Marine Trader 34 Bridge Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digger

Does anyone have the bridge's height for the bridge deck and the mast off the water for a Marine Trader 34? I can't seem to find and need to know. I have a 14' clearance on a bridge I need to pass under next week. Thank you, Dan

Welcome to TF, and good luck with that. I used to have a CHB 34, and from memory she needed at least 15 feet clearance, but that meant bending the whip aerials a bit as we passed under. But that's the problem. The are so many variations to their design and equipment levels, that it is almost meaningless to try and state an exact measurement. You really need to actually measure the vessel in question from waterline to highest rigid item, with as much stuff, like bimini, etc, lowered.

According to the sticker the PO has on my newly acquired boat, with mast down, to clear the flybridge console is 12'.. I don't recall with mast up but it was a a bit over 20'.

I have not verified this though.

Break out 25' tape measure, which is a very good thing to have aboard, and measure your boat. Problem solved. I wouldn't go by what the boat manufacturer says. Their measurement don't always include '' extras'' like a mast, radar arch, radar, anchor light and mast, etc.
My boat is 18'. Mfg. says 12' or so. Now I have a hard top and radar on top of that to bring it to 18'.

I just measured my 1997 Marine Trader 34 DC a few weeks ago. With mast down I I have 15 feet 6 inch bridge clearance with bimini up. With mast up I measured 21 feet 6 inches, but plan at least 22 feet. I understand it is different with other years. After crossing the Erie Canal, I learned the importance of accurate measurements!

I would not trust using someone else's boat measurement or even the manufacturer. I would measure it myself. Just search “boat idiots” on utube to see how many boats hit the bridge they are trying to pass under.

Yeah, measure it. Marina owner advised berth clearance at 19'-6"

Measured mast height at 19'-10" with water tanks full and fuel half full.

Cut the mast down - :)

You are not going under that bridge the way your boat is set up.

P.S., it is called "air draft"

pete

I would not trust using someone else's boat measurement or even the manufacturer. I would measure it myself. Just search “boat idiots” on utube to see how many boats hit the bridge they are trying to pass under.

Don't forget the tidies also.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I've made it under 14' with EVERYTHING down. 22' is what I plan on for going fully erect.

I've made it under 14' with EVERYTHING down. 22' is what I plan on for going fully erect.

How close were you at 14'? I think my flybridge clears around 12'. I will probably also mount an antennae on the forward part of the flybridge just a few inches higher than the anchor light as a telltale.

I had no problems on the Champlain Canal. The bridge to the Ft Edward branch was tight but we made it.

I'm being shrinkwrapped as I type so I cant measure anything.

I had no problems on the Champlain Canal. The bridge to the Ft Edward branch was tight but we made it.

I'm being shrinkwrapped as I type so I cant measure anything.

We already did the Champlain canal 17' is usually needed. I just don't want to have to fold my mast down to go explore more on the canals. I think 15' is required for the western Erie canal somewhere.

aft cabin roof

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom