engine room access hatch dimensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob328

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Breeze
Vessel Make
97 Marine Trader 34/double cabin
I have a new to us 97 Marine Trader 34 DC that is 1000 miles away. I'm going to install a new genset and wonder if anyone can give me the dimensions of the engine room access hatch by the main steering helm. I'm trying to plan installation and would like to know if I will need to disassemble the genset for installation. The genset is a new nextgen 5.5 kw with sound enclosure. I've searched extensively online without finding the info and would appreciate the information before I leave next week. TIA. Bob

Greetings,
Mr. B. Don't know the dimensions but you may be able to cut a large enough access hatch/hole under the steps that go down into the v-berth. I'm assuming, of course, that the genny will be forward of the engine...

I originally posted this because I was 1400 miles from the boat. I picked up the boat 2 weeks ago and have taken it from Sturgeon Bay around Michigan to Luna Pier, Michigan. When I got here I built a generator mounting platform out of doubled 3/4 inch plywood that I covered with glass mat and resin. I was able to fit my new nextgen 5.5 kw generator behind the Cummins after taking off the genset thermostat housing and fuel filter mounting. Also removed lifting eye off Cummins 5.9BT. It fit with bout 3/8 inch to spare after tipping the generator and twisting. Now sits behind transmission nicely. Now to plumb and wire it!! On the trip around I saw Comodave at Harrisville Marina and enjoyed talking boats for a while. As soon as I finish the genset installation, I am headed to St Augustine! After 45 years of sailing, I am enjoying the trawler life and have met many friendly trawler cruisers so far on this trip.

Last edited:
How is the trip going. Had a great time visiting with you at Harrisville. You are the first TF member that I have met in person. How is the boat running for you?

It is going great! My wife is really enjoying the trip now that she is on board with me. We are learning all the intricacies to the boat and enjoying the projects we get completed. It was nice to meet you in person, Dave. We are spending time with family and old friends before heading south to our home port in St Augustine. I certainly appreciate the fuel economy of the Cummins 6BT!
Like I said, I’ll probably be picking your brain in the near future! Thanks again.

Glad to hear that she is having fun. It was my pleasure meeting you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom