Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Well, I just did something really stupid... (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/well-i-just-did-something-really-stupid-34111.html)

Bruce B 08-22-2017 12:12 PM

Well, I just did something really stupid...

Something I felt was next to impossible because "I always pay attention..."!
We are in Portland ME for a few days and I wanted to top up the water tanks. Normally I fill our tanks with our watermaker but not in a harbor like this one so...
While thinking about where the best place to purchase coffee I began filling not the water tank but rather the fuel tank!!!!! Yes with water!!!

I didn't get very much in before I realized my stupidity but, I am now awaiting the nice man with the fuel polishing machine...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Bruce

Seevee 08-22-2017 12:33 PM

Can happen to anyone. Do you think color coded caps would help?

Also, if you had a drain at the bottom of the tank, you could just drain out the water.

Bruce B 08-22-2017 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seevee (Post 585648)
Can happen to anyone. Do you think color coded caps would help?

Also, if you had a drain at the bottom of the tank, you could just drain out the water.

The caps do have different colored lettering... I'm thinking of turning the fuel caps red now!
Tomco builds these tanks without dip tubes. Rather they have fuel taps on the bottom of each tank. I believe it shouldn't be that difficult to clear the water.
I just can't believe I did this!
Bruce

Shrew 08-22-2017 12:47 PM

Honestly, I'd rather accidentally put a little water in my fuel, than a little fuel in my water. This happens all the time. I had a friend get 30 gallons of diesel in his gasoline tank. I had a friend put 20+ gallons of gasoline in his water tank. The one we hear about every year and still surprises me is the fuel in the rod holder. A rod holder looks nothing like a deckplate. Talk about not paying attention!

I'm so glad my water is in a completely different spot than my fuel. My biggest fear is that the pumpout will hook up to the stbd fuel tank accidentally because they are right next to each other.

AlaskaProf 08-22-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seevee (Post 585648)
Can happen to anyone. Do you think color coded caps would help?.

I have three different wrenches: fuel, water, waste. Only.

psneeld 08-22-2017 01:05 PM

Lets see how all the "strive for perfection" TFers respond.

Some are not forgiving of errors on any level.

If you wait a day, you can siphon off the water on the bottom of the tank without expensive polishing...if you can get a tube to the bottom.

Bruce B 08-22-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 585658)

If you wait a day, you can siphon off the water on the bottom of the tank without expensive polishing...if you can get a tube to the bottom.

Fuel taps are right at the bottom of the tank, no dip tubes.
Fuel polish guy concurs. No need to polish.
We will simply drain at bottom until clear. :ermm:
Thanks,
Bruce

hfoster 08-22-2017 01:27 PM

Don't feel bad Bruce. We all do stupid things from time to time.

Red cap on the fuel may help you to remember.

Good luck Mate.

Cheers.

H.

psneeld 08-22-2017 01:37 PM

Wonder if the we all do stupid things from time to time will carry over to the destroyer collision threads.... :)

kthoennes 08-22-2017 01:37 PM

I'm pretty confident that I'd never make that mistake, not because I'm cautious and perfect, but just the opposite -- even though we've had the boat for a couple years now I can never quite remember which side which deck fills are on, so I always have to look at the caps. And it's a good thing the caps are all chained down or I'm sure I'd accidentally swap them.

Vashon_Trawler 08-22-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 585658)

:thumb:

We have ALL made silly and sometimes costly mistakes. Top on my list is leaving the sea strainer top open after leaving port--I overheated within 10-15 minutes. As a result, I now have a checklist and review before departing.

We learn from our mistakes. I believe color coding is a fantastic idea! :thumb:

Lou_tribal 08-22-2017 01:51 PM

In my case the key used to open the cap is not the same for water and fuel this avoid confusion or at least reduce it

L

SoWhat 08-22-2017 02:18 PM

Fuel gauge broke so I used a stick to estimate what I needed. Then decided to add a little little bit more. Inspection gasket was on it's last legs so the little little bit more went right into the bilges. Many rolls of paper towels later...

cabin smelled like a diesel tank farm for weeks.

FF 08-22-2017 02:36 PM

Or with a built in sump , it would be a nothing.

dhays 08-22-2017 02:45 PM

Sorry about the issue Bruce. Sounds like it will work out just fine.

The good news is that Tomco put fuel drains at the bottom of the tanks.

The bad news is that the water and fuel fills are anywhere near each other.

Mine are in completely different parts of the boat. My biggest danger will be when I put petrol in my tanks instead of diesel. That will be a harder mistake to fix.

I suppose the biggest hassle will be how to dispose of the 30 gallons of water you drain off.

Deckape 08-22-2017 02:59 PM

Friend did the same thing,water in his fuel. He went to a sign shop and had them make rings to go around the fills. Red ,fuel, blue ,water and black for waste. Vinyl with a glue backing. Been on for several years.

Comodave 08-22-2017 03:02 PM

I had concerns that it might happen to me also. I had labels made out for each deck fitting. Blue label for water, black for waste and yellow for diesel. I mounted them on the toe rail right next to the particular deck fitting. I can still make a mistake, but more difficult now.

O C Diver 08-22-2017 03:20 PM

That's one of the things I really like about my boat. Fuel fills are in the stern; water fills are in the bow; no side decks to facilitate drag a hose to the wrong fill. Guess I could still put some fuel in the waste tank though.

Ted

AlaskaProf 08-22-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckape (Post 585704)
Friend did the same thing,water in his fuel. He went to a sign shop and had them make rings to go around the fills. Red ,fuel, blue ,water and black for waste. Vinyl with a glue backing. Been on for several years.

Long required for aircraft fuel fillers.

Bruce B 08-22-2017 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FF (Post 585693)

Or with a built in sump , it would be a nothing.

When I said the fuel taps are off of the bottom of the tank, I meant it!
No tubes at all, fuel (and in this case some water) come right out the bottom.
Should be relatively painless...except for the barbs coming from my wife...:o
Bruce