New engine controls.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
After seeing what happened to forum member Dorr's Teleflex engine controls, I hastened my effort to replace ours with the Morse controls that I've had squirreled away. The Teleflex ones were still working but even with new cables, the bridge throttle was just a little stiff when moving it from idle to a higher rpm. It was odd because the bridge and lower helm controls are connected at the engine but the lower throttle moved freely. The linkage and lever-to-shaft connections were also getting a little loose so when I saw the pictures of Dorr's clutch shaft broken, I knew the time to replace them had come.
They weren't an exact replacement, since the Morse footprint is a little smaller. My solution was to cut a couple of backing plates out of 1/4" Lexan to cover the hole. I painted the undersides of the plates , the lower helm black which matches the engine panel & the upper helm white to match the console. It's not a bad solution, I didn't think, and way easier than fiberglassing the top helm. I painted the bottom of the plates so that you kind of look down through the clear plastic to see the paint. It gives it a little different effect than painting the top.
The swap was relatively painless but I will say, other than the cheaper materials Teleflex used, the Morse are way harder to connect cables to than the Teleflex. The Morse are more stout by a long shot, though.
Not the best pictures in the world but they give an idea of what the finished project looks like.

Attachments

• 102_0347.jpg
    102_0347.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 102_0349.jpg
    102_0349.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 102_0350.jpg
    102_0350.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 102_0364.jpg
    102_0364.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 102_0366.jpg
    102_0366.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 25
Good idea of painting the bottom instead of the top, it won’t be as easy to scratch the paint.

Back
Top Bottom