Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Boarded by Coast Guard (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boarded-coast-guard-37964.html)

diver dave 04-20-2018 06:01 PM

frogs, stickers and rubber gloves. So, my rule stands. any thread over 5 pages is for entertainment value.;)

OldDan1943 04-20-2018 06:01 PM

Liberty and freedom once lost is almost if not impossible to get back

Maerin 04-20-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danderer (Post 656302)
Looking at 33 CFR 83 as cited above, I'd read it that the operator needs to carry a copy of 33 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter E - INLAND NAVIGATION RULES (those being "the Rules"), not the Colregs.

A BOATER’S GUIDE TO THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATS -- which I believe is a CG pub, or at least hosted on the CG Boating Safety Division site -- also specifies "Inland Only".

I'm bored and pedantic today.

Boredom notwithstanding, you are correct. :thumb:

Simi 60 04-20-2018 06:08 PM

A quick google search on american freedom lost brings up some interesting reading

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...obile&ie=UTF-8

Alaskan Sea-Duction 04-20-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmason (Post 656333)
Just to confuse y'all a bit, in CT you will receive a different color "state registration" sticker if your boat is documented than if it is not. Ha.

Wow! In Alaska, if you are documented, no sticker or registration fees.:thumb:

You all need to get your legislatures to stop robbing you....:dance::D

Alaskan Sea-Duction 04-20-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diver dave (Post 656386)
frogs, stickers and rubber gloves. So, my rule stands. any thread over 5 pages is for entertainment value.;)

Awesome! I am laughing out loud! :thumb:

Gordon J 04-20-2018 10:43 PM

NAVCENT doesn’t count

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maerin (Post 656296)
For some documents, yes. For the Colregs, no. It must be a ready reference. But don't take MY word for it.... From the NAVCEN FAQ list:
Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular No. 01-16 announced the following electronic publications are acceptable:
  • U.S. Coast Pilot,
  • Sailing Directions,
  • Coast Guard Light List,
  • List of Lights,
  • tide-current and river-current tables,
  • Notice to Mariners,
  • Local Notice to Mariners,
  • Notices to Navigation, and
  • Vessel Traffic Services Rules.
Paper copies of certain publications are still required, including those not specifically listed in NVIC 01-16. Some examples are:
  • Inland Rules (domestic regulation),
  • International Code of Signals and Volume (SOLAS requirement), and
  • Volume III of the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual (SOLAS requirement)
These publications are required in hard-copy because meeting the access and "ready reference" requirements may be challenging for many electronic devices.
Simple answers aren't in style when it comes to bureaucratic requirements!

I am not in the navy and am not required to follow a Navy regulations. Federal law yes, naval regulations no.

markpierce 04-20-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction (Post 656461)
Wow! In Alaska, if you are documented, no sticker or registration fees.:thumb:

You all need to get your legislatures to stop robbing you....:dance::D

Same here in California. Please don't bring this exemption from state registration to the attention of the governor or legislature.

Alaskan Sea-Duction 04-20-2018 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Uscg????

dhays 04-21-2018 01:08 AM

OK, this thread has gone completely off the rails.

Gmarr 04-21-2018 08:36 AM

When being boarded, what kind of anchor do the Coasties comment on the most?

OldDan1943 04-21-2018 09:31 AM

My boat is documented and is docked in FL with a home port in GA.
I am not about to ask GA if I still need anything displayed other than the name and home port. I dont want their grubby little hands reaching into my wallet.
When the locals point out, I do not display a GA or FL number, I tell them, a documented does not need those numbers. I dont have a FL tax decal because I am home ported in GA. They seem to accept this explanation. If am wrong, dont tell me. I rather bask in my ignorance. LOL IF proven wrong, by someone in authority, I will reluctantly correct the situation, pleading ignorance.
PLEASE do not tell me I am wrong. And I hope you will not turn me in. LOL

SoWhat 04-21-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDan1943 (Post 656550)
My boat is documented and is docked in FL with a home port in GA. I am not about to ask GA if I still need anything displayed other than the name and home port. I dont want their grubby little hands reaching into my wallet. When the locals point out, I do not display a GA or FL number, I tell them, a documented does not need those numbers. I dont have a FL tax decal because I am home ported in GA.

A documented vessel must be registered in Florida, if used on Florida waters for longer than 90 days. In other words, you need to pay a registration fee if you dock your boat in FL for 91 days. Stiffing FL for the fees is a misdemeanor and not something I would be proud of.

OldDan1943 04-21-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoWhat (Post 656560)
A documented vessel must be registered in Florida, if used on Florida waters for longer than 90 days. In other words, you need to pay a registration fee if you dock your boat in FL for 91 days. Stiffing FL for the fees is a misdemeanor and not something I would be proud of.

I told you, not to tell me.
FL would make a killing in this marina.
Seldom do the big boats move and they are not registered in FL

Larry M 04-21-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoWhat (Post 656560)

:thumb: Hobo’s documented out side of Florida but is state registered since she spend more than 90 days a year there. Why mess around?

It nots cheap though, it’s practiclly free. She’s more than 30 years old and registered as an antique so we pay only $4.25/year. :D

Benthic2 04-21-2018 01:07 PM

Sure...its only $4.25 now, but its the "gummint" !!!! If you agree to $4.25 this year, they'll make it $4.50 next year!!! THEY'RE GOING TO BOIL THE FROG !!! You need to get that payment back, and get two big flags to fly off your bridge. First a "Don't Tread on Me" flag ( the bigger the better !!) and on the other side a flag that says "Remember Ruby Ridge ( or Waco, your choice )!! And then, just to let them know you are serious, you should get a gun rack and hang a few AR-15's in plain view. And if anyone knocks on your door, just yell " I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!" and don't let them in.

I just saved you $4.25. You're welcome !

PS

Did you get a documentation sticker ?

78puget-trawler 04-21-2018 01:17 PM

snark, snark...

Larry M 04-21-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benthic2 (Post 656594)
...PS

Did you get a documentation sticker ?

No, what’s that? Am is suppose to have one? :rofl:

OldDan1943 04-21-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry M (Post 656604)
No, what’s that? Am is suppose to have one? :rofl:

Yup, stuck it to my forehead so all can see. :angel:
Got one of those tattoo on my butt so they can quickly scan it and ID me.
I wear a collar with my ID tag on it too.
A cop asks me, how I am, I will give him all the ID I have in my wallet in hopes they can find the assisted home from which I wandered away.

What ID I am supposed to have and what ID I do have are not even closely related. Think they will accept, "It's in the mail"?
This message will self-destruct in 3 days, if I can find it again.

Benthic2 04-21-2018 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The shark has been jumped.