Xantrex out...Victron in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victron Project Update-

Project Update-

I completed the install this weekend and it worked with minimal issues.
It took me a while to get it to connect to the weak marina wifi but it eventually got up to speed....and have stayed connected so far....

Items installed-

MultiPlus 12/3000/120
Cerbo GX
Touch 50 Touchscreen
BMV-702 Battery Monitor

Added some pics of the final install...

Haven't left the dock yet so we shall see how it does when its put to the test..

Attachments

• 20201025_153241.jpg
    20201025_153241.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201024_180016.jpg
    20201024_180016.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20201024_114801.jpg
    20201024_114801.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201024_085315.jpg
    20201024_085315.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201024_085154.jpg
    20201024_085154.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 51
  • SmartSelect_20201025-154417_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201025-154417_Chrome.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 50
  • SmartSelect_20201025-154434_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201025-154434_Chrome.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 46
  • SmartSelect_20201025-154539.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201025-154539.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 41
I'm on the Victron forum with some of these issues and slowly working them down. No one there mentioned the Aux-1 and Aux 2 inputs being used as you point out. I'll check into it. I've got my Victron hardwire via the MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) to a Windows PC for access to the different settings.

The Brockerts

I have lots of solar and am as. backup connected to shore
I have the Venus ( bought it before the Gerbo came) and connected the relay1 of the Venus to the aux1, programmed the Multi to treat shore as a 'generator'
set up the generator criteria with SOC, voltage to use shore when it reached a threshold

I also use the Venus ( or Gerbo for you) to get alerts too the Blige pumps coming on, the door being opened . Since I am quite a long way from my boat.

The service and warranty of Victron is perfect 5 years. Had a repair during that time and an issue came after 6 1/2 years.. Victron USA told me ......"Oh you had a repair 3 years ago ......so you still have another 2 years as of today ".

mvdirona.com uses a mix and they are getting rod of their master volt

jefndeb

Just a reminder...point of notice.
I see you have a control panel....
Were you aware you can do all these functions also on the Gerbo?

Project Update-

I completed the install this weekend and it worked with minimal issues.
It took me a while to get it to connect to the weak marina wifi but it eventually got up to speed....and have stayed connected so far....

Items installed-

MultiPlus 12/3000/120
Cerbo GX
Touch 50 Touchscreen
BMV-702 Battery Monitor

Added some pics of the final install...

Haven't left the dock yet so we shall see how it does when its put to the test..

I sold Xantrex/Freedom and Magnum inverter and chargers for a long time.

Had a Trace on Sandpiper, then a Freedom, and more recent, a Magnum.

The older Xantrex/Freedom/Trace products lasted a very long time with no issues.

I had a Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger catch fire on my boat, a few years ago. A friend also experienced a MS2812 fire. There are many complaints on RV forums about Magnum inverters catching fire.

I now sell mostly Victron products, some Xantrex and absolutely no Magnum products.

I installed a Victron Multiplus to replace the Magnum.

Last edited:
I sold Xantrex/Freedom and Magnum inverter and chargers for a long time.

Had a Trace on Sandpiper, then a Freedom, and more recent, a Magnum.

The older Xantrex/Freedom/Trace products lasted a very long time with no issues.

I had a Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger catch fire on my boat, a few years ago. A friend also experienced a MS2812 fire. There are many complaints on RV forums about Magnum inverters catching fire.

I now sell mostly Victron products, some Xantrex and absolutely no Magnum products.

I installed a Victron Multiplus to replace the Magnum.

I'm curious... why no Outback in your mix? Just never took them on? Didn't like the product line? Customers didn't like them? Other?

I'm curious... why no Outback in your mix? Just never took them on? Didn't like the product line? Customers didn't like them? Other?

I've sold a few Outbacks upon request but don't push them because of the higher price for equal output.

They are very rugged inverters popular with off grid.

I've sold a few Outbacks upon request but don't push them because of the higher price for equal output.

They are very rugged inverters popular with off grid.

Thanks. They are my inverter of choice at the moment, so I was curious why they aren't on your list.

Yes but I like a backup option if the Cerbo or touchscreen fails

His problem is easily solved by buying any of the several different Victron remote interfaces (including the Bluetooth to the phone one). For most people, this works better as the inverter itself is less accessible. I've had a number of Xantrex and Victron products over the years, and at this point will take Victron 7 days a week.

Without explaining your logic for taking the Victron over the Xantrex, it's very hard to extract any "value" from that part of the post. Can you explain ?

Without explaining your logic for taking the Victron over the Xantrex, it's very hard to extract any "value" from that part of the post. Can you explain ?

You sign up and that's your first post? Use the search function and read up. Page through a few threads. LEARN. No one is here to spoon feed you the answers. Otherwise you're not really bringing any "value" to the conversation either.

I could be wrong, but I think the Victron MultiplusII is the only inverter with 50A 240V switching that switches L1, L2, neutral and ground. That's a really nifty feature that simplifies installation and use dramatically. My Xantrex Freedom 3012 only switches 30 amps so I don't use the auto switching feature and have to do all my switching by hand.

I could be wrong, but I think the Victron MultiplusII is the only inverter with 50A 240V switching that switches L1, L2, neutral and ground. That's a really nifty feature that simplifies installation and use dramatically. My Xantrex Freedom 3012 only switches 30 amps so I don't use the auto switching feature and have to do all my switching by hand.

Which model?

For switching both L1 and L2 of a split phase supply with 1 inverter, it's specifically the Multiplus and Quattro 2x120 models that do it. There are a few minor limitations compared to using stacked inverters in split phase, but also some advantages. In particular, if you have 240V loads on board, the 2x120 units are not a fit, as they feed both phases in parallel at 120V when inverting (or if only the L1 phase is powered on the input), so they can't power 240V loads when inverting.

For switching both L1 and L2 of a split phase supply with 1 inverter, it's specifically the Multiplus and Quattro 2x120 models that do it. There are a few minor limitations compared to using stacked inverters in split phase, but also some advantages. In particular, if you have 240V loads on board, the 2x120 units are not a fit, as they feed both phases in parallel at 120V when inverting (or if only the L1 phase is powered on the input), so they can't power 240V loads when inverting.

That makes more sense. That particular device is quite unique, but is a good fit if it matches your electrical system.

Victron doesn't have any real split phase inverters, and in a split phase set up, the neutral would no be switched, just L1 and L2. That's what confused me in the original description. When Victron switches neutral, it's in a single phase inverter. When applied to a North American power system that neutral becomes L2, and the real neutral never touches the inverter. It's honestly a pain in the ass that they don't really support split phase.

That makes more sense. That particular device is quite unique, but is a good fit if it matches your electrical system.

Victron doesn't have any real split phase inverters, and in a split phase set up, the neutral would no be switched, just L1 and L2. That's what confused me in the original description. When Victron switches neutral, it's in a single phase inverter. When applied to a North American power system that neutral becomes L2, and the real neutral never touches the inverter. It's honestly a pain in the ass that they don't really support split phase.

How does the neutral not get switched in a setup with a pair of inverters configured as 120/240 split phase? Each inverter should be switching the line and neutral that's connected to it and they switch at the same time.

Personally, I'm thinking for my setup, it'll make sense going forward to convert my existing 2x 50A / 120V inlets to a 50A 120/240 split phase inlet and switch to using the 2x120 inverters (leaving the generator as single phase 120V output). Then it becomes house loads on L1, HVAC and the start battery charger on L2, which would give a usage pattern where the limitations of the 2x120 (no power assist on L2 when connected to split phase shore power plus all charging current drawn from L1) won't really matter. Only thing I'll lose in the long run is the ability to connect to a pair of 30A / 120V shore connections that are on the same phase, but that's a rare need.

Last edited:
How does the neutral not get switched in a setup with a pair of inverters configured as 120/240 split phase? Each inverter should be switching the line and neutral that's connected to it and they switch at the same time.

Hum, good point. I was thinking of inverters that are native split phase, and in my experience those don’t switch the neutral. I’ll check out the stacked 120 Victron units more closely. I know outback’s only switch L. Not certain about Victron.

Hum, good point. I was thinking of inverters that are native split phase, and in my experience those don’t switch the neutral. I’ll check out the stacked 120 Victron units more closely. I know outback’s only switch L. Not certain about Victron.

I just checked, the block diagrams (in the manual) for the Multiplus II show that it switches both L and N on the input side. As far as I know the other Multiplus and Quattro models do as well.

Back
Top Bottom