Type of Dingy, Inflatable or NOT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can tell you that we tried the Livingston hard dual hull. While it had lots more i side space over the inflatable, we HATED IT. Under power, the water coming between the pontoons hit the outboard lower unit and splashed up into the boat. It sucked so much. At trawl speeds, it was inefficient thru the water.

There is a way to stop that. It does require some fabrication. I did it to mine and it made a world of difference. Dinghy is faster and no water coming back any more. Mine is the 9' Livingston but even the larger ones could benefit. Why Livingston hasn't figured that out is beyond me as it would be very simple to do at the plant.

I realize it won't matter to you but for anyone else it will make the O/B engine operation planing a whole lot better.

There is a way to stop that. It does require some fabrication. I did it to mine and it made a world of difference. Dinghy is faster and no water coming back any more. Mine is the 9' Livingston but even the larger ones could benefit. Why Livingston hasn't figured that out is beyond me as it would be very simple to do at the plant.

I realize it won't matter to you but for anyone else it will make the O/B engine operation planing a whole lot better.

How?

But if you think about it... who really need a dinghy when you can have that:

36253_474957953422_83467838422_5875646_453127_n.jpg

I wonder what kind of davit system you need for that!!!

I removed the silly aluminum angle Livingston used to cover the transom.

I used a heat lamp after to ensure the plywood core was dried. Then I lightly ground the transom and laid one layer of Nytex and polyester resin to close the gap and seal it permanently.

Once done I clamped my two pieces of 1/8" thick aluminum, one on each side of the transom evening and squaring to each other and the transom. Clamped them hard into place and drilled two 1/4" through holes for bolts.
Then those holes, I enlarged and filled with thickened epoxy.
The two are enough for my engine.

I used some matching gelcoat , two colours, as the interior of mine is grey and the exterior is white, to blend in the Nytex. The colour split is covered by the riser.

At that point I cleaned up the alum. edges and corners and bolted them into place along with some caulk.

I could now measure fairly accurately the gap between the two plates and cut a piece of UHMW poly to fit between. I cut that so there was a 1/8 top hat each side covering the alum. plate edges so that the engine clamps didn't scrape their way down, peeling paint. Some small bolts were used to secure the filler.

I used the natural UHMW as I had some. Were I buying I would get black for the UV protection. The white will break down although I expect at least 10 yrs.

You will need to experiment to find the centre point and mark it with a pencil on the alum. as the little keel and the engine drive housing must be in line or there will still be a very small rooster tail, but no big blast of water to come back into the boat. I circled the clamp pads with the pencil once I was happy with the final placement. The graphite pencil will become permanent on the aluminum.

Unfortunately I don't remember that final height and I'm no where near home so I cannot measure or take photos. The engine was 14" from the top of the clamp ID to the anti cavitation plate so the riser is around 13 - 13.5" to the bottom of the small keel.

It made a huge difference. The boat is faster by about 5-6 mph with just me, at about 19mph, as measured with a handheld GPS [friends] and it will now plane, about 11-12 mph with both my wife and I in the dinghy. Before it would not plane with both my wife and I, only me.

My dinghy is the 9' Livingston with an 8HP Yamaha, two cycle, short shaft.

Over some time before I had used the alum. pieces and an ugly piece of wood for a practice riser clamping the thing into place with two cheap C-clamps. I cut small blocks in 1/4" increments as lifters to determine the final height and CAREFULLY kept raising it untill I got some aeration. At that point I dropped it about 1/2" to ensure the prop remained buried but not to deep.

I just put a deposit on a Gig Harbor Boat Works 10' Navigator with a sailing rig. It should be built in about 2 months.

I just put a deposit on a Gig Harbor Boat Works 10' Navigator with a sailing rig. It should be built in about 2 months.

Cool! We can race in G.H. this summer. My collection of tenders includes a 9' Minto. --on the boat deck in my avatar.

Better go to work, that's a $5K rig. Nice but not cheap!

We did a 12nm round trip before breakfast to check crab pots and see our dolphin, dugong and green turtle buddies :)

Have fun rowing that. :)

:thumb: Nevertheless, observing wildlife from the trawler works, and I prefer to acquire/consume sea creatures from a supermarket or a restaurant. :D

Last edited:
Cool! We can race in G.H. this summer. My collection of tenders includes a 9' Minto. --on the boat deck in my avatar.

I've mentioned it before but I learned to sail in a Minto in Gig Harbor back in 1963. The Minto was the first boat that my folks bought and was a little more than they could afford.

Yeah, definitely not cheap, particularly with the sail rig. It is an expensive toy that I hope to make work as a tender.

It's sort of funny that we think of something like that as an expensive toy when it's pretty much nothing compared to the expensive toy we're putting it on. The first time I looked at Kayak's I was the same way.

It's sort of funny that we think of something like that as an expensive toy when it's pretty much nothing compared to the expensive toy we're putting it on. The first time I looked at Kayak's I was the same way.

So true!

:thumb: Nevertheless, observing wildlife from the trawler works, and I prefer to acquire/consume sea creatures from a supermarket or a restaurant. :D

Aha, the Coot`s secret visit to Loch Ness revealed.:)

Yeah, definitely not cheap, particularly with the sail rig. It is an expensive toy that I hope to make work as a tender.

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but think carefully re the sailing rig. Why I say this is because we had a sailing capable tender. I say had, because it can no longer sail, because we found the space taken up by the rig, centreboard and rudder, and the added mucking around rigging up while out at anchor, which is much more tricky and arduous than on the hard, in the end discouraged the use of the sailing aspect, to the point we abandoned it. The ex-mast now stands proudly in the port stern corner holding up my Airbreeze wind genny. (See avatar pic).

Just a warning. Not saying you will find this such a negative, but you might...as often the dream is more vivid and enjoyable than the reality, and in my experience, anything out cruising that involves a lot of time-consuming or tricky messing around - or takes up quite a lot of valuable space, in the end gets the chop. Even putting on the protective covers on dinghys often falls into this category, if you look around at the number dinghys not covered, for the same reason. Incidentally, the hypalon Tinker Tramp I am referring to outlasted 3 covers, so I gave up on that as well. Is that bitter experience...no...just experience. :socool:

Peter, that confirms my decision to acquire a non-sailing version of my dinghy. Saved lots of $$ too.

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but think carefully re the sailing

You make very good points and you may end up being right about the amount of use it gets. OTOH, we like it when our kids go with us and they do like to sail as well. Time will tell however.

Aha, the Coot`s secret visit to Loch Ness revealed.:)

No, one of many flights of water birds heading toward the western Brothers Island located west of Richmond between San Francisco and San Pablo Bays.

You make very good points and you may end up being right about the amount of use it gets. OTOH, we like it when our kids go with us and they do like to sail as well. Time will tell however.

Yup. Same reason we went that way - all for the kids - well, mostly anyway. Trouble is the kids suddenly lost the interest when they saw what a kerfuffle it was setting it all up for a reasonably brief sail, before it had to be dismantled again to move on. You can't really tow or stow a sail-rigged tender. Again, ask me how I know. On second thoughts, don't ask... :D

Our 2 kayaks take up a lot of FB space, but it is worth it. Finding space for a dinghy sailing rig would be far more difficult but if kids love it, and it encourages them to learn to sail, it could be worth the hassle.
A friend acquired a Walker Bay with sail rig, it sailed surprisingly well, he moved it on for a profit but had fun meantime.

12' Rigid Boat. Best dingy I enter had. I've had sailing dinghies that I never sailed and ribs that I always had to maintain air pressure. This one has all the benefits I liked about the rib but it has storage in the tubes, performs better and is easier to maintain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 145

My Minto at the bow.

Attachments

• IMG_20150719_171722.jpg
    IMG_20150719_171722.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Yup. Same reason we went that way - all for the kids - well, mostly anyway. Trouble is the kids suddenly lost the interest when they saw what a kerfuffle it was setting it all up for a reasonably brief sail, before it had to be dismantled again to move on. You can't really tow or stow a sail-rigged tender. Again, ask me how I know. On second thoughts, don't ask... :D

Lol, my Dad was an optimist. He saw nothing wrong with drilling a hole though the bow of a Laser and glassing in a SS tube to use as a tow point to tow behind a 24' sailboat.

Once that worked, he thought might as well tow it with the mast in place. After that didn't result in a disaster, he decided to tow the Laser with the mast up and the sail wrapped around the mast (sans battens, there was a limit to his foolishness).

Yeah, that worked as well until crossing some bigger water heading to the San Juans. The Laser decided that it would be a good idea to capsize and turn turtle. Righting the Laser in the large swells and wind, with the mast wrapped around the mast and no daggerboard in place was "interesting". If my sister and I hadn't been there, I think my Mom would have just tossed the daggerboard, rudder, and boom over the side and left him to his own devices.

Our 2 kayaks take up a lot of FB space, but it is worth it. Finding space for a dinghy sailing rig would be far more difficult but if kids love it, and it encourages them to learn to sail, it could be worth the hassle.
A friend acquired a Walker Bay with sail rig, it sailed surprisingly well, he moved it on for a profit but had fun meantime.

We keep a couple kayaks on racks outboard of the railings on the boat deck. My thought is that the sailing rig can lay in those racks out of the way and convenient to get at. Rudder and daggerboard will be a different challenge to store however.

We keep a couple kayaks on racks outboard of the railings on the boat deck. My thought is that the sailing rig can lay in those racks out of the way and convenient to get at. Rudder and daggerboard will be a different challenge to store however.

I think one thing people miss sometimes is that on a boat like yours there is a lot of room in the bow and while that's not a place to put a 17' Boston Whaler, given the proper racks, lifts, and other set up the room can be well used.

I think one thing people miss sometimes is that on a boat like yours there is a lot of room in the bow and while that's not a place to put a 17' Boston Whaler, given the proper racks, lifts, and other set up the room can be well used.

Good point. The space on the bow is the least utilized space on my boat.

Back
Top Bottom