2005 MS 34 Salon deck material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Carl

I am forced to anchor a rather substantial fold out sleep sofa to the salon deck to keep it from tipping when unfolded. It has a frame rail at each end with 2 screw holes. Can’t access underside of decking for backing plates. Considering lag bolts but don’t know the composition of the decking. Top layer is teak flooring. Anyone know what’s underneath and will it hold lag bolts? Any other way to anchor it?

You can't access the underneath from the engine compartment? On my 1999 350, it's a plywood deck beneath the teak and holy.

Carl
I'm wondering why you can't access bottom side for backing & thru bolting?
On my 2008 34HT there is access on port side of engine and relatively clear overhead other than sound insulation and ER lights.
Based on hatches in galley / stairway area I'm thinking the Vinyl Teak (PlasTeak) in laminated to plywood (1/2"?) and I'm assuming the salon is similar (confirmed by AC access hatch).
Thats not enough structural strength so there must be fiberglass structure / floor? Supporting the floor. Its hidden by the sound proofing blanket so I have no idea what the details are. My helm seat base is bolted to the floor but haven't removed anything to see what the details are.
Please report back what ever you find.

You can't access the underneath from the engine compartment? On my 1999 350, it's a plywood deck beneath the teak and holy.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately due to various medical issues it is difficult for me to access the engine room. I was hoping to avoid having to remove and re-install lights and sound insulation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom