Generator on 2004 Mainship 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Finally got all the big hoses and Heat Exhange off to inspect, clean and replace. Very small area and tight squeeze for this big guy. Questions:
1. If I remove these Phillips head screws (2 on starboard side and 1 on port) will the generator swivel? Sure would make service a lot easier if the genie swivels!!
IMG_0983.jpg

2. I found the pressure cap. Didn’t seem to move. Is that where the antifreeze goes in?

T MACDONNELL
Bay Retriever
2004 Mainship 400

Tom, you need to push down on the pressure cap and turn. Mine was a bit stiff and hard to put any downward pressure given the limited space.

Can't help you with the base screws but logically it may work. Let us know if you try it.

If you do try to swing it out make sure that you have enough slack in all the wiring and hoses.

On my soap box again, so my pre-apologies for being an evangelist.

Get rid of that sound enclosure. it is not worth the problems it causes. Access to the heat exchanger is much better without it in the way.

Get rid of that sound enclosure. it is not worth the problems it causes. Access to the heat exchanger is much better without it in the way.

:thumb:

I had a Generator failure due to water accumulating on the floor of the sound enclosure, then being driven (blown, sucked) into the windings of the generator. The leak around the end cap of the Heat Exchanger, that caused the water to be there would have been detected early and fixed early without the sound enclosure, and couldn't have contributed to the failure without the enclosure.
My replacement generator has a floorless enclosure, so doesn't attenuate the noise as much, but I am happier to have additional noise and better design.

:thumb:

I had a Generator failure due to water accumulating on the floor of the sound enclosure, then being driven (blown, sucked) into the windings of the generator. The leak around the end cap of the Heat Exchanger, that caused the water to be there would have been detected early and fixed early without the sound enclosure, and couldn't have contributed to the failure without the enclosure.

My replacement generator has a floorless enclosure, so doesn't attenuate the noise as much, but I am happier to have additional noise and better design.

How did they remove the old generator? Did you notice how it was attached to the shelf above the bilge pump? I’m struggling with getting better access to the rear of the generator and could use some tips on how or if it’s possible to slide or swivel the generator on the shelf.

How did they remove the old generator? Did you notice how it was attached to the shelf above the bilge pump? I’m struggling with getting better access to the rear of the generator and could use some tips on how or if it’s possible to slide or swivel the generator on the shelf.

In mine the original location was across a pair of stringers, above a raw water intake but nothing else. To remove, a forklift with a long single blade, through the door. New location for the new one. I wasn't there for either, so didn't see how the attachments were done.

Ditto on sound enclosure. I have the same 2004 MS400. Just removed it but saved all the pieces just in case changed my mind buts it’s going in the trash on the next boat trip.
It’s so much easier to get to everything. Also replace that heat exchanger pressure cap if it’s more than a few years old. Mine was overheating some and Only thing we could find was the cap was not sealing well. Buy two keep a spare.

Ditto on sound enclosure. I have the same 2004 MS400. Just removed it but saved all the pieces just in case changed my mind buts it’s going in the trash on the next boat trip.
It’s so much easier to get to everything. Also replace that heat exchanger pressure cap if it’s more than a few years old. Mine was overheating some and Only thing we could find was the cap was not sealing well. Buy two keep a spare.

Hey Kent,

By any chance do you have a part number or specs on the cap? I'd like to get a spare and I won't be down at the boat for a few weeks.

Thanks,
Doug

I was thinking on Tom's original question before I rudely highjacked his post. Maybe take out all four screws so that the port side of the generator could slide back on the shelf as you turn the stb side toward you? No need for it to swivel exactly in place.

Hey Kent,

By any chance do you have a part number or specs on the cap? I'd like to get a spare and I won't be down at the boat for a few weeks.

Thanks,
Doug

Unfortunately not with me. It should be in the parts list if you can search online.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom