOVED an aft deck. He bought a vessel without space for two deck chairs. The couple seldom used that boat.

The boat that might have made him happy:
SportFishOffLefty'sBow.jpg

His new boat comfortably fits two in the cockpit with ease. For that he gave up a separate shower. To him (and her!) a wet head was far less onerous than no place to lounge out back.

I would not "settle" on things that cannot be rectified. So yes, go with the boat that will work for years, not the one that cannot be altered to meet your needs and desires.

My girl:
RainbowOverSeaweed.jpg

My own boat was inadequate at purchase however I knew that thing things wrong or missing could eventually be fixed. And yes, 16 years later almost every desire except the tuna door aft has been completed. In the meantime I have enjoyed my Seaweed enormously. I am indeed fortunate.

Spend the money. Amortized over the years you will enjoy her, I cannot help but believe you will be pleased.

There is this Youtube channel that always ends with:

In 20 years time you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than the things you did do.

And that basically sums it all up.
If you can afford it and you think it will make you happy then just go for it. You only live once, you cannot take it with you and you definitely don't want to sit in an elderly home or lying in a bed thinking: I wish I had done it when I could.

Here is the full quote that belongs to Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens).

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ”
I like the "Sailing Parlay Revival" channel but he really should cite the source.

A Riviera 33 gets close while not actually a trawler. Oh and twin Cummins 210s,but no aftercoolers. Not far off your original price range. ER no more cramped than a Mainship. Several on boatsonline incl in Qld. And the windows open:).

As someone who bought a Mainship Trawler 400 in Aust last year for over 300k, these vessels are very hard to find. It might be take what you can get. I like a walk around and the 400 is perfect.

As someone who bought a Mainship Trawler 400 in Aust last year for over 300k, these vessels are very hard to find. It might be take what you can get. I like a walk around and the 400 is perfect.
Congratulations David, I almost bought a 395 several years back. Where is it berthed? We are at Bobbin Head.

Back
Top Bottom