Old 10-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNA74GRAYGOAT View Post
I知 a Newbie searching to purchase a Pilot 30-II, and while I知 unable to comment on this fuel line posting I have a question for the group regarding life expectancy of aluminum fuel tanks on MS Pilots.

In my original search for MS trawlers and now that I知 searching for a Pilots
30, I致e found that numerous listings for boats around the 15 year old point have 渡ew aluminum fuel tanks. Two weeks ago I met a 2002 MS 390 trawler owner at a marina and during our discussion he complained about a leaking tank. And a 2004 Pilot 30-II owner whom I致e been fortunate to hook up with told me he just had to replace his port fuel tank and had to remove the engine to do so.

Is this normal for aluminum fuel tanks, such that I should be limiting my search to purchase a 30 with new fuel tanks in order to avoid a major expense?

I haven稚 found a thread on this forum that addresses this for aluminum tanks.

Any experience or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

First, welcome aboard. Second, it would probably be best to start a new thread since it is a new topic. While I am not familiar with these specific boats, in general aluminum tanks last much longer than 15 years. It could be an installation issue on these particular boats, poor installation maybe. Most steel fuel tanks go 30+ years if installed properly. Aluminum should go longer if installed properly.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: green cove springs
thanks for all your replies. i've decided to replace as is. we're heading south soon so my mechanic will do it over the winter.

one final observation. the pilots have this aircraft grade hose in part of the fuel supply but plain old rubber/barb hose from the racor to the engine in a place which is way more exposed than the lines from the tanks to the racor.