Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   North Pacific Yachts (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s78/)
-   -   North Pacific Yachts (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s78/north-pacific-yachts-9040.html)

pedalsteel 02-25-2013 10:27 AM

North Pacific Yachts

Hello Forumites:

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone was familiar with North Pacific Yachts. They look nice and the website has some good information. Does anyone have any additional information as to how these boats hold up, cruising ability, etc. Looking for any information, pro or con about them. Thanks!!

RT Firefly 02-25-2013 10:52 AM

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

jleonard 02-25-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalsteel (Post 136991)
Hello Forumites:

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone was familiar with North Pacific Yachts. They look nice and the website has some good information. Does anyone have any additional information as to how these boats hold up, cruising ability, etc. Looking for any information, pro or con about them. Thanks!!

A friend of mine order and receieved a NPY 42 2 years ago.n He is very happy with it and the service he got.
If you PM me your e mail address I will give it to him as he likes to talk about it. You can ask him some specific questions.
Jay

Alaskan Sea-Duction 02-25-2013 12:37 PM

Welcome! I believe these are American made??

windmist 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction (Post 137028)
Welcome! I believe these are American made??

Nope, built in China but they are well done. A lot of boat for the money.

Ron

SteveH 02-25-2013 04:47 PM

We bought a new NP36 in 2007. We love our boat. Good solid construction. It came well equipped for a very reasonable price. Trevor Brice is very proud of his line of boats and stands tall providing excellent after sale service and support for his customers. I would have no hesitation purchasing a NP boat.

SteveH

boatpoker 02-25-2013 07:29 PM

We don't see many of these on The Great Lakes and I have only looked at one. Here are a few things I found.

The water heater was mounted directly on a deck with no airspace underneath and no hose from the pressure relif valve. This will lead to a very short lifespan.

Fuel tanks were not labelled as to type or manufacturer or standard approval.

The water injection elbow at the stuffing box was a flimsy plastic fitting that I would not trust for a minute.

No G.F.C.I. 's were fitted.

The AC and DC grounds were not bonded.

The AC outlets were fastened directly into cut outs in the bulkheads without junction boxes.

The AC and DC systems shared the same panel and did not have physical separation on the back side of the panel.

An inverter was fitted and the case was not grounded.

The engine compartment vents were in the cockpit adjacent to the saloon sliding door. Just where I want leaking exhaust and engine compartment smell to flow.

The fuel fill fitting was not grounded.

No CO or smoke detectors

No automatic fire extinguisher in engine compartment and no fire port

SteveH 02-25-2013 07:57 PM

Interesting. Other than CO and smoke detectors and auto fire extinguishers, none of what boatpoker said applies to my boat.

JohnP 02-25-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 137112)
We don't see many of these on The Great Lakes and I have only looked at one. Here are a few things I found.

The water heater was mounted directly on a deck with no airspace underneath and no hose from the pressure relif valve. This will lead to a very short lifespan.

Fuel tanks were not labelled as to type or manufacturer or standard approval.

The water injection elbow at the stuffing box was a flimsy plastic fitting that I would not trust for a minute.

No G.F.C.I. 's were fitted.

The AC and DC grounds were not bonded.

The AC outlets were fastened directly into cut outs in the bulkheads without junction boxes.

The AC and DC systems shared the same panel and did not have physical separation on the back side of the panel.

An inverter was fitted and the case was not grounded.

The engine compartment vents were in the cockpit adjacent to the saloon sliding door. Just where I want leaking exhaust and engine compartment smell to flow.

The fuel fill fitting was not grounded.

No CO or smoke detectors

No automatic fire extinguisher in engine compartment and no fire port

Wow, This does not sound like something anyone could sell---- JohnP

Datenight 02-25-2013 09:38 PM

Pedalsteel,

We bought a NP 39 last summer. Trevor was great to deal with as was his agent Andy, here in Connecticut. Our boat was very well equiped with components thoughtfully installed including the waterheater. None of Boatpokers concerns on our boat with the exception of auto fire suppression.

We cruised from Groton, CT to Nantucket to Block Island and Long Island last summer burning 2-2.5 gal per hour at 7 kts. About 85 hours from 1 August through the end of September.

If you have seen the photo (Soundings Magizine) of the NP Northeast rendezvous, we are at the far end the one without a bimini yet.

Feel free to email me datenight@aol.com if you have anymore questions.

Rob

baldpaul 02-25-2013 10:15 PM

When I was looking at boats, I looked seriously at the NPs. There are many of them in the PNW as Trevor Brice lives in the Vancouver area. So, the company is Canadian owned, but boats are built in China. I think for the price, you get a lot of boat. Having said that, after going on 4-5 used and new ones I determined the "quality feel" was not what I wanted. You know when you walk into a house, boat or sit in a car....there is a certain feel you are looking for. I was looking for a Cadillac or Lincoln, but got the Ford/Chevy "feel".

I did not scrutinize the boat further from a Surveyor or ABYC standpoint (not that I could anyways)....but if the feel is not right, why look further. Of course, they make Chevy's and Fords for a reason and they do fine for most people....unless you are looking for a Cadillac. Full disclosure of course....I have a Cadillac and it feels great, but has caused me more problems than any car I have ever had!:banghead:

FlyWright 02-26-2013 01:28 AM

A acquaintance of mine owns a 43 NP and loves it. Here's his website, including a page documenting it's construction.

North Pacific 43 Bushwacker

roguewave 02-26-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137199)
A acquaintance of mine owns a 43 NP and loves it. Here's his website, including a page documenting it's construction.

North Pacific 43 Bushwacker

That is one heck of a photo essay of the build :thumb:

alormaria 02-26-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 137126)

Wow, This does not sound like something anyone could sell---- JohnP

Nonsense. This is standard '70's Taiwanese trawler build quality. Most are easily rectified.

Codger2 02-26-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137199)

Wow! I don't recall ever seeing better pics of a boat! I could get interested in one of those PDQ.

Sailor of Fortune 02-26-2013 12:51 PM

Stand By for "SEAHORSE 3" ?

Codger2 02-26-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune (Post 137318)
Stand By for "SEAHORSE 3" ?

:lol: I really don't know much about the North Pacifics other than what I've read. My understanding is that they're a lot of "bang for the buck" and are a nice looking and well laid out cruiser. (As are the Mainships & they are faster.) But as I stated to Art in an earlier post, I'll wait until the end of March to see where my head is then.:socool:

Having owed 8 different kinds of boats since 1995 & having read everything I can get my hands on, I think I would go in the direction that Moonstruck has gone. That 42 Sabre of his gets you there in a short weather window, is very comfortable and looks fantastic! :thumb:
(Not to mention that it's the right length.)

JD 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137312)
Wow! I don't recall ever seeing better pics of a boat! I could get interested in one of those PDQ.

But you would have thought they would have gotten the windows sloping the right way.:)

Bendit 02-26-2013 03:52 PM

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 137362)
But you would have thought they would have gotten the windows sloping the right way.:)

What he said +1

Codger2 02-26-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Vinny, I'm assuming you're suggesting a North Sea Pilot house look?

JD 02-26-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137374)

AKA Nordhavn 40 or Selene 38. You remember the four days worth of posts about the effectiveness of the Bridge windows sloping aft from top to bottom or aft from bottom to top as opposed to vertical.

Just poking the bear.

healhustler 02-26-2013 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Obviously you guys aren't familiar with the PT 43' 1-2-B, often called the "Wannabee".

FlyWright 02-26-2013 05:07 PM

or this?

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/wp-c...nding-page.jpg

Moonstruck 02-26-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137374)

Thanks for the compliments on Moonstruck, Walt. However the North Sea pilot house look would disqualify Sabres.:D

Codger2 02-26-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonstruck (Post 137390)
Thanks for the compliments on Moonstruck, Walt. However the North Sea pilot house look would disqualify Sabres.:D

The Sabre needs a raked windscreen as she's fast enough to benefit from it. I think it's the slow boats that need a North Sea PH. (Whew..)

Codger2 02-26-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137388)

The scale on this boat looks even better than the North Pacific. What is it?

healhustler 02-26-2013 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonstruck (Post 137390)

Sabre 42 North Sea Express

Wadosan 02-26-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137409)

Helmsman 38 pilothouse.

Moonstruck 02-26-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healhustler (Post 137414)

Now, how did I know that would be coming?:socool:

FlyWright 02-26-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healhustler (Post 137414)

Beautiful, HealHustler!! You are the Photoshop Master of TF!!

:D

FlyWright 02-26-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137409)

Wadosan is right. It's a Helmsman 38 PH, like Windmist's. Great looking boat, very nice layout.

Alaskan Sea-Duction 02-27-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137503)
Beautiful, HealHustler!! You are the Photoshop Master of TF!!

:D

Agree. Where are the water skiers???:rofl:

healhustler 02-27-2013 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was aboard a Helmsman 38 at the Miami Show. Nice access at the stern with stern door and ample swim platform, decent salon with a port side stairway down to a stoop= through engine room door. Here's a shot of the ER from the door. You can also see a hatch and ladder going up to the pilothouse sole. Decent arrangement, neat, lots of shrouding though.

Codger2 02-27-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healhustler (Post 137658)
Here's a shot of the ER from the door.

Very nice! What kind of cruise speed does this boat attain?

FlyWright 02-27-2013 12:53 PM

Ron might step in here, but I think it's a 7-8 kt cruise speed.

knock...knock...knock...Hey Windmist...anybody home?

boatpoker 02-27-2013 12:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was raised in Fraserburgh on the North Sea, never saw any angled windshields. Thats me in the school uniform.

FlyWright 02-27-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137357)
...I think I would go in the direction that Moonstruck has gone. That 42 Sabre of his gets you there in a short weather window, is very comfortable and looks fantastic! :thumb:
(Not to mention that it's the right length.)

If you're moving in that direction, why not go all the way?

https://www.grandbanks.com/yachts/eastbay/46sx/index.cfm

https://www.grandbanks.com/images/yac...erviewMain.jpg

Codger2 02-27-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137677)

If I was cruising in Moonstruck's neck of the woods, (or here, in San Diego) I'd have either the EastBay or a Sabre. (Speed!) I love my little 32 Halvo but it's too slow!

However, If I were to find myself in the GNW, I would have a 42-47 GB Europa. (15 knot cruise, side by side births in the guest stateroom, full walk around, great salon and galley, molded steps to the fly bridge, entrance to the ER under the fly bridge steps, covered cockpit, etc. Both my wife and I really like the GB Europas. I like the Flemings also but I can find a great used GB for less money!

Sailor of Fortune 02-27-2013 03:16 PM

Walt, Instead of "SEAHORSE lll" you can call it "MOONSTRUCK TOO" or how about "STARSTRUCK"?

Sailor of Fortune 02-27-2013 03:17 PM

I can't do photoshop work but I did want to contribute!

JD 02-27-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 137670)
I was raised in Fraserburgh on the North Sea, never saw any angled windshields. Thats me in the school uniform.

Is that because they were all built by one company by chance?

dwhatty 02-27-2013 04:33 PM

Sabres...quality built in the great State of Maine!

Moonstruck 02-27-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137677)

Flywright, more comments like this one will get you on my ignore list.:D:D:D

healhustler 02-27-2013 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 137670)
I was raised in Fraserburgh on the North Sea, never saw any angled windshields.

Wow, Boatpoker. Fraiserburgh is like the Holy Grail of trawler ports. I envy you. I don't know why they call the slanting forward windshield a North Sea style and I don't know who started it. Krogen does have several of those styles that they attached the name to, including mine.

Below I've attached your photo of the moorage at Fraiserburgh with a rarely seen Fraserburg 42 prototype that I don't think made it to production. Sure looks like a Sabre hull though.

Codger2 02-27-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune (Post 137699)
I can't do photoshop work but I did want to contribute!

And you have!:Thanx:

Wadosan 02-27-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137666)
Very nice! What kind of cruise speed does this boat attain?

Cruise speed 8kts, max 15. Here's a link to an article from Sea Mag.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/wp-c...8CoverTest.pdf

windmist 02-27-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWright (Post 137669)
Ron might step in here, but I think it's a 7-8 kt cruise speed.

knock...knock...knock...Hey Windmist...anybody home?

Here I am. Been working on the boat all day washing the salt off from our weekend trip. I cruise at 7.5 kt and top out at about 10 kts with my 230 HP engine. You can get up to 450 hp with the same Cummins QSB 5.9 and cruise around 14 to 15 kt but I wouldn't want the fuel bill.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Codger2 02-27-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmist (Post 137755)
You can get up to 450 hp with the same Cummins QSB 5.9 and cruise around 14 to 15 kt but I wouldn't want the fuel bill.

It would be interesting to see what the fuel burn would be a 14/15 knots. That would just about eliminate "we sail on the tide" from cruise planning in the PNW. That begs the question: Can you get one with twins and if so, would there be any room in the ER for maintenance activity?

I really like the lines of your boat! :socool:

windmist 02-27-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II (Post 137759)
It would be interesting to see what the fuel burn would be a 14/15 knots. That would just about eliminate "we sail on the tide" from cruise planning in the PNW. That begs the question: Can you get one with twins and if so, would there be any room in the ER for maintenance activity?

I really like the lines of your boat! :socool:

Thanks! Concerning fuel burn, my 230 hp engine burns 11 GPH at WOT with a speed of 10 kts so a 450 hp engine going 14 kts would be a much higher fuel burn. I can't help you with the actual number.

I think twins where an option but I would think they would have to eliminate the second head to get the room for two engines and it would be crowded in the ER.

If you have an interest in one, you could call Scott Helker at Waterline
Boats in Seattle. He's the US distributor of the Helmsman yachts.

Ron

FlyWright 02-27-2013 10:27 PM

Ron, to me, your boat is the near perfect layout. Large salon, galley up, roomy cockpit, nice FB access (no ladders) and raised pilot house with a very comfortable fwd stateroom. Add to that, the articulated rudder and nice lines!!

That boat packs a lot into 38 ft.