MS 34 FB Trawler fuel sender(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boiler81

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenity Beach
Vessel Make
2009 34 Mainship FB Trawler
So closing on a 2009 MS 34 Flybridge Trawler with single Yanmar (and fuel tank?). I told the surveyor during sea-trial that the FB fuel guage was not reading. He said that there was probably a switch since sender only drives one guage. Never heard of such a set-up.
Is he way off on thus?
Does a single fuel tank sender connect to both helm guages?

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Mainship 34 Trawler and there is a switch at the lower helm to go between the two gauges, it will not read on both at the same time.

I have a 2007 Mainship 34 Trawler and there is a switch at the lower helm to go between the two gauges, it will not read on both at the same time.

Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow when I'm at the boat.
I don't remember a conspicuously marked switch but must admit I'm not sure of all of their functions.

I would be very surprised if there were a single fuel tank. It's difficult to find that much space and balance the boat as well. There is usually a tank to port and another to starboard.

I have a fuel gauge switching system. In my boat they thought it would be brilliant to put the helm transfer switch at the upper helm. There is a switch that chooses from upper helm and lower helm. Each helm has a switch for port or starboard tank.

The late year MS 34 T/HT do in fact have a single fuel tank. It sits forward of the engine about mid ship and runs port to stbd and sits above the stringers.
There are 2 water tanks below the fuel tanks that sit port and stbd of the central stringers. The water tanks are x-connected via hose that balances those.
The set up actually works well IMO and I find little balance issues with either at any level of fill.
The water tank sender is accessible but I don't know if the fuel sender is???

Thanks, Diverrob and others who replied.

Yes, I found the switch on the lower helm station marked "FUEL" with a full pump icon on it.
Sure enough, toggle it forward, and the upper helm gauge came to life, and the lower gauge went to zero.

My project this weekend is to read the manual.;)

Back
Top Bottom