New Owners of Cartouche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshulan

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
My wife (Legia) and I are now the new, very proud owners of Ed and Joanne Billings’ wonderful MS 390, Cartouche. They had done a masterful job of being the custodians of Cartouche and we are very lucky to have been able to sign on as the newest caretakers. While bought and paid for, there’s going to be a couple of week delay for paperwork to be completed to enable us to bring her back to NJ (Customs and such), so we will be heading back up to Ontario early August to get ready for our first great adventure with her.

Thanks to all of you on this forum who have answered all my questions.

And now, one more question:

Has anyone gotten their 390 documented themselves? In addition to other forms, I’m filling out a required form, Application for Simplified Measurement, since the boat was never documented before and with the boat in the water and in Canada now, getting the measurements are tough. If you’ve done it and have the form, I’d be grateful for any help

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. If you have line drawings of the boat you can use them to get the measurements for the documentation. I did a Trojan that way.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the back of my memory there is the thought that you do not have to go through an admeasurement when a the USCG already has that data from other boats from the same molds.

As an aside, my previous boat was documented, but the current one is not. Life is so much easier without documentation if you can accept the state numerals on the hull (my only real reason for carrying on documentation for years).

I would prefer not to document her but since Canada doesn’t have titles, not thinking NJ will provide a title and therefore get a registration

My wife (Legia) and I are now the new, very proud owners of Ed and Joanne Billings’ wonderful MS 390, Cartouche. They had done a masterful job of being the custodians of Cartouche and we are very lucky to have been able to sign on as the newest caretakers. While bought and paid for, there’s going to be a couple of week delay for paperwork to be completed to enable us to bring her back to NJ (Customs and such), so we will be heading back up to Ontario early August to get ready for our first great adventure with her.

Thanks to all of you on this forum who have answered all my questions.

And now, one more question:

Has anyone gotten their 390 documented themselves? In addition to other forms, I’m filling out a required form, Application for Simplified Measurement, since the boat was never documented before and with the boat in the water and in Canada now, getting the measurements are tough. If you’ve done it and have the form, I’d be grateful for any help
Congrats Larry

It's been a long time since I did a documentation, but it is pretty easy. Unless you are planning on lots of overseas foreign port calls, it's not worth it anymore. Now doc annual charges are as much or more than state reg. If you have a bill of sale for boat, take it to your dmv and I bet they will register it without a hitch. You don't have to have the boat even in the US as long as you have the paperwork. Then put your decals and tag on in CAnada and enter US as a US boat.

If the boat is currently documented then you need to undocument it with the CG. Then you can state title it. If you don’t undocument it you will have an issue when you go to sell it.

Good point about documentation but since this vessel is in Canadian registration USCG registration can’t be an issue. I would talk to your state DMV tell them what you have and ask what they need. This undoubtedly will be easier than trying to document the vessel while in Canadian registration. Later when boat is in state DMV registration you could document. I still believe no duty is owed on a boat built in the US coming back from Canada and that you can properly register it in your state before it comes back across the border. You then are simply bringing a US registered vessel back across the border, no duty owed.

Back
Top Bottom