MainShip 350 Fresh Water Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeFlyer

Vessel Name
Retriever
Vessel Make
Mainship 350
I’m attempting to find a fresh water leak. Here’s what I know. I have an after market water gauge. I filled the tank to the half way mark. When I turned on the fresh water pump I could hear it continually cycle on and off. Furthermore there was plenty of air in the line when opening the sink faucet. Within a day the water gauge shows the tank is empty. So I’m now thinking there may be a hose or other fitting leaking water under pressure.

One other thing which may or may not be relevant. The fresh water wash down pump in located under a hatch at the foot of the stairs. I haven’t used that pump in 6 weeks but it appears there has been some water in that area. I’ve got a mechanic coming out next week to troubleshoot.

Here’s my question. The carpet at the foot of the main berth and the carpet in the port side berth became soaking wet coincidental with the water tank going from half full to empty! No rain, boat washing or other obvious exterior leaks. So how did the carpet become wet??

I’m attempting to find a fresh water leak. Here’s what I know. I have an after market water gauge. I filled the tank to the half way mark. When I turned on the fresh water pump I could hear it continually cycle on and off. Furthermore there was plenty of air in the line when opening the sink faucet. Within a day the water gauge shows the tank is empty. So I’m now thinking there may be a hose or other fitting leaking water under pressure.

One other thing which may or may not be relevant. The fresh water wash down pump in located under a hatch at the foot of the stairs. I haven’t used that pump in 6 weeks but it appears there has been some water in that area. I’ve got a mechanic coming out next week to troubleshoot.

Here’s my question. The carpet at the foot of the main berth and the carpet in the port side berth became soaking wet coincidental with the water tank going from half full to empty! No rain, boat washing or other obvious exterior leaks. So how did the carpet become wet??
Either hot water tank leaking (Under Berth in port Stateroom) or forward wash down located at bow

Blue paper towels show the presence of water easily. Lay some around all suspicious areas.

I was able to find a water leak under pressure by carefully listening when the boat is in a quiet state. When the pump cycles off listen carefully around the boat, opening hatches etc, you may be able the hear the water leak under pressure. If you are seeing water in certain areas and can't trace where it is coming from, unsweetened kool-aid powder can be sprinkled in dry suspected areas. But it sounds like you have a pretty serious leak, it shouldn't be that hard to find if you can trace the plumbing. If you have a dock water inlet, don't forget that water could be leaking from there too since it's connected to your pressurized system.

Cartouche - you are correct! The mechanic was here this morning and has found a leak at the forward wash down. The hose has come off the fitting and the threads on the fitting (pvc) are stripped. Now he's having an issue as to how to get to it. There's an access cover inside the anchor locker but not enough space to work on taking off and replacing the fitting. The mechanic thought about working from the other end of the hose. He'd plug it off for the time being but can't find it! I pulled out the schematic from the owners manual but that was near useless. Got any idea where the other end of the bow wash down hose connects to the water tank??
aPo67-IiQiSeEbnXv1ynIg

Maybe cut the hose where you can reach it and then put the hose bib on the end of a new hose. Feed the new hose down into the compartment and use a splice to join the 2 hoses.

The spray handle and attached hose have come off the pvc fitting. It cannot be screwed back on because the threads on the fitting are no good. The fitting can't be replaced because it can barely be reached with one's hand let alone a wrench. We could cut a larger hole to get to it and then patch that hole with starboard but I'm trying to determine how to access the large water tank located forward of the engine bulk head?? Thx

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

The spray handle and attached hose have come off the pvc fitting. It cannot be screwed back on because the threads on the fitting are no good. The fitting can't be replaced because it can barely be reached with one's hand let alone a wrench. We could cut a larger hole to get to it and then patch that hole with starboard but I'm trying to determine how to access the large water tank located forward of the engine bulk head?? Thx

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life
That's the holding tank not they water tanks they are in the lazarette one on each side

Ahhh - good Thx
Schematic could have better identified it ��

Back
Top Bottom