Anyone else out there with a MT 36 Sundeck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBG8492

Vessel Name
Growler
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
I have an 86 model and there are a lot of things about it that don't make any sense upon first glance - sometimes upon second or even third glance. Or - in the worst cases, even after staring at it and contemplating for hours... Therefore, I'm assuming that the PO made changes - and he's no longer alive, so I have no one to ask...

Like black water - how many holding tanks were there originally and what was the configuration of the pipes/hoses to and from - either pump out or OBD. This one has one 30 gallon tank below the galley sole, but the aft head feeds a Y valve that seems to have one pipe going to the tank, and one pipe going to the OBD seacock on the aft starboard hull. This makes no sense for a boat that's not crossing oceans. Plus, given the extreme distance from the aft head to the galley, it would seem to me that the ideal config would be two tanks - but I have no idea where the aft tank would be located as there are no empty areas in the engine room.

What was/is the configuration of the shower/tub drain? Where did it go? From what I can see, the tub feeds a drain tube to a Sump Pump mounted on the aft bulkhead of the engine room on the starboard side of the generator. That pump appears to feed another hose that runs across the boat to an OBD through-hull on the port side. However, that pump is not getting 12v when I switch on the Sump Pump breaker - and if you fill the tub, it will drain slowly into the bilge in a compartment right under the generator where the AC pump is located along with the two intakes for AC and Genny respectively. There doesn't appear to be any pump in this compartment. We found this out because the wife chose to wash clothes in the tub, assuming the water would drain through the OBD. When she saw it was not draining overboard, we started looking and found it immediately :D

I have other questions as well - just hoping to find other 36 Sundeck owners who might be interested in sharing info to help each other out.

I don't have the sun deck model. My boat was originally equipped with lectra sans heads so there was no holding tank, just went overboard. It was changed to a mascerating toilet with holding tank and no overboard discharge. I plan on another macerating toilet and another holding tank for the forward head.
We have wet heads that the drain just goes to the bilge. We don't shower on the boat but may install inline whale gulper pumps and discharge the showers overboard instead of the bilge.

I don't have the sun deck model. My boat was originally equipped with lectra sans heads so there was no holding tank, just went overboard. It was changed to a mascerating toilet with holding tank and no overboard discharge. I plan on another macerating toilet and another holding tank for the forward head.
We have wet heads that the drain just goes to the bilge. We don't shower on the boat but may install inline whale gulper pumps and discharge the showers overboard instead of the bilge.

I'm wondering if this one was similarly equipped originally. There was paperwork for some sort of "septic-style" system on board in a box of about 500 different manuals - I will see if I can find it. But it doesn't matter now because that's NOT what's going on any more, LOL

And yes - our aft head has a tub/shower that appears to go to one of those Whale Gulper pumps. If you follow the output side, it appears to go overboard, but it ends up in the bilge. I'm actually worried that the hose is busted where I can't see it and it's just draining into the bilge because the pump isn't working.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to get to any of that hose/piping - not through the engine room, that much is clear. There is what looks like an access panel at the bottom of the tub - I need to remove that and see if it's really an access panel.

I am eventually going to re-do ALL of this so I will be able to change it to whatever I want, but for now, I'd like to get it working until such time as I'm ready to re-do everything.

We've been very busy sanding the bottom back to fiberglass so that's taking up the lion's share of the available work hours...

Back
Top Bottom