Adding AC to Mark 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodie99

Vessel Name
Winters Obsession
Vessel Make
Mainship Mark 1
So we are considering adding AC to the Mark 1
There are many brands of AC and several options.
I did search previous posts but the market is changing daily so looking for current opinions also and maybe a thought or two on size and location.
I have a 3kw generator so startup is a consideration although I don't expect to be on Generator with AC much.

I installed a 14,000 BTU MarinAire on my boat last year, replacing a 16,000 dometic unit that had died (I think due to poor wiring), I'm satisfied with the brand, I would have gone with a 16,000 BTU unit but I was able to get the slightly smaller unit faster and cheaper. I run it off of the stock Onan 3kw generator that came with the boat, it has no problems at all, mine draws 8-10 amps when running and about 15 at start up, judging by the amp meter on the panel. The 16,000 unit lists 10.8 running and 17.6 at start up, this should be no problem. Everyone loves to hate on that generator but I'm happy with it, it was mounted on insulating mounts and the PO added sound insulation in the engine compartment and below the carpet so it is pretty quiet.

Mine does a good job at the dock with the curtains drawn and a cover across the windshield, it cannot keep up on a hot day with all that glass especially when underway. Blocking the greenhouse effect it very significant. Typically, I'm running from the flybridge while my wife and 3 kids are hiding in the cabin on electric devices (but that is a whole different conversation).

My unit is to starboard, just behind the AC electrical panel and generator controls, I'm pretty sure this is not the standard location. My father had a Mark 3, his was to port, outboard of the fridge and flex ducting was run to a register in the top of the cabinetry at the forward port side of the salon and also a duct running forward to the stateroom. I liked this configuration better than what I have.

[STRIKE]I was pretty sure that AC was standard equipment on all Mark 1's, it may have been removed but you can probably find where the thru-hulls were located and the flex duct was run. I've seen a old brochure listing all of the standard equipment on Mark 1's and AC was listed.[/STRIKE] Edit: I was wrong about this.

Last edited:
All good info!
Thanks
I was a bit concerned about startup current and the generator but as long as I'm not running the oven, water heater and AC I think I am good.

Our AC is a 16,000 BTU that’s located on the port side aft of the sink. The ducts are the same as GDavids dads Mark3. I have no problems using the Onan 3kw to operate it while cruising but seldom have AC when on the move. With sun screens in place and curtain drawn it keep us very comfortable.

Well that's good to know for sure.
It looks like 16k is about the optimum size.
I have heard good things about Marinair but the Valair unit also caught my eye.
Having variable speed compressor certainly has an advantage but worries me since is a newer concept that may take off but also could have an electronic issue that takes it out of service and cost alot to service. It also costs more.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i am wondering a good location for the thermostat?

When I installed a system on our model 1 34, I put the thermostat on the bulkhead beside the pass-thru window from the galley to the salon. The vent was on the cabinet hung from the underside of the deck, on the port side of the salon, blowing aft. I mounted a small fan behind the vent to help blow the air across the room. I never got around to adding another vent to help distribute the air. Honestly,I don't reckon the thermostat location is too critical since the unit is more than likely going to run all of the time heating on cool days and cooling on warm ones because your boat has lots of glass in the salon area. That and the fact that fiberglass is also a good conductor of heat/cold and the boat has zero insulation incorporated into it.

Thanks!
I was thinking that would be the best spot but wanted to confirm my thoughts.

The thermostat for my unit came with an optional wired remote temperature sensor. I believe most brands come with this, they generally aren't necessary but offers flexibility if you find the system is short cycling or not conditioning the space boat adequately. I didn't bother to use it, but something to be aware of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom