Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Boarded by Coast Guard (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boarded-coast-guard-37964.html)

BandB 04-15-2018 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDan1943 (Post 654492)
That is your FL tax sticker and has nothing to do with Federal Documentation of a vessel.

It is the Florida State Registration sticker. I made it clear it was Florida Registration in my post.

psneeld 04-15-2018 05:35 AM

2 things, the USCGAUX can NOT board you without a real coastie on board as "the boarding officer". The have ZERO enforcement authority except the qualified fishing boat examiners (forget their real title) and even then its limited to only the program outline.

Stockers from the USCGAUX and others may only get you out of a USCG boarding in rare cases in my experience. Because the stickers dont mean you are safe and compliant that particular day, only thatvar some point you knew what was reauired to be on board to meet a minimum.I used to tell my boarding teams to ignore them because the worst boaters I knew got them hoping the coasties wouldnt board them at their worst.

OldDan1943 04-15-2018 05:52 AM

They USCGAUX is supposed to watch you put the sticker on your boat so they know it went on the right boat.
NOW, question. What side of the boat should the sticker be suck?
I have mind on the dock side, port but, am I correct?
Dock side can changed..... I am thinking it should be on the helm side but, I dont know.

I invited a LEO onboard.... showed him around the boat. He was impressed with the two Flir cameras.

psneeld 04-15-2018 06:02 AM

as you said before, you knew more than the examiner ( not hard if you are an experience cruiser), so why bother with the exam/sticker?

Sure another set of eyes, but......in my experience..... not worth the effort as most any avid cruiser should be way beyond a USCGAUX sticker and newbies are often led astray by woefully inadequate experience/opinions.

OldDan1943 04-15-2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 654527)
as you said before, you knew more than the examiner ( not hard if you are an experience cruiser), so why bother with the exam/sticker?

Sure another set of eyes, but......in my experience..... not worth the effort as most any avid cruiser should be way beyond a USCGAUX sticker and newbies are often led astray by woefully inadequate experience/opinions.

Hey, she was new and I considered it an educational opportunity for her.
On your doc number and tonnage, remember to put the dot.

k9medic 04-15-2018 06:11 AM

Lots of discussion on this which is the same reason why I always invite a boarding.

5 years ago in another area of Florida, we were boarded while on our 23í boat. The boarding officer was young. He was professional but far from polite, to the point that my young son asked why he was treating us like ďbad guys.Ē

This was enough to prompt a phone call to his C.O. who was very professional AND polite and said he would address it.

This C.O. was also the same guy who mentioned the Hamilton letter that I now carry on the big boat.

For the new guys itís an education piece, for the older ones, a subtle reminder.

OldDan1943 04-15-2018 06:28 AM

IF as one contributor mentioned, a guardsman came onboard without his knowledge while he was underway, I guess from the swim platform..... If that happens to me, I hope he knows CPR and the location of my AED because he is going to need it. LOL

psneeld 04-15-2018 06:35 AM

K9medic....

this part of the letter was the mantra of every minute of duty I served for 23 years. Those that didnt abide by it were disciplined quickly.

Even after dramatic rescues or failed attempts where rescue crews were berated by survivors, families or media.... rescue crew kept their mouths tightly shut. A proud bunch of mostly exceptional people....but alas not all.

from Hamilton's letter....

"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."

Group9 04-15-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpierce (Post 654499)
Wouldn't be surprised if government officials monitor boating threads to select boardings of particular boats.

I worked as a federal agent for twenty one years. You give us way too much credit in the "give a damn" category. :D

ctjstr 04-15-2018 08:14 AM

been boarded once. I have nothing good to say about it. Not as bad as customs and border protection, but close.

toni

OldDan1943 04-15-2018 08:21 AM

Anyone know the form number to get the custom's sticker?
Can it be done on line?

I tried once in the port of Ft Lauderdale, they sent me to "preferred traveler". I thought I was in Cuba. The crowd was huge. I'm thinking it was not the right place so I left.

menzies 04-15-2018 09:11 AM

I have the links to everything on here. The DTOPS piece is what I believe you are asking about.

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com

OldDan1943 04-15-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menzies (Post 654595)
I have the links to everything on here. The DTOPS piece is what I believe you are asking about.

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com

With all those requirements, maybe I will just go instead to Ohio. :rofl:

IRENE 04-15-2018 10:31 AM

An article at the link below provides a concise overview of the authority for a USCG boarding (NOT a USCG Auxiliary examination or a state/local law enforcement vessel stop).

The Fourth Amendment Rights vs. Boarding Power of the United States Coast Guard - https://mblb.com/admiralty-maritime/...s-coast-guard/

IRENE 04-15-2018 10:36 AM

ALEXANDER HAMILTON'S LETTER OF INSTRUCTIONS TO THE COMMANDING OFFICERS OF THE REVENUE CUTTERS
Treasury Department, June 4th, 1791

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Jul/0...LTONLETTER.PDF

dhays 04-15-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpierce (Post 654499)
Wouldn't be surprised if government officials monitor boating threads to select boardings of particular boats.



Donít forget your tinfoil hat when you step outside of your pilothouse Mark. ;-)

OldDan1943 04-15-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 654618)
Donít forget your tinfoil hat when you step outside of your pilothouse Mark. ;-)

If I am that important to the government, I do wish they would pay me more.

78puget-trawler 04-15-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRENE (Post 654605)
An article at the link below provides a concise overview of the authority for a USCG boarding (NOT a USCG Auxiliary examination or a state/local law enforcement vessel stop).

The Fourth Amendment Rights vs. Boarding Power of the United States Coast Guard - https://mblb.com/admiralty-maritime/...s-coast-guard/

see post 66.

SaltyDawg86 04-15-2018 12:13 PM

I've seen my old man tell the USCG no a couple of times. He said "If you have to ask then no. Otherwise prove you can board then come on." They stumble over their words some then just drive off.

1 time he was close to the marina and was having engine problems (single screw) and the CG was trying to get him to stop for a "safety inspection". He said I'm having engine problems, my marina is right there and that's where I'm going. I'm not going to stop, you can hear the motor acting up so go ahead and do whatever you think you need to do. The CG said have a nice day, get to the dock safely.

In my area, this Homeland Security crap has gone to their head. They have no concept of safe speed or bear steerage. They can't even gently land along side a boat in the calm river and they are clueless when it comes to the ColRegs.

I have no problem giving them a smile and wave when they roll by, but too many times they roll up with an attitude.

78puget-trawler 04-15-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 654543)
K9medic....

this part of the letter was the mantra of every minute of duty I served for 23 years. Those that didnt abide by it were disciplined quickly.

Even after dramatic rescues or failed attempts where rescue crews were berated by survivors, families or media.... rescue crew kept their mouths tightly shut. A proud bunch of mostly exceptional people....but alas not all.

from Hamilton's letter....

"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."

Yep, Freemen. Right up until you take your boat away from the dock. Then you live at the discretion of the USCG and how they feel that day. But again, I have never been boarded and have the utmost respect for their mission and abilities as public servants. My uncle was in the CG and earned several commendations for saving lives, to me that is the Coast Guard. My father had his bacon saved once as well in AK when the engine in his old tug died close to the rocks. What I don't like is how the govt in its infinite wisdom saw fit to allow the CG to have the level of power that they do as regards the boarding of vessels minding their own business and bothering no one. It amounts to harassment and all the suck up language I have seen here about being polite, "they have many guns" etc., does not detract from the basic fact that when you are boarded by the CG for no reason other than bogus inspections, it is an undeniable but acceptable to most loss of freedom.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012