MS 400 Twins - remote oil filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got the same boat (MS400 with twins, '05) and have a remote oil filter on the starboard engine. The lines run forward to the mount on the starboard stringer. If interested, I will get pic next time I'm at boat.

I've got the same boat (MS400 with twins, '05) and have a remote oil filter on the starboard engine. The lines run forward to the mount on the starboard stringer. If interested, I will get pic next time I'm at boat.

A picture would be well appreciated!

Why drill the hole?
The steel in oil filters is thin and dead soft. Poke a hole in the filer with a ice pick type tool. No metal filings and no oil spinning off drill bit.
For that matter why not just catch the oil as you twist off the filter?

Remote filters can be mounted to a bracket on the engine as well if there's a good spot, they don't have to be on a bulkhead or anything.

Our remote filters are mounted on the engine itself. One engine, it's an oil filter; the other is fuel secondary and coolant.

Ours are Cummins, not Yanmar, but I'd have expected Yanmar has a solution like that too.

-Chris

Our remote filters are mounted on the engine itself. One engine, it's an oil filter; the other is fuel secondary and coolant.

Ours are Cummins, not Yanmar, but I'd have expected Yanmar has a solution like that too.

-Chris

I would think so Chris. They have an oil dipstick on both sides, thankfully, but the filter is a bear to get to. I had the help of a boat neighbor to reach it last fall but I really don't feel comfortable getting into that space...might not be able to get back out!

I have a pair of Yanmar 4HLA and the port engine had the oil filter remoted to the port side. About a month ago, 2400 engine hours, the hose chaffed through and dumped most of the engine's oil into the bilge. The hose had a steel coil in it and a plastic chaffe guard on it. However it contacted the oil pan on both sides and wore through the guard and hose. I suggest insuring the hose don't contact anything. Repair options were to get new hoses or go back to the factory location. It will be a pain but I opted for getting rid of the remote setup.

I have a pair of Yanmar 4HLA and the port engine had the oil filter remoted to the port side. About a month ago, 2400 engine hours, the hose chaffed through and dumped most of the engine's oil into the bilge. The hose had a steel coil in it and a plastic chaffe guard on it. However it contacted the oil pan on both sides and wore through the guard and hose. I suggest insuring the hose don't contact anything. Repair options were to get new hoses or go back to the factory location. It will be a pain but I opted for getting rid of the remote setup.

Very good advice, thank you for posting.

I'm confused though, my oil filters are on the stb side of the motors, that is to say inboard side on the port motor, outboard side on the stb motor. Why did you move the port engine filter to the port side of the motor? Wasn't it already there?

I'm a little bit dyslexic (not joking) so I sometimes have trouble envisioning this sort of thing and may be missing something.

MY Bad! I moved the port engines oil filter back to the original starboard side.

Back
Top Bottom