Kohler Generator 6EOZ Zinc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshulan

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I think I’m done with zincs on my Yanmar and now trying to locate where zinc(s) may be on my Kohler 8 kw 8EOZ generator. The Kohler manual shows the zinc near the raw water intake but with such limited space, I actually can’t see that. Have any of you with this genny changed your zinc and if so can you give me some guidance as to location and how to get to it?

The anode in my 8EOZ is located in the heat exchanger. You might need to remove the exchanger to replace it.

Can you provide any specifics as to where on the heat exchanger? And is it really in such a bad spot that I’d have to remove the heat exchanger ? Any possibility when you have time you could snap a picture?

Not at the boat right now. If I remember correctly it is in the middle of the exchanger. It is on the back side next to the oil pan. From the front side put your hand on the bottom of the exchanger and feel underneath to the back side. It should be there. Mine is 3/8 inch diameter by 1 3/4 long. The thread is 5/16 by 18tpi and the plug is 1/4 inch NPT.

On my 8EOZ, the zinc plug is nearly underneath the HX, on the end, at the RW pump. I have to remove the hose from the HX nipple on that end in order to even get a wrench on it. It's not too much harder to just remove the HX to change the zinc. I believe the dimensions that porman posted for the anode and plug are correct for my unit also. Hope that helps.

Guys, appreciate your info. Your input is very helpful. I will take a look at it today or tomorrow and figure out what to do as it’s getting pretty hard for me to do the gyrations it seems like are needed to do something as simple as changing this zinc!

It’s hard to see unless you remove the belt shroud on the aft end of the get set (front of engine). I finally found it after I too off the shroud. Not hard to change.

—Kevin

Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom